Manufacturer condones Warsaw Grouper slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I visited the Zeagle website last night and read this story prior to reading about it here on SB. I noted that the taking of the fish was legal, selective, and at great risk. I also noted that the fish was for consumption. Since most divers never dive to this extream, plan dives of this magitude, or travel this far to accomplish their goals, it was fitting and proper for Zeagle to toute their accomplishments. Zeagle didn't endorse diving to this extream, or taking fish, they merely related the story and stated that their equipment stood up to the task.
People tend to read into any news story their own agenda. Your agenda is clear. You have a right to it, but as long as it is legal I think you should respect others opinions as well.

Zeagle very proudly supports spear fishing. They even designed a BC specifically for spear fishing divers. I wish more dive gear manufacturers did so. This very aspect of them has them high on my list of companies to buy from the next time I need gear.

BTW, it's not possible to "murder" a fish. Murder is defined as the illgal taking of a human life, and fish aren't human.

The warsaw grouper was killed in full compliance with the game laws & bag limits set on by United States federal law. If they're so endangered as to use that as an arguement to not kill any of them, then the bag limit needs to be changed. Until that happens, people will take them in accordance with the law & I have no problem with that.

MSilvia:
I do know. As of 1996, the IUCN redbook lists Warsaw Grouper as "Seriously Endangered" based on actual or potential levels of exploitation and number of locations or subpopulations.
Just looking at that list is interesting when bouncing it off actual sightings of the species listed. Sort of reminds me of the description we finally came up with for populations of some species when I was back at Auburn in the 60's... "Rare... except where abundant."
On the other hand, I don't think there's a food fish in the whole world that isn't "Seriously Endangered" these days, and we all need to look to ways to relieve pressure on the fisheries - spearfishing, being the most efficient harvest method there is, is one thing we can do to insure that our impact per filet-on-the-plate is minimized.
Personally I think we need to ramp up commercial fish-farming on a giant scale or it won't be long before the oceans' fisheries will all collapse from the total pressure on them.
Rick

welll.... hate to be a stickler, but... under Florida law (the boat left Hudson,
Florida), there is a limit of ONE warsaw grouper per vessel:

http://www.florida-outdoors.com/fsgroup.htm

and if you were fishing in Federal waters, the limit is still one per vessel:

http://www.gulfcouncil.org/downloads/GMFMC_BRO_REC.1204.pdf

those pictures seem like prima facie evidence of illegal harvesting

also, while a weekend trip may extend the per-vessel limit on some
species, the Warsaw grouper is not one of them. you're limited to
one per vessel per trip.

of course, i am sure the operator is a good one, and they must have
obtained a permit, or know something that takes them outside
of the general rules. i am sure they wouldn't engage in illegal
activity willy nilly.

H2Andy:
welll.... hate to be a stickler,
Yeah, right, sure...
You are a lawyer, after all... sticklering is your bread and butter :D
Rick

I smell a troll...

After checking out the webpage outrage wasn't my reaction... I was actually jealous!

Great job guys!
403lb-Warsaw.gif

Rick Murchison:
Yeah, right, sure...
You are a lawyer, after all... sticklering is your bread and butter :D
Rick

:xyxnervou

we all have our talents

mine are: bs-ing, obfuscating, and stickerling

Rick Murchison:
Just looking at that list is interesting when bouncing it off actual sightings of the species listed. Sort of reminds me of the description we finally came up with for populations of some species when I was back at Auburn in the 60's... "Rare... except where abundant."
Yeah, I sort of got that impression. I also noticed that that they say their range extends to Massachusetts. I can see where you'd get the impression they were in serious decline if you were looking for them here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom