Local Dive Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would need to look it up. As I remember, you must remain 100' from any swim area, fishing peir, jetty, except the past 500' that kind of thing.

Here's the scoop

You May NOT Spearfish (excluding bowhunting and gigging):

-- Effective July 1, 2001, Spearfishing of marine and freshwater species in freshwater is prohibited. Possesion of a spear gun in or on freshwater is also prohibited.

-- Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.

-- Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea--except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.

Is the bay considered freshwater?

Anyone know how long the jetties are?

You need a saltwater liscense for the bay. I'd say saltwater, especially at high tide, lol.

The shorter finger jetty isn't long enough UW. I would say the west jetty is more than 1500' easily, but I dunno how much it goes out past the actual shoreline as it borders land most of the way.

The southernmost east-jetty is also longer than the finger jetty on the east that gets dived the most. It also extends mostly out over water, instead of bordering more beach. Not sure of actual distance... Could be worth a look though, bring a tape measure!

Always have both, though , you can get away with a fresh water license in the bay. You would only be able to keep fresh water species. The most caught fish is catfish, even at the jetty entrances of St Andrews. Don't have a 1500' tape, would guess the FLC does not either. May have to ask them how long the jetties are. I never had one respond the the FWC web site to emails. Gray area is that the FWC Mullet in the bay. Mullet is on the spear fishing list, only you cannot spear them in freshwater???????? May have to use fin kicks to measure the jetties, or a 1500' rope. May make for an interesting dive activity for the club. Navigate, and map the jetties.

This would put use having to spear outside the bay in open/ocean water.

This is the web cam I have used for years to view the jetties/pass

http://www.beachview.com/destin_640.htm

Brandy

What's you dive shedule??

07:21 It looks nice, clear and crisp outside.

I want to take the boat out Freeport and drop some crab pots this A.M.

I will swing by Morrison on my way back. If it looks good I may go this afternoon. I need to find some more lost dive weight sfor the crab pots

What links to whichh other threads are you guys running now?

I plan to make a couple trips to the keys next year. I plan to use the scuba mobile. A 77 motor home, pull the boat, bring the compressors. Take a couple days down, stoppping along the way for camping and diving. spend abouth three days there and do the same coming back.

ScubaKris:
Brandy

What's you dive shedule??

07:21 It looks nice, clear and crisp outside.

I want to take the boat out Freeport and drop some crab pots this A.M.

I will swing by Morrison on my way back. If it looks good I may go this afternoon. I need to find some more lost dive weight sfor the crab pots
Call me when you go by there. Im just sitting at the house today. I dont have any work till next week. 850 255 0498

We have another dive and dine being planned for February 10th at Bluewater in Pelham. Everyone is invited. Bluewater is a great dive and lots of fun. It is a good alternate to ocean diving during this time of year which is so hard to plan.

Here is the link to the thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=173329

Brandy

I P.M. 'd you.

The bay was great, cold, but great. Just went out long enough to drop four traps.

Went by Morrison today, Flooded. The water was about 6 - 8' from the first bench on the concrete to the right.

My dog already has his life jacket on for Saturday.

I picked up a new fishfinder at Bass Pro today. I passed a poontoon/barg that my friend works on. My wife called him when we got home today. they had to cut out early from work. FWC got them. Short one life jacket cost them a $85 ticket.

Back
Top Bottom