Main reason I stopped diving or entering water is skin eating bacteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not read every post in this thread, but from what I have, I would like to make a suggestion to the OP. You seem to be focusing on an extremely unlikely risk associated with diving. Flesh eating bacteria can be contracted a number of way and places, but in almost cases it is extremely rare and fairly preventable. You may want to discuss this with a professional, as it may be treatable like other phobias. I see you were also the guy who was worried about dental squeeze. You may want to seek mental health support prior to diving, it does not sound like diving safety is the actual issue.

Anyone see the guy this week that got skin eating bacteria without even touching the water?

In other words this thread is much a do about nothing, as you can get it from not being in water as well.

If anything, there are just as many pathogens lurking on your skin to worry about as you go about your daily life.

MRSA is everywhere. It can't be treated with antibiotics: it has to excised with a knife. If a doctor hesitates at all or misdiagnoses the situation, it can spread into the blood and pop up almost anywhere, including organs. You need to be extra careful if your immune system has been compromised, but anyone can contract it.

For good information on MRSA please see this link by the CDC.

Please see and read about Vibrio Vulnificus here on the CDC website. It's a common pathogen in sea water but don't need to have fear and paranoia about bacteria. Use common hygiene practices.

MRSA is everywhere. It can't be treated with antibiotics: it has to excised with a knife. If a doctor hesitates at all or misdiagnoses the situation, it can spread into the blood and pop up almost anywhere, including organs. You need to be extra careful if your immune system has been compromised, but anyone can contract it.

Most people have mrsa in the nose, believe it or not.

I'm a service plumber by trade. I come in contact with all kinds of nasty stuff. I get cuts, scrapes, burns, all kinds of potentially bad things in the normal day to day work I do. Sometimes when I go dive I have cuts & the like. Not once have I ever thought about any kind of flesh eating bacteria in the ocean.

When it's your time, it's your time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom