Looking for a dive place out east

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ceb, Do you know if the pictures found on the home page of Torpedo Rays Scuba are all from Halifaxand Dartmouth?

I expect they all are.. I haven't seen a turtle in the water there but doesn't mean that hasn't happened :) Absolutely they have had Ray sightings, and anemones and crabs!

3D basically means that there is a somewhat intact hull. To see a completely intact wreck, you have to dive the deep wrecks, where they are protected by storms and ice. Anything in recreational limits is exposed to surface conditions either one way or the other, and it is more difficult to find an intact wreck. A 3D wreck in recreational depths has usually and intact hull, but parts of the superstructure like the bridge and other items on the main deck are most likely collapsed.

Generally true.... the Bell Island wrecks (Newfoundland) however are in excellent condition even with the shallower/recreational depths.. lots of swim-through structure above deck and rooms to poke ones head into :)

Ceb, Do you know if the pictures found on the home page of Torpedo Rays Scuba are all from Halifaxand Dartmouth?

The electric ray and crab, probably, Turtle, that species of anemone, and that species of stingray, not.

Michael Gerhartz, It sounds like the wrecks I dove on in the Saint Lawrence River, Ontario.

There really isn't much similarity between St Lawrence wrecks and Atlantic Canada wrecks. Except for the Jodrey, the wrecks in Atlantic Canada tend to be much bigger than the wrecks in the St Lawrence and you won't find much in the way of wooden wrecks. If they have any 3D profile at all they will be steel, not wooden. Wood doesn't last long in the oceans.

The electric ray and crab, probably, Turtle, that species of anemone, and that species of stingray, not.

I asked them about it.. I was good with the skate, the torpedo ray, the crab and even the anemone all being local. I haven't seen that kind of anemone there, plenty of frilled and stalked ones.. but there is lots of shoreline I haven't been on in NS. Jason (the owner of Torpedo Rays) said everything was local except the turtle was from Cozumel :)

Hi,

Our dive club dives regularly throughout the summer as well. We're usually in the water every weekend and occasionally during weekdays when people are availalbe. Lots of shore dives and some charters. You shouldn't have any problem finding buddies via all the above links and info, but if you like, you can get in touch with us through this link: Halifax Leatherbacks Scuba Club - Home. Drop us a line if you want and if we're going out you are more than welcome to join us.

edit:
Actually, I should have said: drop us a line, and even if we didn't have dives planned when you are available, we'll try to round some people up for a dip.

Last edited:
Ceb: wow. all your pictures are amazing!! really nice colors, nice shots.. if you don't mind i will put some in my "desktop background directory" :D

shipwreakcanada: escoumins is a really nice place to try 2h30 from quebec city and there are two dive local quebec dive shop that are there every weekend or so.. check out for "plongée nautilus" and " plongée de la capitale"

plongée nautilus have a " gite des plongeurs" so you can sleep there, refill your bottle, and find a budy! you must have a drysuit if you want to dive more than 20 min..

there is good place for seals in gaspesie.. "plongée nautilus " do some travels there during the summers..

si tu veux on peux en jaser en priver en francais. je peux te référé des endroits et des budy

Back
Top Bottom