Look for Candidates for New Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I had not seen much discussion about them. They look like Scubapro Jet Fins but are made from a lighter, less stiff elastomer correct? Are they neutral or negative?

Deep 6 Eddy Fin - Fins

Yes, much lighter and different material. Good for travel and wet suit diving. For me Jets are too heavy for wet, and especially for rash guard diving.

Deep6 are slightly positive in fresh (they even swim up if you take the spring off) water and neutral in sea water.

Do you mainly boat dive ? If so, add full foots to your list. They offer many advantages for the flutter kicking boat diver. Faster, lighter, smaller for packing, no sticky booties that seem to never dry before leaving. You can keep your open heel fins and boots for your shore diving.

I see many tropical dive masters using full foots.

Yes, much lighter and different material. Good for travel and wet suit diving. For me Jets are too heavy for wet, and especially for rash guard diving.

Deep6 are slightly positive in fresh (they even swim up if you take the spring off) water and neutral in sea water.

Always salt water diving so likely neutral for me. Sizing wise, how do they run? I wear a size 11 shoe and wear both 3 and 5 mm boots. I am guessing XL.

Do you mainly boat dive ? If so, add full foots to your list. They offer many advantages for the flutter kicking boat diver. Faster, lighter, smaller for packing, no sticky booties that seem to never dry before leaving. You can keep your open heel fins and boots for your shore diving.

I see many tropical dive masters using full foots.

It really depends were we go. We mostly do boat diving, but some places we do an afternoon or night dive from the beach as well. I think I want to stay with open back fins.

It really depends were we go. We mostly do boat diving, but some places we do an afternoon or night dive from the beach as well. I think I want to stay with open back fins.
I understand. Many people prefer open heel fins.

Since you mainly flutter kick, be careful with recommendations for stiff fins from people than mainly frog kick.

I would also bring your booties to the store. Your boot can have a big affect on whether or not the fin fits properly.

I understand. Many people prefer open heel fins.

Since you mainly flutter kick, be careful with recommendations for stiff fins from people than mainly frog kick.

I would also bring your booties to the store. Your boot can have a big affect on whether or not the fin fits properly.

Thanks, I frog kick all the time, particularly when exploring slowly. I flutter kick when someone calls me over to see something, or if I am head out into a light current for the first half of the dive. So I really do both types of kicks.

I just measured and weighed my Scubapro Twin Jets (size Large). They are 23.25" (591 mm) long and weigh 2.8 lb. (1,270 grams) each, so 5.6 lb.. They fit beautifully in my gear 26" rolling duffle. So I think I have a maximum length constrant of 23-24" for fins.

Right now, I know that SP Jet Fins in large are 21" (534 mm) so Deep 6 Eddy Fins will fit. Hollis F2s will as well 504 mm (19.-3/4" no size stated); F1 LT are 565 mm (22-1/4" no size stated) and F1s at 595 mm (23-3/8" no size stated) for example.

Cool that you do both types of kicks regularly.

To help narrow down your choices, you can use your current fins as a stiffness reference, if want something similar or stiffer.

Last edited:
Try Deep6 Eddy fins. I put my SlipStreams in the closet after I tried Deep6 ones.
I did the same after 10 years there are little smaller and more lighter

Last edited:
Cool that you do both types of kicks regularly.

To help narrow down your choices, you can use your current fins as a stiffness reference, if want something similar or stiffer.

I like the stiffness of my current fins, but In all honesty have no basis of comparison and they're split fins. I don't think that I want fins that are softer (but that is just a guess). I like the slight negative aspect to their buoyancy if I stop my feet will ever so slowly settle. Neutral would be ok, but being positive would be unwelcomed. I think I want stainless steel spring straps. Yes, the last shape of the pockets is important as you illustrate. I know that I have no comfort issues with my current fins with their pocket design. My booties have bit of a low profile sole.

The length constraint is fairly real. My 26" duffle is my staple transport for many years. I would not want a larger bag to accomodate fins. I think less than 24" (< 610 mm) is a real packing constraint. So for example, Mares Quatro Excel Plus at 26" (660 mm) are too long as are Atomic Split Fins at 24-1/2" (620 mm). By length, some of the fins discussed by length that should fit are:

Apeks RK3 - 19-1/8" (485 mm)
Hollis F2 - 19-7/8" (504 mm)
Deep 6 Eddy Fin - 21-7/8" (554 mm)
Hollis F1 LT - 22-1/4" (565 mm)
OMS Slipstreams - 22-3/4" (578 mm)
Hollis F1 - 23-1/2" (595 mm)

I can't find how long the Dive Rite XTs are in size large....(anyone know?). So, it looks like there are a fair number of well liked fins that will fit.

@iim7v7im7 what kind of soles do your booties have? I think that's going to determine which size you ultimately need. Unfortunately with my monstrous feet, the Dive Rite fins in XL are a bare minimum size for me, so hopefully someone can measure a size Large

Back
Top Bottom