Manufacturing/replication offer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At-Pac inflator system was so ergonomic compared to those k-valve and associated model that dominate the market today .

I also used the At-Pac wing for years before I couldn't get soft goods to repair it.

full.jpg

Although the inflator design was far more elegant, I really didn't miss it that much in the water. The fact that the new K-inflators are so light weight and 'floaty" was solved with a few wraps of 1/4" lead wire used by fisherman.

upload_2019-6-9_6-54-25.png

Choosing a wing that is a donut (vs horseshoe) and not too large also helps.

Hi, Just joined and came across your post. I am the owner of 2 At-Pac retractable version (1980). As I recently being recertified and tried those bulky 'new technology BCD', I want to explore ways to rejuvenate my old At-Pac. I investigate and found probable bladder replacement with either OMS or DiveRite. Don't want to rehearse on the past, but At-Pac inflator system was so ergonomic compared to those k-valve and associated model that dominate the market today . The part I am mostly interested in would be the inflator system and more specifically the top and bottom part of the inflator. Mine are plastic one but still working. I would be looking at replacing those with the metal one. Any idea where to get those or get them machine at a competitive price ? Thanks in advance.

Hi @Nordik,

Welcome to Scuba Board.

I gave up long ago on repairing my AT-Pac. The shop I worked in that sold them has long since closed. @diversteve has hit closer to a solution of finding parts than I can.

I realize the following is not the answer you are looking for, however it is the route (easy way out) I've taken. Consider going with a Backplate and Wing system. (Beginners Guide To BP/W ) It's the same concept as the AT-Pac just a modern version. For an inflator, I use a ScubaPro balanced inflator. Balancing makes it less prone to inflate un-commanded. Atomics also has one, there are probably other manufactures.

For the type of diving I do (warm water-single tank) I like the Freedom Plate as it is designed for a single tank rather that modified double tank plate. I also like the Vintage Double Hose wing.

Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

Store | Vintage Double Hose

If you still have the AT-Pac backpack, you may be able to modify it for use with a modern wing. Vintage Double hose also makes a nice single tank backplate that is a bit more economical than the Freedom Plate.
Store | Vintage Double Hose

Edit: I see @Akimbo has beat me to the typewriter. Do you know if the AT-Pac backpack will accommodate a standard wing?

Edit: I see @Akimbo has beat me to the typewriter. Do you know if the AT-Pac backpack will accommodate a standard wing?

Not sure because it was the first thing I tossed. I replaced the At-Pac backpack with a blow-molded pack with a lower profile. It was too bulky for my taste and the lead shot & glass marbles weight system was too difficult to adjust for different suits. You can see it in the image above it you look carefully.

Not sure because it was the first thing I tossed. I replaced the At-Pac backpack with a blow-molded pack with a lower profile. It was too bulky for my taste and the lead shot & glass marbles weight system was too difficult to adjust for different suits. You can see it in the image above it you look carefully.

:) cut and paste from a post I made several years ago.
At Packs : A shop I where I worked sold them, and once while I was in the pool demonstrating to my class how the weight system worked, I released the trap door mechanism and....nothing happened. The weight balls just stayed stuck in the back. Mine had a combination round lead weights and marbles. I had to rap on the back pack several times to get the weights to drop. It was very embarrassing moment but now thinking about it brings a smile to my face.

Do you know if the AT-Pac backpack will accommodate a standard wing?
I don't think so. Maybe if you had a wing that only attached using nylon cable for the circumference and was a little oversize to take up the slack.

The shot box was kind of elongated and got wider near the bottom.. You just laced the supplied wing in. The shape is slightly different than most modern wings that I've seen. IIRC there were plastic loops at intervals around the circumference.You can sort of see it
vintage-seapro-water-gill-inc-pac_1_963d2aaaab122d9751bc3911f4b2e6ef.jpg
, the white cord is what holds it on. It's literally just double knotted at the end.

Also it would have to be a horseshoe as the drop mechanism rides between the wing halves on the bottom in back.

view from the back:
vintage-seapro-water-gill-inc-pac_1_963d2aaaab122d9751bc3911f4b2e6ef.jpg

fyi Nordik SeaPro folded in the late 80's. I haven't seen any of their parts in 20 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom