Local Grinds - the chat thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had lunch at the coolest place today! It's called Brasserie Du Vin and can be found in China Town on Bethel. The atmosphere is fantastic! I would have sat there all day if I could have.

What was on the menu? It sounds French. Why was the atmosphere fantastic? Today after diving 5 Old Lady Sea Weed Beach, we ate lunch at Fishermans Warf. The architecture is similar to an Roman ruin and the view of the inner Okinawan reef is awsome with the waves gently breaking in the distance. The greens , blues, aqua's and the white sand are stellar. The menu of Fisherman's Warf is surf and turf, with lobster as far a way as Maine, even though we have 3' foot lobster on Okinawa. I have pictures. I had Hamburger Streak which was smuthered in gravy and had mushrooms on top. The lunch was a 4 course meal with an appitizer (chedder chesse sticks, salad, soup ( clam chouder) and the main course. The hamburger steak was garnished by carrots, corn on the cob, baked potato covered with cheese and asperigus. These vegtibles are rare on Okinawa and must be imported so this is very high class. Dining outside in 84 degree heat with a breeze off the ocean, was completely delightful. From Fishermans Warf we could see the dive site about 500 yards/meters north of Fishermans Warf. It was great to get some good chow in my belly before I had to teach Discover Scuba this afternoon. Close by (200 meters/ yards) is Yomitan port from where you can boat dive the Yomitan Whale Sharks. Service is guarinted 100% in Japan. There is no tiping in Japan. We were hosted, served and cashed all by the same 70 year old Okinawan Lady and we were in and out under 45 minutes. She served all four courses quickly and kept out water glasses toped off. I spent around $8 US which is reasonable. We had the place to ourselves for a while but then three other able tables filled up. Come to Okinawa and enjoy top service and awsome diving.

Click the link (blue text in my post) - it is like you are going to a different county/time. First they bring you a basket of fresh flit (French bread) with olive oil and balsamic vinegar - refilled the basket once or twice. Then we shared a serving of mussels in wine sauce with pommes frites and as a main course I had a Gorgonzola Souffle' with a small salad and Roger had Chicken in Dijon sauce, also with a small salad.....very tasty!

Wow! looks like a nice place. I have to try it the next time I am there. Not too cheap but not too pricey. How long were they there?

I think they said a few years. We asked about some background info on the buildings and all the waiter could say is that they've been there a few years and that it was pretty much all constructed. The garden area used to be an alley.

I think they are owned by the same folks as Indigo. It is really cool. A little pricey though. You really have to go there to experience it. The front room/bar area is like a cask room and the lanai seating has a real Tuscan feel.

My friends and I go there for drinks on Fridays sometimes.

For the guys, it has a real romantic ambience. If you are trying to impress a lady friend who likes wine, I'd recommend it!:wink:

it was surely more that what I usually am willing to pay, but the ambiance was so worth it.

Have you been to Indigos?

Yes, it is one of my faves, though I usually only able to go there a couple of times a year. They have a great lunch buffet during the week.

I've decided this is my favorite hotel since the Mandarin is now The Kahala....

The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel

I just had a suite for 120/night. I like the small scale beach front feel. BTW, the photography was

what I thought Diver Dennis should do with his work. I took pics...I'll post later (macro blown up big)

"
This is without a question the most charming outdoor dining experience in all of Waikiki." from the paper

The Hau Tree Lanai at that hotel has always been a favorite, though it has been a while since I've been there.

$120 a night is a good price for a decent hotel in Waikiki. Nice too that it is not right in the heart of Waikiki.

After cruising the menu of the Hau Tree Lanai, I think I am overdue for a visit!:D

Back
Top Bottom