LDS VS Internet Sale!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again I point out this is the "Basic Scuba Forum" not the I'm already a divemaster forum. If you talk to your students this way you won't have too many repeat customers.

Mat.

What you want students that make such a potentially dangerous and basic error despite the fact correct weighting is/should be drilled into them time and time again.

During the holidays, the wife wanted to get me my own tank. I am known in our circles for my ability to suck some air like no other.. We have found that if I am on a 100 I can last as long as others on an 80.. so the wife was going to buy me an aluminum 100 for the holidays.

Upon asking our friends, the LDS owners, she was told that it was not a good idea and instead she should get me one in steel. Ever see the price difference? Notice some color options missing on steel? Steel. WTF?

Unless you dive with no wetsuit at all im struggling to see why anyone would voluntarily dive with an aluminium tanks and their need to carry extra lead to keep down when empty.

Cylinder material/buoyancy is very important. Colour has absolutely nothing to do when diving and i can't see why anyone would even notice yet alone complain about lack of colour options. Id actually say in this case the shop was giving good advice.

The DOT requires hydrostatic testing in compressed gas containers at regular intervals. The inspection is a dive industry requirement.

You can find the regulations here: U.S. Department of Transportation / Dockets & Regulations

In the regulations regarding scuba cylinders the hydrostatic test is required every 5 years no matter who fills them with a visual inspection required at the time of the hydro. You as an individual can be fined pretty heavily if you are ever caught filling a scuba cylinder with an expired hydrostatic qualification. To further this you can also be fined for overfilling a cylinder past its spec'd out service pressure. So the reach of the DOT is abit further than most would believe.

The inspections for every year in between hydrostatic tests is a safety related industry standard and with the exception of some, most agree its a pretty good standard.

Schott

I take back everything I said about steel trimming better than AL. His trim looks pretty good to me.

cozumel-2007%20%289%29.jpg

Seriously, you need some help with your kit and your technique. Good luck getting that through the internet.

Who stole that picture of me after a DIR-F course ? :)

In the regulations regarding scuba cylinders the hydrostatic test is required every 5 years no matter who fills them with a visual inspection required at the time of the hydro. You as an individual can be fined pretty heavily if you are ever caught filling a scuba cylinder with an expired hydrostatic qualification. To further this you can also be fined for overfilling a cylinder past its spec'd out service pressure. So the reach of the DOT is abit further than most would believe.

You are right about one thing. I don't believe it. Do you have any evidence at all? Specific applicable law? Recorded legal actions against non-business individuals?

With proof, I might even be tempted to get my spare air pool toys hydroed.:D

alot of manufaturers do not sell on the internet. I'm not sure how leisurpro gets some of it's equipment, but most items will not be covered under a manufacturer's warranty. If something goes wrong, you have to send it to Leisurepro.

Alot of the LDS's around here won't assemble it for you and won't touch it when it's time for service. They are actually asking to see people's receipts when they bring a regulator in for service.

I think it's ok to buy online but I wouldn't buy anything size specific because I can't try it on (comfort and fit), and I definately would buy my lifesupport (computer/reg) online.

What you want students that make such a potentially dangerous and basic error despite the fact correct weighting is/should be drilled into them time and time again.

Nope I'm all for correct trim and weighting, but I also know that proper buoyancy takes practice. I've just seen far too many times on the net where newer divers are ridiculed by more experienced divers. There are ways to point out issues without looking down on the new diver like the first poster did. It's funny how the same people are not nearly as out spoken in person. I also got the sense that the diver in question only dives a few times a year which makes it hard to get a handle on these skills. However there are lots of divers who dive only occasionally.

Mat.

Alot of the LDS's around here won't assemble it for you and won't touch it when it's time for service. They are actually asking to see people's receipts when they bring a regulator in for service.

Sounds to me like a lot of LDSs in your area need to go out of business. It only takes one good one to turn that nonsense around.

Unless you dive with no wetsuit at all im struggling to see why anyone would voluntarily dive with an aluminium tanks and their need to carry extra lead to keep down when empty.

Cylinder material/buoyancy is very important. Colour has absolutely nothing to do when diving and i can't see why anyone would even notice yet alone complain about lack of colour options. Id actually say in this case the shop was giving good advice.

Actually there are people that Alluminum tanks are better for such as some disabled people. Some people want/need their weight distributed differently than I do and that needs to be recognized. Personally I like my Steel 120s but thats just me.

Because of my location, and less of a selection of LDS, I shop around. Many things ill buy at the LDS because of conveniance. But at the same time, I have no issues with buying online. If I have to try something on, or its equipment that is periodically serviced such as my regs, ill buy at the LDS. If its non life support equipment, such as a knife or a snorkle, ill buy online if I find a better price. Especialy on large priced items. Example, a 13cf pony bottle here costs a min of $175 at the LDS. I can get it online for $99 online with shipping included. With that price difference, ill stick with my wallet before loyalty. And before people on here try to flame me for buying life support equipment online, its being used for a argon system for my dry suit and not breathing gas

Back
Top Bottom