Mares Icon Expensive Piece of Junk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you even tried to contact the dealer or Mares? Maybe you are doing something wrong. That is my point. You also didn’t address why it arrived the day before you were going. You may be right but you haven’t made that case yet.

So...your lack of planning become's someone else's emergency? Wait, it's your own.

C'mon. S.h.i.t happens mate.. It's how the company responds that's the acid test. If you're going on a trip into nowhere, you should be testing everything well before you leave. You can't go on a rant just because you planned badly. I have not heard a single reason why I would not buy the product (besides the fact that it's a total POS which is a different story altogether). Personally I think that you should have done better research before buying this thing but that's another story.

for a $1700 piece of hardware i have every right to whine tridacna. i am in the middle of nowhere with a dozen more dives to do with this frustrating issue. i also had no time to test on a bottle as i received it the day before i left.

what happened to Mares Q/A? the way this was packaged there is no way it was damaged during transport. i find a simple 'swap this out' excuse unacceptable in this day and age, especially when you are paying this much.
$1700? Really? I'm curious as to why you didn't go for a Perdix AI at $1175? What about the Icon HD made you pick it over, by most accounts, the better Shearwater unit?

The Shearwater is not a better rec computer and $1700 is crazy expensive. I bought mine new with the TX from leisure pro for $600...

Anyway, sounds like a typical situation with electronics. I believe it's called the bathtub curve where if failure is going to happen it will happen in the beginning and the failure rate will increase at life expectancy of the device.

Give me a moment and I'll post the paring instructions that are separate from the manual. This may help if your issue is that you can't get it to pair.

Otherwise I would swap the unit with the dealer or call Mares. Their customer service is top notch, IME.

$1700? Really? I'm curious as to why you didn't go for a Perdix AI at $1175? What about the Icon HD made you pick it over, by most accounts, the better Shearwater unit?

Australian dollars everyone. Kinda like Mickey Mouse dollars but they speak funny and can’t play cricket any more.

The Shearwater is not a better rec computer and $1700 is crazy expensive. I bought mine new with the TX from leisure pro for $600...

Anyway, sounds like a typical situation with electronics. I believe it's called the bathtub curve where if failure is going to happen it will happen in the beginning and the failure rate will increase at life expectancy of the device.

Give me a moment and I'll post the paring instructions that are separate from the manual. This may help if your issue is that you can't get it to pair.

Otherwise I would swap the unit with the dealer or call Mares. Their customer service is top notch, IME.
Currently, the Icon HD is $1,000 at Leisure Pro so you must have got one hell of a deal!

So...your lack of planning become's someone else's emergency? Wait, it's your own.

C'mon. S.h.i.t happens mate.. It's how the company responds that's the acid test. If you're going on a trip into nowhere, you should be testing everything well before you leave. You can't go on a rant just because you planned badly. I have not heard a single reason why I would not buy the product (besides the fact that it's a total POS which is a different story altogether). Personally I think that you should have done better research before buying this thing but that's another story.

actually tridacna i am not a seasoned diver - i had the OCi but i got sick of replacing the batteries so i wanted a rechargeable unit. i really liked the look of the icon display and actually read a number of very positive reviews. i also live a long way from coast and to be honest it is not that easy to get your hands on a tank to test a transmitter (note i have not had to for any other unit). i stand by my argument that it should have worked. i do not see how that could possibly be unreasonable.

issues aside - the computer - all other aspects are great - it shows all the info i need and has synced to my mac perfectly. no complaints there - and i have to say underwater it looks fantastic.

as an update - someone else today had the same transmitter and lo and behold i was able to connect to his tank no problem. so i figure it is the transmitter.

i am sorry but this still really pisses me off. you may be ok with having to send stuff back where you purchased it for a replacement under warranty but i find it a huge hassle. this is not hi-tech stuff - i have a $100 underwater camera that has not missed a beat and talks to my computer wirelessly. Mares equipment should be much more reliable.

anyway - now i know the issue i have settled down a little but i am still upset that the product has let me down as this stuff should be bullet proof.

cheers.

Currently, the Icon HD is $1,000 at Leisure Pro so you must have got one hell of a deal!

have you guys seen the prices in Oz? it is a complete rort.

i generally buy from O/S but i needed this within a week and had no other option. i purchased a complete set of Mares first and second stage (Abyss) with console for half the price my dad bought for the same equipment locally.

so yeah - i could easily have picked this up even on eBay for just under 1k with transmitter. it was a little cheaper i admit - advertised for $1700 but i got them down to $1500. i went with the advertised price to emphasise my point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom