Mares Excite vs. Quattro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure of the Excite fin , but I love my Mares avanti quattro full foot fins !
Sea Dwellers

They look nearly identical. Best I can tell, the only difference is that the excite has a larger "flexible" area near the center of the fin where the quattro has two smaller flexible strips with harder plastic in between.
This guy does a "review" (okay, it's more of a sales pitch than a review) of the excite:

I have both. Not sure I’m qualified to do a compare and contrast as I only have 11 dives on the Excite Pros (not regular) and 1 pool dive with the Quattros. The latter were a bit too large for me and, therefore, wobbly. So not a fair comparison.

The only gripe I have with the Excite Pros is that under certain conditions for which I have not totally figured out, I have felt like I kicked something (like coral or another diver) when I have not. Upon feeling like I have kicked something, I would quickly look under and back towards my fins and there was no coral or fish or diver anywhere near my fins. This happened several times on different dives. It’s annoying and I suspect it is a result of the way it flexes and bounces back under certain current conditions, or my angle of kick. I mainly use flutter. It’s rather annoying. I have never experienced this with my previous fins, Aqualung Hotshots.

Last edited:
I have both. Not sure I’m qualified to do a compare and contrast as I only have 11 dives on the Excite Pros (not regular) and 1 pool dive with the Quattros. The latter were a bit too large for me and, therefore, wobbly. So not a fair comparison.

The only gripe I have with the Excite Pros is that under certain conditions for which I have not totally figured out, I have felt like I kicked something (like coral or another diver) when I have not. Upon feeling like I have kicked something, I would quickly look under and back towards my fins and there was no coral or fish or diver anywhere near my fins. This happened several times on different dives. It’s annoying and I suspect it is a result of the way it flexes and bounces back under certain current conditions, or my angle of kick. I mainly use flutter. It’s rather annoying. I have never experienced this with my previous fins, Aqualung Hotshots.
I had that happen with my mares x-stream fins. It turned out the "bump" I felt was the fin switching sides (top vs bottom) where the soft rubber was extended slightly. The excite pro seems to have that same soft rubber in the middle so I'd bet that is what's causing you to feel the bump.

I had that happen with my mares x-stream fins. It turned out the "bump" I felt was the fin switching sides (top vs bottom) where the soft rubber was extended slightly. The excite pro seems to have that same soft rubber in the middle so I'd bet that is what's causing you to feel the bump.

I read in another thread that you had the same “issue”. Thanks! I thought I was hallucinating at first. But now I can confidently say, “It’s not me, it’s the fins!”

Back
Top Bottom