Local Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not doubt that the airlines could develop the capability to raise the price on a flight simply because I have checked it out multiple times if they wanted to. What I doubt is that they want to; it would be a very short sighted strategy.

Owning a business, I sorta don't expect any favors/discounts. I do understand that an empty seat is lost revenue but then again, like someone said earlier, working a bit less one day isn't so bad sometimes.

A dive shop that I probably have close to half my dives with at this point seems to charge me less than the other people in line but I never asked or expected it.

If we got discounts on quantity, Pepsi would be paying me.

You're seeing shapes in the clouds.

I assume you're also going to tell me those trails all the airplanes leave behind in the sky aren't chemical agents of a classified nature the government is secretly putting in the jet fuel. One thing is for sure, it sure is killing a lot of bees. :wink:

Based on the inflation calculator I used, the $600 flight it takes for me to get to Cancun would be a bit under $400 in 1998 dollars. I remember airfares being under $200 then.

And I remember paying $625 in 1996 out of Seattle.

Anecdotes will go in both directions, but overall the direction of average airfares, in constant dollars, has been trending down since the BTS started keeping the data in 1995. See National-Level Domestic Average Fare Series | Bureau of Transportation Statistics, data charted below. The bigger part of the decline happened up until the Great Recession, at which point the industry was getting towards a genuine oligopoly (Delta/Northwest merger announced in mid-'08). But constant-dollar fares, on average, are down slightly even since then.

Air fares.JPG

Last edited:
I wonder if it is just a coincidence that AA and Sun Country are offering the exact same fare from DFW on the same das of the week (Tuesday- Tuesday) in July $313.

No coincidence. Suncountry's home base is here in Mn. Delta will lower their fares to match SC's prices on matching routes. They will raise them if their is no competition for the day or time. The nonstops from msp to czm have the same itinerary and more than once the SC captain has mentioned something about beating the delta flight to landing so we can get through the line quicker.

Sun country is down to $265 now while AA went back to +$500 on 7 days trips on Tuesdays in July.

Sun country is down to $265 now while AA went back to +$500 on 7 days trips on Tuesdays in July.
I just booked my next flight from CZM to MSP for $245 - AeroMexico serviced by Delta

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom