Looking for dive destination, to let my spouse relax and enjoy diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveTy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for places to take my wife diving that would be easy dives so she get relaxed and just have some fun. We just got back from Hawaii it was fabulous but the currents were strong and just a little much for her ( I had the time of my life:))she has done 17 dives I'm at almost 30. I have been told Bonaire, Curaçao,Bahamas or Roatan would be great choices. We will be flying out of SLC Ut. Which is the best choice considering cost and over all diving quality?
Thanks for any help Ty Grant

Roatan is fabulous. I lived there for a while and also visited on dive trips and dove with CocoView Resort. There are two 2 tank boat dives a day as well as shore diving. The boat dives are guided so there is always a DM in the water with you. You would do the shore dives alone but there is a chain that you can follow to find your way to the Prince Albert which is a nice wreck dive. It's all inclusive so meals are included and are plentiful and delicious. There are opportunities for day trips to visit the gardens or the iguana farm. Everyone is friendly and helpful to new divers. The gear set up is so easy. You are assigned a locker--more like an open cubby to store your gear, and the crew takes it to the boat every day.

You will have bottled water in your room which is essential because we don't drink the tap water on islands. Set aside some tip money for your maid, the kitchen crew and of course the dive crew and captain. Check out the website for CocoView on Roatan to see their setup.

I've also been to the Bahamas and Bonaire. For value and the ability to get in plenty of dives, Roatan is my choice. Next would be Bonaire for the easy diving. Both Bonaire and Roatan are Marine Parks so good buoyancy is essential and don't touch anything.

I've been to Cocoview in Roatan, mentioned above, as well as Bonaire. Bonaire is completely on your own, and probably a bit intense for now. My first dive trip was to Thailand- cheap and cheerful and I recommend diving out of Phuket.

I think that the diving is very easy off of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman. All the dives are moored boats dives, the walls start pretty shallow, and there usually isn't much current. you have the option to follow the dive guide or go off on your own. Of course, you can always run into bad weather and rough seas anywhere you go, but in general the Caymans are very easy diving - and also some of the best diving in the Caribbean IMO. You will have short boat rides to the reefs, especially on Cayman Brac. The boat trips are a little longer on Little Cayman but the diving is even better. As new divers I don't think you would be disappointed with either location - but you may become spoiled!

And if you stay at the small, diver-dedicated, all-inclusive Cayman Brac Beach Resort or Little Cayman Beach Resort then you will dive with Reef Divers - which is an excellent dive op that provides full valet service as part of their regular service. So there will be no lugging of heavy equipment and you only have to rinse and hang your mask, fins, snorkel, and wet suit after diving. It couldn't be easier.

You will have to fly to Grand Cayman and then take Cayman Air to the sister islands of either Cayman Brac or Little Cayman. I am guessing but I think that from Utah you might have to fly to someplace like Miami and then to Grand Cayman before taking the hop over to CB or LC.

If you prefer a more developed location with restaurants, nightlife, shopping, and lots of topside activities, then Grand Cayman is a good choice - and it is a shorter flight. I prefer the diving in the sister islands but there is some great diving around Grand Cayman. The Cobalt Coast resort on GC was recently bought by the same family that owns CBBR and LCBR and Reef Divers has been the in-house dive op since Dec 1 and they offer valet services there, too.

You don't have to worry about drinking the water or eating the food on any of the Cayman islands.

Have fun wherever you go!

Last edited:
I might suggest it also depends on what you want to do other than diving and how much you want to dive. I loved doing 4-5 a day on a live aboard but it probably would have been too much for me at first. I agree with Kathy that Cayman Brac and Little Cayman are great. I also like St. Croix. for easy diving by boat or shore. I am heading next year to Curracao and that may be the ticket for easy along with other things to do.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Tater, that's a great suggestion; it doesn't get much easier (or better) than shore diving the Fredricksted pier in St. Croix.

Thanks for the help, your vast experience and helpfulness is invaluable, SB Rocks!! TG

I recommend Isla Mujeres off of Cancun Mexico.
1- Hard bottom at 40-45 feet
2- Very little current
3- Lots of sea life

It's where we take our family for discover scuba dives. We made 9 converts who are now training for certification. (Home grown dive buddies)

We like the slow pace of life on Isla Mujeres. (Life at the speed of golf carts) We are on our way back for our 4th trip to dive with Casa del Buceo. Scuba Diving Isla Mujeres

Agree Bonaire is about diving on your own and therefore may not be "relaxing" enough (I hear Curacao is much the same, but haven't been there). I think the Caymans are an excellent choice -- you can pick a place that has shore diving (e.g., Sunset House) if you want to do some stuff on your own, or if you just want to do the boat dives, that's will keep you going pretty well. St Croix is another good one, as suggested. Try SCUBA in C-sted (great shop) and they do F-sted pier, which is not to miss. Stay in/near C-sted, take a car or taxi out to Cane bay and shore dive the wall (there's a shop there too and you can get a guide, if you want). My next trip is to Roatan (CCV) and so I can't speak to that, but I have the impression that it will also be easy diving with a good combo of boat dives and shore dives. All good choices! Good luck.

I will tell you that I find Cozumel easy and relaxing...you go with the currents in drift dives...almost effortless...would be different than the Hawaii experience imho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom