Manufacturer condones Warsaw Grouper slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterbkk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone else think that it is inappropriate for a major scuba equipment manufacturer to be condoning the unfair slaughter of a unique form of marine life?

http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?src=news&submenu=News&prid=20

I dont know if the Warsaw Grouper is abundant or threatened. I suspect that the divers who shot them don't know either and most certainly don't care.

I can not understand why anyone would go to that much touble to visit a unique underwater environment to murder the creatures that live there. I can not even understand the argument that hunting these fish on scuba is a sport. It is too easy- swim up to the fish and shoot with spear... Where is the sport? Where is the challenge?

But, I come back to the question that most troubles me. Why would Zeagle risk damaging their reputation by openly condoning and supporting these kind of people who get their kicks from kiling innocent creatures that can not fight back. Is there a risk that more conservation-minded divers might boycott their equipment?

Regards
Peter

I don't think that Zeagle is doing anything to damage their reputation. You must have never been spearfishing cause those fish can fight back. I hope that you don't buy fish to eat cause longline commerical fishing does alot be damage to the population of fish and enviroment then speafishing. Once Scott is back I would like to see his reply to this posting. Cause when these guys took these fish he seemed to be very proud of what they were able to do with Zeagle equipment.

peterbkk:
Does anyone else think that it is inappropriate for a major scuba equipment manufacturer to be condoning the unfair slaughter of a unique form of marine life?

I dont know if the Warsaw Grouper is abundant or threatened. I suspect that the divers who shot them don't know either and most certainly don't care.

I can not understand why anyone would go to that much touble to visit a unique underwater environment to murder the creatures that live there. I can not even understand the argument that hunting these fish on scuba is a sport. It is too easy- swim up to the fish and shoot with spear... Where is the sport? Where is the challenge?

But, I come back to the question that most troubles me. Why would Zeagle risk damaging their reputation by openly condoning and supporting these kind of people who get their kicks from kiling innocent creatures that can not fight back. Is there a risk that more conservation-minded divers might boycott their equipment?

Regards
Peter

WOW!!! U r on a roll! Dude - slaughter??? 400lb Grouper vs. 200lb diver??? Please - more like an even fight, but if you r trying to rile people up - get a life and don't wear fur while eating your veggie burgers...

BTW - Your mask protects the environment - from seeing u!

peterbkk:

Regards
Peter

You don't know and you suspect........

I suspect you have an agenda. There are hunters everywhere my friend and from your link provided it appears the fish are not being left behind and wasted.

I support the wholesale slaughter of cows myself. I don't know if they're threatened and I suspect the ranchers that kill don't don't know either and most certainly don't care.

peterbkk:
Is there a risk that more conservation-minded divers might boycott their equipment?

Regards
Peter

Quite the opposite in fact, More seasoned and experienced divers now have even more added proof that Zeagle's quality and performance can easily handle the extremes.

I'll ignore the rest of your Troll on debating spearfishing, It's an old and worn out thread.

Go cuddle with PETA,

And I don't know but suspect that South Pacific dynamite and cyanide fishermen do a whole lot more damage to the environment and/or fish population than selective spear fisherman do

Hmmmm sounds like these fish were prepped for eating, not simply trophies. I see nothing wrong with that!

dscheck:
Go cuddle with PETA,

And I don't know but suspect that South Pacific dynamite and cyanide fishermen do a whole lot more damage to the environment and/or fish population than selective spear fisherman do
and don't care......

knee to the nads

Uh, how do you propose preparing an animal for the table without slaughtering it first?
Rick

peterbkk:
It's not a unique form of life any more than any other form of life is. If it was unique, it wouldn't have anyone to reproduce with. I also don't think that spearfishing constitutes a slaughter. Indiscriminate commercial fishing, yes. Spearfishing, no. If it's okay to condone ordering fish at a restaurant, or buying fish at a market, I think it's okay to condone spearfishing, which has much less environmental impact.
peterbkk:
I do know. As of 1996, the IUCN redbook lists Warsaw Grouper as "Seriously Endangered" based on actual or potential levels of exploitation and number of locations or subpopulations. While I have no problem with spearfishing, I don't condone spearfishing for endangered species.
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=1207
http://www.hku.hk/ecology/GroupersWrasses/iucnsg/index.html
peterbkk:
I can not understand why anyone would go to that much touble to visit a unique underwater environment to murder the creatures that live there.
Fish are yummy. That's why we kill them. Diving is fun, and spearfishing is also fun. Having fun and coming home with food for months is why anyone would go to all the trouble.
Again, I don't think "unique" means what you think it means. A wrecked freighter is hardly a unique underwater environment.
peterbkk:
But, I come back to the question that most troubles me. Why would Zeagle risk damaging their reputation by openly condoning and supporting these kind of people who get their kicks from kiling innocent creatures that can not fight back.
So, killing fiish troubles you, but not as much as Zeagle risking their reputation? That strikes me as more than a little odd. Why is that?

I think what Zeagle is most proud of is that these folks were able to successfully plan and execute a mission-oriented dive to 425 feet and come back safely using their gear. What manufacturer wouldn't be pleased with that?
peterbkk:
Is there a risk that more conservation-minded divers might boycott their equipment?
Is there a risk of a boycott by more conservation-minded divers? Yes, I suppose there is. Would a boycott by those conservation-minded divers who are both aware of the issue you raise and who see spearfishing as bad rather than as a method preferable to commercial fishing have a major impact on Zeagle's sales? Probably not, especially when weighed against the number of divers who got a favorable impression of Zeagle gear as a result of the dive in question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom