LDS vs. Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they lose a $1500 sale, plus potentially your wife's gear sale, then they have some screws loose.

Or they simply don't have the margins that enable them to come close to the other prices.

When you take the equipment that you bought online to your LDS for sevice, the LDS may sugest that you have your service done by the online store that you purchased it from.:depressed:

I have found an alternate way to approach the situation is don't tell them where you bought it and if they ask, just say you bought it 2nd hand from a friend. I hate lying, but I don't feel I should be treated with contempt either because of my location of purchase.

I have paid top $$$ in the past for name brands from shops that no longer exist and when I took to other LDS they give so much friggin' crap about having paper work in order, is it photocopied, regardless I didn't buy it from them so they won't service it... yada yada yada. They'll tell you "don't blame us, it is the requirement of the vendor that we have to treat you with contempt and like a criminal" but turn around and ask for a 10% discount and they'll rave about how they'll go out of business if they do that and how the vendors have those favorable (to the shop) policies for a reason. I don't even buy or recommend most of the big names anymore because to me it isn't worth it and I've found equally quality gear from other lessor known brands that suit my needs well. But that's just me!

In the end, do what you feel best. If you like that shop, buy from the shop. It'll certainly make things easier down the road when you need a legitimate break and they are in the most convenient position to assist. I've made "political" purchases for that very reason, albeit very selectively.

Some gear you can only buy online such as HOG regulators (unless you are a lucky few that has LDS that carries it like TDL and DRIS) and DSS BP/w and so on.

Be aware, of the $35k I've spent on my diving career in the past 4 years diving, I kept every receipt (including training trips). I've added up all my discounts from buying online and whatever, I've only saved about $4k total so while it's substantial, it's also not significant in the scheme of things. Therefore I find ways to support the many LDS' that I care about, I just don't hand them over blank checks. There are many shops I want to go out of business because they are pricks, and there are many I would be sorely upset if the did. Don't be afraid to buy online, and don't be a cheap SOB. Just do what makes sense!

If you can't afford to be diving, then don't! But if you can, then you'll find a way to make it work out! Whether you buy from your LDS or not, one great way to make them happy is to sign up for classes or if they aren't your type (they train by different agency then your preference) then refer people to them (if you feel comfortable doing so). Whatever, you get me point! Sooner or later, you'll learn how the industry works and how to be a part of it even if in protest you still have to support it in some way).

My LDS prices are damn close to online prices. AND when or if my equipment were to break down or not available (i.e. in for service), they'd lend me gears for free until the situation is rectified.

Let me know when an internet seller can do that for me or you.

SCUBA.com can but then they are an LDS nearby my employer. Keep in mind, most online retailers are also someone's LDS, just maybe not yours.

The LDS I deal with claims that their best income is from the courses they teach. Of course the spin off sales from the courses is considerable as well. The new owner's business plan appears to focus primarily on PADI course sales
The service angle is why I bought my dry suit there. I was fitted up properly and when it finally arrived, it fit fine and I got the training to use it safely, at PADI rates. But on the other hand, after buying a BC that was too big for me, (though they had "fitted" me in the shop), and even after using it only once in the pool there was no offer to exchange or replace it. They did put it up as a consignment sale, so I lost "only" about $50. I bought my next BC online at a huge saving, and this one turned out to be too small, (diff brand so sizing didn't work). I called them after a couple of dives in it and to make a long story short, had my new bc in less than a week, shipping paid. My only cost was shipping one way.
As for servicing something like regs. If you buy from an authorized dealer, and it's the policy of the manufacturer, any other authorized dealer should service it. They aren't doing it for free. In any case you pay for out of warranty service, so it's all business for the shop.
Imagine going to a chevy dealer on your trip to have them say, "Take it back to where you bought it to have it fixed" Yup, I can see any of you putting up with that.

Like many, I try to support my LDS, and give them every opportunity to come close to internet prices. They often get my business even with higher prices, but I don't get stupid about it.
In turn, the owner is finding ways to bring his prices closer the internet without losing on his end. He appears to be thriving so far.

Definitely try to support your LDS whenever possible. I am the Service Manager at a LDS and completely understand you wanting to save the $500.00. Being heavily involved in the retail side of the business also, I can tell you that if the site you're wanting to mail-order from is truely a manufacture sponsored retailer, then the LDS should be able to get close to those prices. We do that whenever we can....it just makes good business sense. On the flip side, if your LDS struggles and goes under because it's customers don't want to put out the extra 10-20% over Internet pricing to support it, will the Internet Store be able to fill your tanks or provide you with Continued Ed. training? Before running straight to the online, out of country warehouse - at least call or stop by the LDS with the pricing you found and see what they can do for you. A reputable shop will at least TRY to take care of you. If they won't even give it a shot, I'd be looking for a new shop to associate with.

Like every single other instance in business, support the business you value the most. Vote with your wallet.

If supporting your LDS is more important to you than your money, go there. If money is more important, buy online. If you make the decision to buy online, give your LDS a chance to meet the pricing.

The majority of the time (lately, anyway) shops make the majority of their hardware $$ off people who don't think to look online and just buy off the shelf. If you let them know you've found better pricing on identical deals, they just give you the pricing from what I've seen. Though, I live in Dallas, and Scuba Toys is local to me. They've set the local market straight on gouging.

Yeah... Scuba Toys is pretty great. Walking into there shop in Dallas was a real eye opener. They literally had stuff hanging from the rafters, and the place wasn't small to begin with. I was also impressed with the guy who was helping me get geared up, and even though I was buying an awesome package he still threw in about $65 worth of free stuff. I will definitely be going back there for more gear, but I'll also be sticking closer to home to support the LDS on my side of town especially for things like training.

One shop here in the area that I went to though the manager about chewed my head off for just mentioning LeisurePro. That was the first and will be the last time I ever visit that shop. This really should be a lesson for the LDSs. The Internet is here to stay, and being abusive to your customers for shopping around is not the way to earn new customers or repeat business.

If a dive store tells you to get it serviced elsewhere, they may be doing you a favor. Places like Scuba Toys and Diver's Direct have techs that do service full-time, and get very good at it.

The dive store in Mount Dora, FL closes this week. Did we support them? They quoted my pal Mike "about $100" to hydro and VIP one of his cylinders. How can we support that?

If a dive store tells you to get it serviced elsewhere, they may be doing you a favor. Places like Scuba Toys and Diver's Direct have techs that do service full-time, and get very good at it.

The dive store in Mount Dora, FL closes this week. Did we support them? They quoted my pal Mike "about $100" to hydro and VIP one of his cylinders. How can we support that?

nevermind

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom