Mares Icon Expensive Piece of Junk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrcavallo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Title says it all.

I have just purchased the icon hd with transmitter and am very disappointed with the trouble I am having pairing the devices.

Sometimes I successfully pair however when I go to the dive screen there is no tank information. After several more unsuccessful attempts I decided to change the battery.

As soon as I tried it did not pair. I then tried again later and successfully paired. When I went to dive screen again there was no tank information. An attempt to pair again was unsuccessful. I've owned numerous computers and have never had this level of frustration and for an expensive device this is unacceptable. I will be replacing this very quickly if I cannot resolve it soon.

I understand the process of pairing within 2 minutes. I have done this every time. Waited minutes without pressure then tried again. Sometimes works sometimes doesn't, but I'm yet to actually dive with air pressure displayed. Bloody disgusted.

I will be returning this piece of junk and making sure I tell all my divers to avoid the same problems.

I would appreciate any help you can offer, but I doubt it will help other than getting a better product.

Shame on you Mares, I had such faith.

Thank you,

Mark

You have "bottle" picture, but don`t have pressure readings?
Try to breathe from reg, transmitter sends pressure only when it change.

Hello.

OK so I did 2 more dives today and gave the computer another go. Seems I have found a work around but it is most frustrating - every time I add a new tank I have to pair the transmitter and it can take up to half a dozen times to pair successfully. This means I need extra time to get it to work, sitting there constantly pressing pair after it remains unsuccessful.

I finally had air readings but I am certainly not happy with the process. Diving is meant to be an enjoyable and relaxing experience yet I felt anxiety on the way to each site wondering if the devices would pair or not. This should simply not be the case. I've not had this with an Oci or Suunto - both of which always paired without any issues. Not to mention I didn't have to constantly 're-pair' them. Shouldn't the computer remember the transmitter the next time I connect a new tank? Yet I find between dives I have to go through this arduous process of pairing again and again. Just screams poor hardware and software. I own other Mares equipment I am very happy with - but will not be buying their computers again.

Thank you for any feedback anyway.

Mark.

You are doing something wrong or maybe the battery in the Icon is shot. I paired my Icon with the transmitter on the first try and have never had to do it again. It has never lost pairing. I have different sized tanks and even when I forget to change the volume and working pressure before the dive it still gives me the exact PSI throughout the dive. I've found the Icon to be an excellent computer.

You have "bottle" picture, but don`t have pressure readings?
Try to breathe from reg, transmitter sends pressure only when it change.

This is wrong. The Icon transmitter searches for a computer to transmit to whenever the pressure is over 220psi. It has nothing to do with pressure change.

Swap it out at the place that you bought it for a new one and stop whining. You haven't even given Mares or your retailer a chance to remediate the issue yet you're ready to badmouth everyone.

Swap it out at the place that you bought it for a new one and stop whining. You haven't even given Mares or your retailer a chance to remediate the issue yet you're ready to badmouth everyone.

for a $1700 piece of hardware i have every right to whine tridacna. i am in the middle of nowhere with a dozen more dives to do with this frustrating issue. i also had no time to test on a bottle as i received it the day before i left.

what happened to Mares Q/A? the way this was packaged there is no way it was damaged during transport. i find a simple 'swap this out' excuse unacceptable in this day and age, especially when you are paying this much.

We still don't know if it is a user error on your part or a defect. One question is why it arrived
the day before you left. That's cutting it way too close if you are headed to the middle of nowhere as you put it.

brand new $1700 product - should work mate.

took a spare battery and that was honestly the only thing i expected could go wrong. i work in an industry where if something goes wrong as a result of us missing something in Q/A we have the whole PT department on our backs - and i certainly do not have a problem with that. i am used to being hammered for the slightest issues so forgive me if you think i am being harsh but i expect things to work! especially something as important as a dive computer.

you may think i am not giving Mares a chance but that is the way it is these days. you have a bad experience with a car, tv, a computer and in many cases you lose that customer next time it comes to purchasing a new one. this is no different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom