Manufacturer condones Warsaw Grouper slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no problem with spearfishing or any other kind of sport fishing where the catch is consumed. I do with long lines that indiscriminately take species that will not be used. You sir are a TROLL! I will not even engage in this debate as most people who think this way are so closed minded they will not listen to why fishing, hunting, trapping, cutting down defenseless corn and wheat fields,and such is ok. So go hug a tree and eat some polyester burgers. Me I'm having steak and shrimp w/ a side of broiled scallops. My girl will have the broiled grouper!

peterbkk:
Does anyone else think that it is inappropriate for a major scuba equipment manufacturer to be condoning the unfair slaughter of a unique form of marine life?

Putting aside for a moment that this is a loaded question (as has already been pointed out), no.

peterbkk:
Is there a risk that more conservation-minded divers might boycott their equipment?

If, by 'conservation-minded divers' you mean eco-terrorists that jump on a 'cause' without thought or facts, then I hope they boycott all SCUBA manufacturers. I, personally, would like to see fewer Granolas in the world, and would consider carrying a spear gun just to piss them off.

We finally had a cold front blow in this AM, and it's actually cool outside. Makes me long for Elk hunting camp in the high mountains of Colorado...

Although I no longer spearfish myself, I have no problem with those that do hunt for food. I dislike the concept of purely "sport" hunting (just to kill the animal), but this does not seem to be a case of that.

However, if MSilvia's information regarding the endangered status of this fish is correct (and I have no reason to doubt it), then this seems to be an ill-conceived idea and one that should reflect on these particular fishers and Zeagle.

I am incensed when I see our local giant sea bass with spear wounds and spears still in them. Ours is a protected species, yet some idiots still shoot at them. Of course I have no problem with those who shoot the abundant kelp bass (tasty).

H2Andy:
hmmm...

Warsaw grouper may not be commercially harvested in Florida
waters (nine miles out to the Gulf of Mexico) (check page 14):

http://myfwc.com/marine/commerical/ComRegsJuly 2005.pdf

At 425 FSW, I think it's safe to say that they were more than 9 miles out. This group knows what they're doing, they were not in violation.

peterbkk:
Does anyone else think that it is inappropriate for a major scuba equipment manufacturer to be condoning the unfair slaughter of a unique form of marine life?

Uh, no. But thanks for asking. "unfair slaughter"...."unique form"...lol...that's good stuff

must...control...fingers...rage...rising...must...type...in...fragments...

I suspect that you didn't care enough to read about what happened. Being COMMERCIAL fishermen, I suspect that the divers who shot IT (not them) certainly DO know and do care, as fishing is their livelyhood.

If you REALLY care about the slaughter of sealife, have a look at the longliners. The rationale for the decrease in Warsaws is bycatch.

But then again, your mind is obviously made up, no need to confuse the issue with facts.
peterbkk:
I dont know if the Warsaw Grouper is abundant or threatened. I suspect that the divers who shot them don't know either and most certainly don't care.

Investigating Msilva's links, here's the rational behind the endangered status:
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/concern/profiles/warsaw_grouper.pdf

Apparently there are control measures in place in the Atlantic, but not in the Gulf.

Andy, this was in federal waters, not state waters.

Ya know... I too agree that the OP sounded like a troll ... however if a fish is endangered or threatened I have little or no respect for anyone attempting to hunt it, no matter what loop hole or exclusion they may legally fall under. The exception being when what ever passes for fisheries managment issues tags (or whatever) like they do around here for deer / moose / bear.

While there is no indication that these people broke any laws neither is there any indication that what they did was legal ... I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but I don't think it provides a good example..

H2Andy,

I'm not sure how many they got but assuming they fished the weekend starting Friday that's three days, one per trip that makes three. I counted two Warsaws and one Gag: Dan's 403 lber :11: ; Ricky's 72 lber :11: ; Ken's 52 lber :11: (gag). All the other pictures seems to show the packing or handling of the same fish (including the moster on a crane). So it seems that they're in compliance.

BTW, throw in the Wahoo and that makes a four fish .... does not constitute a "slaughter"?

Back
Top Bottom