LONG post about a dispute with my LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As the one who did the censoring, I would like to note...

We will immediately censor threats, or statements that could be construed as threats, or any hidden threats.

We will also immediately censor any statements that promote breaking the law, or those that promote obviously unsafe diving practices. The list can go on, but we feel a personal duty to EVERYONE who uses this board.

There have been those that have used or implied profanity... not needed here. Please remove it. Sometimes we use our discretion to ask that you edit these references yourself. The whole "cat" discussion is a good example.

We do not care that you disagree... and do NOT require that you like each other. Hey, without a difference of opinion, this would be one boring, boring board. We would appreciate at least an appearance of civility.

At the bottom of every message there is a button that sends a report to the moderators. Please use this if you think a post merits our attention. A post does NOT merit our attention if it's only problem is that it disagrees with your opinion.

If you have any questions/statements/profane utterances, please PM me or any other moderator. If you feel that this topic merits more discussion, then please initiate another thread in the non-diving or support areas.

I feel it is an honor to be on the mod squad of what I believe is the best board, SCUBA or otherwise, on the internet. I do try to be fair, but I make mistakes. Your feedback, positive or negative, will always be appreciated.

is this post now closed or can we continue the carnage???
i am just interested if everyone has had their say and would like to put this baby to rest?

crrrink - whats the latest development?

So far nothing new is going on.
The 'missing' credit still hasn't appeared on my statement, so I've been waiting for the credit card company to let me know what's going on.
Maybe I'll call today to get an update - I figured this process would take a couple of weeks at least. I'm sure they'll give the owner of the LDS time to present his side and get paperwork together showing what he charged and credited.
I still haven't received the much anticipated letter from the owner - I was really looking forward to reading that to see just how he thought he was going to get me in trouble, but I haven't gotten anything yet....I'm not entirely sure if he has my new address or not, but the USPS should forward anything to me.

Anyway, that's the update for now.

If you have just been dealing with the standard "Customer Service" reps over the phone at the credit card company, I would not hold my breath. I have had really bad luck (& wasted tons of time getting passed thru the system) getting anything "fixed" when it goes wrong.

If I were anticipating a refund which did not go thru, I might start negotiating for a gift certificate instead of credit return. It may not be too late to turn this into a "Good relations" situation if it seems like your main concern is finding some solution that can keep you there as a customer.

I've been dealing directly with a lady who works in the dispute department for my credit card company.
I've got a direct number to her (saving lots of time listening to muzak!), and have faxed everything over to her attention.
So far she's been great - makes it sound like things will be pretty simple on my end.
I guess we'll see :)

As for trying to find a way to keep me as a customer - it really doesn't sound like they're interested in doing any more than they've already offered, which is fine by me. I don't expect people to do something above and beyond what is fair to earn my loyalty...we just have a pretty severe disagreement over what is fair.

Well, I've read the whole thread over the last couple of days so I guess it deserves my 2c. As a service oriented business owner I would have just refunded the money and said adios, it goes with the territory, and one really dissatisfied customer can do alot of bad word-of-mouth damage. I'm not making any implications but if you run into this kind of scenario alot and in other places of business, perhaps you should stop and consider what kind of customer you are. It's just a rhetorical question, but, is the $129.00 worth the aggravation you've took on to reaquire it? As for myself my time would be spent diving before I listened to more than about thirty seconds of muzak. :D

seawoof

I'm a nice, friendly customer, always, unless a vender treats me poorly FIRST. This problem is completely unprecedented, and this is the first time I've ever had to dispute a charge with a credit card company. Normally if I receive poor service, I simply stop patronizing a bad vendor and I'm done with it. If I get better than average service I do my best to bring as much business to the place as possible.

As far as the aggravation goes, the LDS would'nt have refunded a dime if I hadn't begun badgering them. Yes that was worth the $280 bucks they owe me. And yes, whatever else I have to do will be worth recovering the last $130. Besides, it shouldn't be difficult at all - I had to type up a statement to fax to the credit card company (had most of that done already in my first post :D ), they'll assess the situation and let me know what they decide. No big deal.

BTW, if the LDS had sat down with me and presented their side calmly and clearly, we would have reached an agreement, and I'd still be a customer of theirs. Not that I expect I'll be buying TONS of gear in the near future, but hey, you never know...

OK Chris, I really may never know if you or the dive shop was more "in the right" (obviously, I was not there), and there are things you say that rub me the wrong way; BUT there is value to having some customers throughout the economy who demand fairness & will not be disuaded from persuing justice. If more people kept after bad service providers & shoddy business owners (especially large-scale institutions with no real personal touch), no company would find it rewarding to ignore customer service. Because it is "easier" to just drop a dispute than to spend a year on hold with some incarcerated convict "representative" who has no power to do anything but wear you out, many of us just let large businesses run roughshod over us. I wonder how much money is forfeited each year to avoid an increasiningly frustrating appeal process? I have even heard that some companies rate customers based on how much they've spent there annually, & if it is less than a certain amount, the company chooses to withhold the expense of acknowledging complaints! (They never seem to skimp on the collections dept.)

What I am saying, my friend, is if you have the force, use it wisely. Stay away from the dark side. If you have the patience to demand fairness, you may be helping others indirectly. I hope you know the difference between reasonability & wearing down little guys who really are trying to do their best with limited resources. "God, grant Chris the serenity to accept the things he cannot change, the courage to change the things he can, & the wisdom to know the difference."

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom