Loss of Wireless Computer Communication Signal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stand corrected. Reading about the different computors people have on this thread. I had the Cobra 3 for a short while but really did not like the compass so I was given a good price on a trade in for the Vyper. They are basically the same computer
I was convinced of Suunto as most people were raving about them but when in a cave system it also had problems with constantly going up and down. .
Liike I have said before, it would be a strange world if we were all the same!!!

Scubapro took the unit back. I went with the Cobra 3 with the integrated APG. Though carrying a back up air gauge is a good idea, most of don't do it. I am diving Mexico this weekend (San Carlos) and after I get used to my new computer I will shoot pictures. But there will be no RF problems this time.

With the refund I bought the Cobra3 with QD and PC disk and cable. Then for a few more "C" notes picked up the MK25 and AT700! All from the my LDS. I was so glad that I purchased my Luna from the LDS instead of Leisure Pro as I would have been SOL with them. No more "gray market for me."

I have been using a Suunto Vyper Air with pressure transmitter for one season now. The first outdoor dives were flawless. During a busy weekend with our club my pressure failed during the dive several times. I re-paired the system and the problem seemed to worked fine until last weekend when the problem re-emerged. I have been in contact with two dealerships and nobody seemed to know the problem even existed.
I suspect that this thread hit the head on the nail as during both weekends with failures, it was probably my strobes.
I will test for signal failures by switching the strobes on and off and see what happens.
Everyone that has posted here: Thanks!

I have been using a Suunto Vyper Air with pressure transmitter for one season now. The first outdoor dives were flawless. During a busy weekend with our club my pressure failed during the dive several times. I re-paired the system and the problem seemed to worked fine until last weekend when the problem re-emerged. I have been in contact with two dealerships and nobody seemed to know the problem even existed.
I suspect that this thread hit the head on the nail as during both weekends with failures, it was probably my strobes.
I will test for signal failures by switching the strobes on and off and see what happens.
Everyone that has posted here: Thanks!
I have the exact computer. It failed several times. Yes, I take pictures but it failed without taking pictures as well. I send it back and Suunto sent another brand new computer. It failed at the end of the dive.(I was not taking pictures). I could not make it re-link. I will try again this week-end. Looks like those AI computers are not good.

From running a resort operation down here in Belize I can say that loss of wireless communications is EXTREMELY common. There's no way I'd buy one of these things, of any make, for myself or for my shop. It seems very much like a solution in search of a problem anyway.

tibenmiami I be diving a hoseless computer long then you have been diving and I haven't had a problem. First did you have the transmitter and the computer on the correct side? Did you read the instruction for the computer?

peterbj7 base on what you say we should not go to belize because of the crime and all the people who run out of air in the blue hole it's not a safe place.

The holesless computer work very well but most resort grab the transmitter to pull up the tanks onto the boat and damage the transmitter.

Last thing from both of you I would like to see your data to back up your view.

What a weird post! I have in the past referred to crime in Belize City, which is well known and acknowledged. But there is no reason for a visitor ever to go there. Here in the cayes crime is less than in most other places - not zero, but slight. I've said that before as well, but you seem to have a selective memory.

I may also have referred to the odd person who runs out of air in the Blue Hole. So? You won't go to a diving area because you hear some people have run out of air there?

As to wireless transmitters, you only have to go down with visiting divers using their own gear and hear the beeping all around you as receivers lose their signals. It's very common and again acknowledged. What sort of data would you like to see published to support that contention?

I can't speak for "most resorts", but I've never seen a boat crew member here or anywhere else pull up a tank by the transmitter. If you were to try that it would simply break off in your hand. It's up to the owner to fit a soft coupling between the 1st stage and the transmitter to absorb shocks, but because it's not provided by the manufacturer most users don't do that. I say "anywhere else", but I don't recall seeing any diver in British waters using one of these things - they're known as too unreliable.

My comment about "a solution in search of a problem" is that most divers once they have gained some experience don't need to refer to their pressure gauges more than a few times per dive. There's absolutely no need for a continuous readout, and all that does is introduce lots of potential failure points. Because none of these systems is (or can be) 100% reliable it's necessary for a prudent diver to have a mechanical SPG as well, so no complexity is saved. And once a diver starts using more than one tank even the illusory benefits of a continuous readout drop away.

But with 2000+ dives you already know all this.

My husband uses a Vytech, and he periodically can't get it to sync at the beginning of the dive. It's not often, but it does happen, and induces a profane lalorrhea every time :) He always has an analog gauge as well, so it has never cost a dive.

The funniest thing about the Vytech is that it's a tech-compatible computer which won't tolerate valve drills. Turn the post you have the transmitter on off, and you've lost the signal, and it generally won't resync! (Thus, of course, if you had a fixable failure, you'd end up without a signal . . . not ideal a good ways back in a cave.)

My husband uses a Vytech, and he periodically can't get it to sync at the beginning of the dive. It's not often, but it does happen, and induces a profane lalorrhea every time :) He always has an analog gauge as well, so it has never cost a dive.

The funniest thing about the Vytech is that it's a tech-compatible computer which won't tolerate valve drills. Turn the post you have the transmitter on off, and you've lost the signal, and it generally won't resync! (Thus, of course, if you had a fixable failure, you'd end up without a signal . . . not ideal a good ways back in a cave.)

...boy, I'm soooo not seein' a Sunnto anything as tech-compatable....doing push-the-limits diving is completely inconsistent with such an uber-conservative computer.

Just got the Vyper Air.. seems fine for the most part, but it does give me an occasional "fail" alternating with the last tank pressure. This clears up when it resyncs. I shoot a LOT of strobe photography!

I would never even considered diving this computer without an analog SPG. I didn't get the wireless computer to eliminate a hose, I got it to put all my information that I DO monitor during the dive (NDL, etc.) in the most accessible place (my wrist).

For the most part, this is fine. Right now I'm doing occasional comparison checks with the SPG, but it seems pretty accurate. Probably I will eventually go to only checking the SPG if the computer link fails for good. However, since I have a pretty good sense of my consumption, etc... I don't feel that I need to constantly check tank pressure.

Back
Top Bottom