Long Hose in public

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnixSage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
You folks that dive with a long primary. Lets suppose that you are on vacation w/o any of your normal dive buddies. You setup your kit and whip out the long hose. Have you had a "random buddy" take issue. Any demand a new buddy because you "broke" the standard? Just courios how it is accepted by the non-dir dive community.

Thanks

I'm not DIR certified, but I do embrace some of the philosophies, one being the use of the long primary regulator hose.

I've never had an issue with any randomly assigned dive buddies on dive boats, etc.

I have had an occasional question regarding its length and stowing configuration, but when once explained the interrogator accepted the concept and we went on our merry way.

the K

UnixSage:
You setup your kit and whip out the long hose. Have you had a "random buddy" take issue. Any demand a new buddy because you "broke" the standard? Just courios how it is accepted by the non-dir dive community.

Theoretically, DIR divers do not dive with a "random buddy." In reality, I have been diving for three years with the long hose (even before I had any DIR training) and have never been questioned on a dive boat. In fact, most of the questions were directed towards my X-shorts, i.e. “why do you wear those stupid looking shorts ON TOP of your wetsuit?” Bear in mind also that the long hose is not a GUE/DIR invention (nor is the use of the long hose exclusive to “DIR” divers) and has been the norm for many divers for decades.

We get regular comments and interest and, on one occasion, a little sarcasm / agression from a DM, in Bonaire I think, no big deal. Most times people are really interested. A few people have switched themselves after finding out about the many benefits.

The biggest problem I have had is service technicians picking the regs up from the yoke and dropping the second stage on the floor.... I always clip the long hose off to the first stage now and carefully explain it to the tech before I leave it with them but it still worries me. Now - if I could only get service kits for my regs - I could fix that problem once and for all.

I haven't had a problem as yet. I just take a few extra minutes explaining my set-up before the dive. Since I normally dive with other GUE divers, it hasn't been a problem, but on my few single vacations, it has always been well accepted and evoked quite a few questions!

UnixSage:
You folks that dive with a long primary. Lets suppose that you are on vacation w/o any of your normal dive buddies. You setup your kit and whip out the long hose. Have you had a "random buddy" take issue. Any demand a new buddy because you "broke" the standard? Just courios how it is accepted by the non-dir dive community.

Thanks

We don't dive with random buddies or do solo dives. Not worth it. The team is properly assembled or the dive does not happen.

RTodd:
We don't dive with random buddies or do solo dives. Not worth it. The team is properly assembled or the dive does not happen.

I agree, I will not go on a dive vacation without a pre-arranged dive buddy and I generally don't dive with people I don't know. I will never get on a boat without a buddy. This is not a DIR thing - just lessons from (very bad) experiences.

I dive with non DIR divers in recreational enviroments. I always take time in the pre dive to explain the long hose configuration. With most people that haven't been exposed to it, I generally see the concept dawn upon them. The next look is one of thinking about which LDS carries a long hose for them. That awareness is pretty cool.

I'll dive with anyone who is not demonstrating dangerous behaviour and habits. Not being a "DIR" diver does not fall into that catagory in any way. It's interesting to note that RTodd and Grajan both demonstrate the very anti-social behaviour that has rightly or wrongly become the hallmark of DIR. If it were not for individuals like Uncle Pug and others, who have maintained their sociable outlook and approach other divers who have choosen not to follow the style of training and diving offered by GUE; I would have to join in with the majority of non-DIR divers in the scorn and ridicule of DIR. I'm just glad that the zelots in DIR are a small and dieing group. Diving is a socialble activity, not one in which exclusivity and exclusion is welcome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom