Manufacturer condones Warsaw Grouper slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy:
Andy, this was in federal waters, not state waters.

charter boats are recreational fishermen, per the Gulf of Mexico Fisheries
Management Council (813-348-1630)

even under Federal rules, no more than 1 Warsaw grouper per vessel may
be harvested:

http://www.gulfcouncil.org/downloads/GMFMC_BRO_REC.1204.pdf

likewise in Florida waters:

http://www.florida-outdoors.com/fsgroup.htm

in other words:

1. they are not commercial

2. wether in Federal or Florida waters, they are limited to one Warsaw per vessel per trip

Umm, andy, this is not a charter boat. This is a commerical spearfishing operation, every one of those divers is commerical, these guys are in the business of shooting fish for the commercial market. You keep trying to apply the wrong set of rules.

peterbkk:
Does anyone else think that it is inappropriate for a major scuba equipment manufacturer to be condoning the unfair slaughter of a unique form of marine life?

http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?src=news&submenu=News&prid=20

I dont know if the Warsaw Grouper is abundant or threatened. I suspect that the divers who shot them don't know either and most certainly don't care.

I can not understand why anyone would go to that much touble to visit a unique underwater environment to murder the creatures that live there. I can not even understand the argument that hunting these fish on scuba is a sport. It is too easy- swim up to the fish and shoot with spear... Where is the sport? Where is the challenge?

But, I come back to the question that most troubles me. Why would Zeagle risk damaging their reputation by openly condoning and supporting these kind of people who get their kicks from kiling innocent creatures that can not fight back. Is there a risk that more conservation-minded divers might boycott their equipment?

Regards
Peter

From dictionary.com -

murder - the unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with malice

slaughter - killing of animals for food

Peter,

Your use of the word murder is off base.

Slaughter, well, if you want to eat an animal you usually have to kill it, or at least catch it before you eat it. I have eaten a few animals that were not slaughtered.

In Korea, I have eaten live octopus . It is removed fresh from the tank and cut into pieces with scissors before serving the squirming pieces on a dish with spicy sauce.

I have eaten live shrimp, served two shrimp on a toothpick. If there is only one on a toothpick, it jumps around. Two on one toothpick can't jump.

I have eaten live flounder, the meat is removed from the side of the fish, sliced and placed back on the fish for serving. The fish is still alive, and is eaten while its mouth continues to open and close.

Every point you make in your post is off base and sounds like nothing less than
PETA promoting propaganda.

Each time you go on a boat you kill innocent creatures that can not fight back.
Plankton, jellyfish, fish eggs, and other unique forms of sea life are destroyed by the boat propulsion system, as if they were in a blender.

If you really want to protect the ocean, you should stay out of it.

peterbkk:
Does anyone else think that it is inappropriate for a major scuba equipment manufacturer to be condoning the unfair slaughter of a unique form of marine life?

http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?src=news&submenu=News&prid=20

I dont know if the Warsaw Grouper is abundant or threatened. I suspect that the divers who shot them don't know either and most certainly don't care.

I can not understand why anyone would go to that much touble to visit a unique underwater environment to murder the creatures that live there. I can not even understand the argument that hunting these fish on scuba is a sport. It is too easy- swim up to the fish and shoot with spear... Where is the sport? Where is the challenge?

But, I come back to the question that most troubles me. Why would Zeagle risk damaging their reputation by openly condoning and supporting these kind of people who get their kicks from kiling innocent creatures that can not fight back. Is there a risk that more conservation-minded divers might boycott their equipment?

Regards
Peter

Peter,

I noticed you live in Thailand which, in my books, is the third world. Do you have any problems with the "killing" of "innocent" creatures like pigs, chickens (hell they abort these babies ... sunny side up :wink: ). Or is just the killing of "pressumed" endangered species?

If you want to stick to marine animals, can you tell me that no "slaughter" of innocents occur on the coral reefs of Thailand? Do you count the slow disappearance of corals reefs in the Adaman sea as a slaughter?

DiveGolfSki:
H2Andy,

I'm not sure how many they got but assuming they fished the weekend starting
Friday that's three days, one per trip that makes three.

yes, you are assuming, and we know what that makes you :D

but i was assuming they went out and staid out for the duration,
so that makes me an *** too

but i believe Wayward Son has got it right. the captain has a commercial license,
and the fish were sold in the commercial market (should have read the
photo captions closer)

that makes them commercial fishermen in Federal waters, which means they
get 1.02 million tons of gutted weight of Warsaw grouper

http://www.gulfcouncil.org/downloads/GMFMC_BRO_COM.1204.pdf

which...

er...

i think they obeyed

H2Andy:
yes, you are assuming, and we know what that makes you :D

but i was assuming they went out and staid out for the duration,
so that makes me an *** too

Assume: makes an Axxx out of u and me? :D

403 lbs :11: can you imagine how much oil they'll need to cook that baby ... hmmm, it's lunch time ... no wonder. Thanks, H2Andy, time for me to kill some innocent animals again.

Good thing that they cut back on the recreational limit to 3 groupers/trip. Otherwise, where would the 1.02 million pounds of grouper for the commercial fishermen come from?

H2Andy:
that makes them commercial fishermen in Federal waters, which means they
get 1.02 million tons of gutted weight of Warsaw grouper

Scott and Chad go to DEMA and all hell breaks loose!! Of course it doesn't seem that Zeagle was under fire after the first few posts.

Back
Top Bottom