List the Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think time of year (high season vs low season) will have be a big factor when it comes to variety at the buffet (at all of the AI's) plus one needs to be realistic in expectations relative to the AI cost. I can get much better food (from what I've read in reviews etc) at the Palace but I get a 2 week stay at Hotel Cozumel rather than a single week at the Palace for roughly the same cost in Canadian money.
Now someone said how much better the food was at the Occidental (didn't list Grand but suspect it was there & not the Allegro & didn't say when which is important because it has new owners) but I had the opposite. Poor variety (the Grand) & NO service. I was much happier when our friend that chose it went home & we moved into Hotel Cozumel for the second week of a 2 week trip.

so I guess the obvious question is... what type of menu should I expect at hotel cozumel? lets focus on dinner here... are we talking poultry or fish? mexican fare, american or other?

Last edited:
All of the above. It's a buffet. Go to google images and search "hotel cozumel buffet". The pics returned are from lots of places but some have Hotel Coz in description.

I've been to Coz 17 times now, stayed at Hotel Coz every time, with AI every time, except once. In a nutshell I will say that I completely agree with ReefHound and cicopo. The food is good and unless you are the absolute pickiest of eaters, you won't go hungry. For the price difference the AI is a no-brainer and if you want to go into town every night and get dinner somewhere else its an easy walk. Dive Paradise is a fine and safe operation that I've been very comfortable with over many years. The only real complaint that I have with them is that their afternoon/night dive options are pretty limited, so what I do is typically dive with DP in the morning and if we want a twilight two-tanker or a night dive we'll book with another operator like Aldora, as an example, that has more to offer. Are there other good operators? Absolutely there are, and most will pick you up right there at the Hotel Coz dock. But on an overall basis I've found it hard to beat the Hotel Coz/Dive Paradise combo.

This is from my old Hotel Coz album and using the arrow to move to the right (or the left from testing the link it seems reversed relative to in the album) takes you across the buffet a section at a time. https://flic.kr/p/KQT4HQ
Looks like it was Pork Tacos that night as the freshly prepared choice and in answer to your question I don't ever remember them serving steak. Again depending on occupancy & weather they sometimes have a Mexican night by the pool or a custom grilled to order night at the beach club which is usually seafood based. Last trip there was Shrimp cocktail more than once as a choice & on another occasion Shrimp Ceviche was made to order (at lunch if I remember right).

Reactions: jas
Hi @nuts4corals

My son and I stayed at Hotel Cozumel and it worked out very well. Our room was fine, good A/C, firm but reasonable beds, good WiFi. We got a tremendous deal on room with AI. Breakfast was good, starts at 6:30, plenty of time for hearty breakfast before going diving. We often ate lunch at the restaurant down by the beach when we returned from diving. Restaurant was open until 4:00, we often got back later than usual lunchtime. After lunch we often took advantage of the bicycles with locks and went exploring in town or elsewhere. We often ate dinner in town rather that at the hotel. With the great deal we had, didn't seem at all extravagant and many meals in town were also reasonably inexpensive. We also walked into town several times, not very far.

Everyone has their favorite dive op, Cozumel has many, many fine operators. We use Aldora ALDORA DIVERS Aldora picked us up every morning at the Cozumel Hotel pier. They have six, smaller, fast boats and a bigger boat when conditions dictate. Boats take a max of 6 divers of similar skill. We went out all this week with just 4 divers. Aldora is one of the operators offering bigger cylinders, we used steel 120s.

I'm sure you will have a great time in Cozumel, let us all know how it works out.

Good diving, Craig

After lunch we often took advantage of the bicycles with locks and went exploring in town or elsewhere.

Bicycles? HC has bicycles available? Is this an included amenity or a rental addon?

nuts, right now orbitz has a promo code happyfall that gets you 15% off. My partner just booked us for 5 nts Hotel Coz in December (and 3 nts in PDC) for $96/nt including the taxes. If you didn't match or beat this price you might be able to rebook or take a screenshot of the deal to ask for a price match.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom