Mares Hub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey - in my defence, I'm hardly the biggest BP/wing pusher around here (especially lately.) I shut up until the term "technical" showed up (not that the BP/wing is a tech rig) but I think everyone agrees that buying a HUB ESPECIALLY if he wants to get into tech is a bad, bad idea.

Boogie711:
Hey - in my defence, I'm hardly the biggest BP/wing pusher around here (especially lately.) I shut up until the term "technical" showed up (not that the BP/wing is a tech rig) but I think everyone agrees that buying a HUB ESPECIALLY if he wants to get into tech is a bad, bad idea.

I'm only teasing :wink:

Boogie only got to it first because I didn't see the thread start!!

i started another thread realising that i didnt really need to .. and i wrote that quick reply as well realising that i should have read above.. so what exactly is a BP/Wing set? why is it different from a standard BCD? the only bp/wing set i can get here is the Halcyon. is Halcyon a good name in diving? anyone own one?
do i need to dive with a different regulator etc.. when i use a BP/Wing?

btw thanks a lot for this info guys..

Jalal

The Halcyon bp/wing rocks. It has a metal backplate, making it negative in the water, allowing you to wear less lead. The harness is simple, robust, and foolproof. It's incredibly stable on your back. There is zero bulk and the entire unit completely disappears underwater. It's free of things that get in your way and slow you down.

You wear it the same way as a "regular" BC, your regs can be the same, etc etc. I highly recommend the system.

Halcyon produces high quality products, and if that's what's available that's what I'd buy. It's what I use.

diver371:
so what exactly is a BP/Wing set?
Basicly, you have a metal plate with harness webbing attached to it, and an inflatable BC wing gets sandwiched between the plate and your tank(s). It doesn't show the tank, but here's a rough drawing of the rest of the rig.
http://home.comcast.net/~msilvia7/bpwing.gif
diver371:
why is it different from a standard BCD?
It's more stable underwater, is simpler to maintain, is easier to customize, and is less prone to failure.
diver371:
is Halcyon a good name in diving?
Yes. They're pretty widely respected, and I use one of their wings for single tank diving.
diver371:
No, you use the same kind of tank, so the same kind of regulator connects to it. Many people who use this kind of rig opt for a longer primary hose than is typically used by recreational divers, but it's a matter of preference.

diver371:
i started another thread realising that i didnt really need to .. and i wrote that quick reply as well realising that i should have read above.. so what exactly is a BP/Wing set? why is it different from a standard BCD? the only bp/wing set i can get here is the Halcyon. is Halcyon a good name in diving? anyone own one?

btw thanks a lot for this info guys..

Jalal

I don't like the hub system for a number of reasons, several of which have been posted others which haven't.

1. First of all I don't like the air trim system. While it is a good design, it is not what most divers are used to, in an emergency situation when I needed to deflate my B.C. that is not where I would reach. However if you are a brand new diver you might not find it as ackward. To me it is the equivalent of a car with the breaks located on the turnsignal.
2. I don't like the idea of having everything all in one. If you want to get a new BC you need to get a new reg, and vice versa. I have a TV/VCR combo like this. The VCR went out, now I have a VCR combo sitting ontop of another VCR.
3. Because they are a bit of a novelty, should you have a gear problem on a dive trip it is unlikely you will be able to find some one with spare parts, or who knows how to fix the HUB.
4. As previously mentioned, the regulator set up worries me first of all connecting primary and back up regs is just stupid. I have not read specs reguarding this, but it seems like the 2 regs comming off of one LP hose could create an issue with sufficent flow if sharing air at depth. (if someone knows more details on the specs of the reg please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken here). Second the octo is not located in a "normal location".

You mentioned an interest in tec diving. Definatly avoid the HUB. It is completely wrong for this type of diving.

My preferece is to the Dive Rite Trans Pac. http://www.dive-rite.com/products/bcd/transpac.htm It is much more comfortable than the metal back plates (However you do lose the weight of the plate- if you are diving warm water this is a little less of a concern since you don't have thick wet suit or dry suit buoyancy to offset). Prior to purchasing my harness and wings, I tried a variety of different harnesses and various webbing configurations, but all were quite uncomfortable, the trans pac is more comfortable than my recreational gear. They (Dive Rite) also offer a wide range of bladders to accomidate different gear configurations (most companies do this). Other manufacturers I would recomend include OMS http://www.omsdive.com/index.html Halcyon is also a good company.

For regulators, I like SCUBAPRO. MK18/G250 is a relatively inexpensive model. You can't go wrong with APEX regs either, but they are considerably more expensive. Dive Rite also makes some decent regs. If you want to get in to tech diving I would avoid Mares, I have a proton which I now only use in the pool due to problems with free flows at depth. If you are diving cold water I would also avoid Oceanic Regs, they are great regs in warm water, but I had 2 students free flow Oceanics on the same dive in cold water.

Hope this information helps.

Polly

wow that was a great beginner's guide MSilvia. Thanks for your info... are BP/Wing sets more advanced ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom