Longhose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hobbs

Contributor
Reaction score
Longhose in a strictly Openwater configuration jacket with a single tank.

any thoughts anyone ?

When I single tank (120) dive I still use my 7 foot hose and my octo with bungee where I can get it without using my hands. I started using it when my buddy had a major failure at 120' and we had to share my rig to the surface. With him on my "factory" 36" hose and, me breathing off my Air II swimming together was a major undertaking. With the 7' hose movement is less restricted and everbody is more comfortable. I prefer comfortable calm people breathing out of my tank!

Dave

Aside from the obvious reasons of getting tangled and perhaps more drag, are there any other reasons to NOT go with a longer hose? IMO, standard hoses are a bit short to me, but I can live with that. However, I never thought to ask why more people don't add longer hoses?:confused:

I am strictly OW rec diver. I switched to the bungeed backup because I hated the long octopus hose getting in the way. At first, I simply swapped hoses and breathed ff the octo length, and used the primary fr my alternate.

THe bungee is fantastic, however, you have to have a hose longer than a std. primary on your primary so yu can safely share air. The octo length hose was routed over my arm, and it stuck out like a flagf in the breeze. Also caught on rocks, kelp, etc.

Switched to a 7' hose, it stays snugly against my body, creating no additional drag and less of entanglement hazard than even my original OW setup (i.e., no bungee). And I do not use a canister light.

I love it.

I am going to set a singles rig for our Scuba Board trip to the Sun Shine Coast of BC.

I will use a BP/Wing but I've been thinking about what length primary hose to go with.

I haven't figured out how the 40" is routed cleanly and the 5' would work but I still plan on taking the HID so I could use a 7'

I really don't like the idea of the 40" for the reason Dave already mentioned... much easier to control the ascent when you both have some room...

When you are on a short hose you can really interfere with each others buoyancy control... The difference is amazing!

I really don't think I need the 7' and a 5' might be to short to make a good underarm-across the chest-behind the neck wrap for me....

So I think I'll go with a 6'....

As for tangle hazard... doesn't exist.
As for extra drag... just the opposite.

And Scott.... do you mean to tell me you can't reach back and turn your own valves on!!! :wink:

I'm not sure how a 7' hose would work with a jacket style BC -- depends on the BC, I guess. I suspect a 5' hose would work quite well since you don't have to worry about "hooking" the excess around a knife or cannister light (or tucking it in the waist strap). I would try a 5' hose rather than a 7'. A properly routed long hose will create a lower profile and create less drag than traditional configurations.

Good luck.

Mike

Hey Scott, how'd ya like diving with my gear? A few weeks ago, Scuba Scott tried out my Halcyon BP/wings, single 95 w/H-valve and Apeks regs. Water temp was a pleasant 34F, and he dove in a wetsuit (eek!).

I use a 7' with a jacket BC and it works for me. I route the hose down the right side of my body and then under the right lower edge of the BC before going across my chest. The edge of the BC is enough to keep it in place and it is easy to restow.

Then again, I am 6'5" and 260.....;-)

Yeah, you know I liked it all Mike, and I want it all!!!
Mike was nice enough to show up on a snowing Saturday morning to hook up with someone he had never met before, just so I could get out a quick dive to try out his Apeks reg (see Poseidon Jetstream/Odin thread under Regulators) He showed up with a truckload of gear and let me try his backpack as well. Water was a balmy 34-35 degs. I was new to that type of setup, but I like it a lot - simple to use, but very effective and comfortable. Thats what I like.

However, at risk of peeving my LDS, I'm in the midst of purchasing a Sherwood Outback BC - why? cause' I really didn't know anybetter. I don't think I'll be disappointed with the BC, but after trying Mikes setup, comparing what I'm paying to what he paid, I'm kinda kicking myself. Oh well, live and learn.

Congrats Mike on 1000+ posting, it apprears you have a lot to say!

U.P. - my msg line about my air - I've jumped in the water too many times to count, all ready to go without turning my air back on. My buddy still makes a big joke about it ( I get him back because he forgets to hook up his dry suit whip most of the time and doesn't catch it until hes a little damp in the chest area). My arms are as long as an ape, but it is easier just to break down to your buddy and take some flak.

Originally posted by ScubaScott
U.P. - My arms are as long as an ape, but it is easier just to break down to your buddy and take some flak.

Just pokin' fun at you Scott.... :jester:

But it does give me an idea for a thread :idea:

use the same hoses on all dives. The necklaced secondary is very superior to the dragging octo, because the retainers never seem to work. I spent last weekend in Cozumel watching new divers dragging their octos on the reef. Yuck!

The hose doesn't have to be retained behind a canister light. You can hook it on something else or rig something up, like, say, a knife sheath on the right to hook it on. As I've said before, I hook mine on the bottom of the handle of my right side Halcyon weight pocket when not using a canister light.

I have a sliding bolt snap on my primary hose near the regulator, rigged with an O ring so I could pull it loose if it got trapped. When not using the long hose, you may clip it to your right chest D ring to keep it out of the way.

On the Cozumel trip, my secondary started a minor free flow. I clipped off my long hose, picked up the secondary, and breathed from it. The free flow stopped for a few seconds with each breath. I completed the entire dive that way, without incident. I found out later that the secondary had a plastic plug blown, which I'll get fixed, but my point is that the long hose and necklace setup made the incident very easy to deal with.

I think it is better to stick with the long hose on all your diving. It is only a matter of time til you get a backplate anyway, I'll bet. You'll never go back.

Anybody wanna buy a Transpac II, size XL?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom