Loss of Wireless Computer Communication Signal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I see that now. Key word is "momentary" which goes on to say that the alarm sequence can be 52 seconds. I checked my settings and it is set for both audible and visible alarm. So what happens if you continue to take pictures? It states that after 52 seconds the RBT is not displayed and the pressure is replaced with "- - - -" Great, no air, no RBT and no further instruction. That tells me my sync has always been lost for more than 52 seconds. In fact long enough to suck a tank empty with the false security of a high dollar computer being able to correct itself quickly, which it can't. Wow that is comforting to know. I don't know gentleman to quote "if you put lipstick on a pig, it is still a pig." It just seems to me that if you have to refer to your SPG you may has well have a computer hanging off of it as well. The more info I get from you guys and from what Scuba Pro said, "yes we have a problem" I am going to take up their offer and get my money back. I think a new Sherwood is in my future. When I bought this high dollar computer Leisure World had a much better price but for peace of mind I bought it from a dealer just in case I should have any trouble with it. I am sure glad I did that. Case closed, thanks everyone!

Mud Guppy, my solution with my Galileo Sol was to only turn on my strobes when I found something I wanted to photograph and then shut them off until the next time. That meant periodic lapses in transmission but no overall loss of data. Plus I have an analog SPG tucked into my gear. I can't imagine how I would be unaware of my gas levels in my current circumstances, including a potential OOA situation.

Interestingly enough, it took me a while to figure this out as the manual does say "momentarily". With my strobes turned on all the time it was less than momentarily and it was incessently. Which was extremely annoying. I sent one computer back only to have it repeat with new one. At the advice of other scuba board members who said I should not be experiencing this. Anyway, now that I've figured it out, things are fine and I do like the computer for a great many other reasons.

I use the Luna and love it. After my Sunto Cobra3 lost signal once to many times I went to the Luna.
Some people confuse a "momentary loss of signal" with a screen refresh. Screen goes blank for half a second.
It will connect underwater to your own transmitor or someone nearby when prompted which is what makes it so good for tec diving. You can have transmitors on your stage bottles and as you get near them the computer will sync with them.
I love it.

possible interference caused by strobes and scooters in my Oceanic manual

Some manufacturers also warn of possible loss of signal if using scooters (DPV for those who don't know what scooters are).

As a scooter dive guide, I can honestly say that in hundreds of resort scooter dives I have never seen a wireless system work with an Apollo AV-1 (Dacor and other badges).

Probably only a third of those divers used own gear, but a good percentage had plenty of bling, so there were many tense and anxious moments for me as we waited interminable amounts of time at depth or far from shore to find out if we should still be at depth or far from shore. :shocked2:

Mud Guppy:

Get whatever computer makes your heart go pitter-patter, then just carry an analog SPG as a backup (or primary, I'll explain below). I work in Radio Frequency Communications, and I know way more about modulated RF than I think I should (sometimes). Ever notice that all the really important patient monitoring stuff at the hospital is all wires?? There's a reason: simplicity and reliability.

With something that is, in effect, life support equipment, you want it to be as reliable as possible. I use a wireless AI computer (Aeris Elite T3), but I keep an analog SPG on all of my regulator setups as well because the SPG's "link" is going to be damn near impossible to cut, unless I happen to come across the bad guys from Thunderball or Sea Hunt. A wireless link on the other hand...those can be temperamental at times.

The difference between them is how I utilize them. Even though my AI computer is on my wrist, and thus right in front of my face, my primary instrument for monitoring my remaining gas is always the SPG, and it has the final say. It's good to cross-check your AI computer vs your SPG, anything with software can freak out and not give you very good information. I leave my AI computer for simply keeping track of information so I don't have to, post-dive.

So in closing, all computers work, but analog equipment is a lot more reliable, if for no other reason than it will never have it's batteries fail mid-dive. Life Support Equipment should be kept a simple and free of failure points as possible, a wireless link is one BIG potential failure point. But AI computers are certainly not the devil, and IMO a rather useful tool pre-, mid-, and post-dive.

Peace,
Greg

With something that is, in effect, life support equipment, you want it to be as reliable as possible.
Please explain how a submersible pressure gauge is "life support equipment"?

Own D9 & Helo2 and have not had any comms failures. The trick is simple, and is always the last thing before I get into the water.

- Put DC in dive mode
- Open pillar valve very slowly, as if you are working with O2
- Kit up and dive, don't wonder off.

People have dived for decades without an SPG and lived to tell about it. So, how's an analog SPG "life support equipment"? Not to mention analog SPGs can suffer up to 150-PSI (whatever Bar equivalence) off the actual reading because they aren't as accurate as the pressure gauge in AI computers.

I use the Luna and love it. After my Sunto Cobra3 lost signal once to many times I went to the Luna.
Some people confuse a "momentary loss of signal" with a screen refresh. Screen goes blank for half a second.
It will connect underwater to your own transmitor or someone nearby when prompted which is what makes it so good for tec diving. You can have transmitors on your stage bottles and as you get near them the computer will sync with them.
I love it.

Cobra 3 is a AI computer alright but it is not hoseless. I don't understand how a AI hosed computer losses "signal". Perhaps you had a different problem.

People have dived for decades without an SPG and lived to tell about it

You're only considering the people who DID live to talk about it. What about those who didn't, or perhaps lived but bolted for the surface and took a bad DCS hit?

I haven't read all this thread. But I've been leading dives for many years, and judging by the beeps I keep hearing on most dives loss of signal is a very common problem. I've certainly never felt tempted to get a wireless-integrated computer for myself. But in any case, I rarely look at my SPG more than perhaps three or four times during a dive, so this seems to be a flawed solution to a problem I don't have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom