Lowering SAC rate -- How long does it take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firstdive2005; You've hit the magic bullet. Once a diver is fairly comfortable in the water, the most important thing in increasing bottom time is to get good buoyancy and TRIM and SLOW DOWN. Scuba is not an endurance sport. It is a visual sport.

When one learns to hover whilst stationary and not have the lower extremities sink, then all his propulsive force is directed in moving you forward. The speed problem comes from trying to go forward with the breaks on and a lot of energy is needed to offset the poor trim.

The biggest problem is most instructors and dive shops need numbers to survive. It takes time to teach and practice the skill set to do it right. Time is money. Enough said...

Dale

I'm intrigued that so many people are meticulously referring to "SAC rate". Surface Air Consumption IS a rate and the word doesn't need to be added again - it's quite redundant.

Come to that, in most posts the "surface" bit is also redundant. Mostly these posts refer to consumption and how to lower it. SAC is merely a measure of consumption, not the consumption itself. It's a bit like referring to a stockholding as "inventory", whereas that is merely a list of what's there, not the stock itself.

Well, I suppose one could argue the etymological differences between having a discussion about one's "surface air consumption" process had been effected by some pulmonary disease leading to an increase or decrease in one's "surface air consumption rate".

But let us not derail an otherwise civil and intelligent discussion about such an important part of the scuba diving hobby with etymological arguments . . .

the K

I agree with the sentiment. It doesn't hurt to use language correctly though.

anywho... back to the topic.

bouyancy control was my biggest improvement, and strangly enough, diving at low sea level after spending 10 days in the Austrian Alps did wonders for it! or perhaps that it was the fact i was on a one month holiday to Europe and Egypt :wink:

I noticed the big difference around 20 dives when i went down to around 10l/m from (guess) 15-18l/m.

how good is 10l/m?

10 lpm is very good. In fact, I can barely believe it, unless you're a small woman. I plan my dives on a working SAC of around 10-12 lpm (SAC at deco is a couple of lpm less), and I have one or two dives more than you :D.

technically it's 11l/m measured while DM'ing on 2 advanced courses recently (not on a fancy computer)

I'm not a big guy and I swim. 5'8 and 80kg right now (although, that's due a lazy winter :) i am usually around 73-75 and getting back to that weight)

while in Egypt i was consistantly the same as the instructor who was a small guy also, and most of the time I'm pretty even if not a bit better than my instructors back in Sydney... here i get cold before i run out of air.

Lots of great advice. I tend to gulp air if I am stressed. What helped tremendously is hitting the gym and trying to control my breathing while doing cardio.

I get on the bike, push my heart rate to about 165 bpm (thats hard, 90% of max) and then start breathing deep and controlled. I concentrate on not panting. It is astonishing how you immediately start cycling more efficiently. I have become very aware of CO2 buildup and what I can tolerate before I start panting.

It is much easier to get control of my breathing during stress and I know how it feels to be breathing efficiently while still exerting myself physically.

I must find a yoga school where they wont think I am an old pervert. I hear they teach great breath control.

There's no magic time or number of dives.

Get a big enough tank to not worry about it, and dive. It will improve.

It is a journey not a destination. Enjoy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom