Mares Icon HD Net Ready Firmware Updates discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea been a bit to long with promises and no resoluts, think it could be a great computer if they took it serious and put the work into it.
just funny they said trimix and icon hd in 2012 and still aint happening. then when the 4.2 came out they said it again and now alomst a year later nothing again.
kinda tired of waiting

BTW, if they need beta testers... they should just ask here!!!
for sure, would be happy to do the work, got the icon when it came out and with the amount of errors there was i kinda felt like a beta tester of the computer. but all in all i still like it as a recreational computer and hate that im losing faith in it

Maybe that's their market? Recreational? I know that Shearwater kinda' has the tech market sewn up. I just bought a used Cobalt 2, and I'm playing with it, and I'm liking it, out of the water at least. Can't wait to get in the water with it.

It uses a variant of the proprietary RGBM algorithm.

Most Deco software uses the other non-proprietary algorithms so you can make backup tables and easily generate alternative schedules that mostly match technical dive computers that use the same algorithm. Not so easy for the proprietary RGBM. However, NAUI courses have used a special table version of RGBM which can be used to generate schedules.

A really good technical computer can do simplified versions of Dive planning. The Shearwater perdix for example can do multiple gas dive planning, but you can only have one SAC rate for both the working and deco parts for gas consumption planning. Deco software allows you to use separate rates.

So, for the icon, mostly recreational, but could be used for technical. This subject came up at my last Mares service update. The Mares / extended range videos show them using icons.

I used a icon for recreational diving for two years and was quite happy with it. It has a great display including a compass that almost anyone can use.

Last edited:
Maybe that's their market? Recreational? I know that Shearwater kinda' has the tech market sewn up. I just bought a used Cobalt 2, and I'm playing with it, and I'm liking it, out of the water at least. Can't wait to get in the water with it.
yea as a Recreational computer, as i can't (for good reason) use it for trimix when i go twinset.
Cobalt is a consol computer isnt it ? never been big fan of that myself.

It uses a variant of the proprietary RGBM algorithm.

Most Deco software uses the other non-proprietary algorithms so you can make backup tables and easily generate alternative schedules that mostly match technical dive computers that use the same algorithm. Not so easy for the proprietary RGBM. However, NAUI courses have used a special table version of RGBM which can be used to generate schedules.

A really good technical computer can do simplified versions of Dive planning. The Shearwater perdix for example can do multiple gas dive planning, but you can only have one SAC rate for both the working and deco parts for gas consumption planning. Deco software allows you to use separate rates.

So, for the icon, mostly recreational, but could be used for technical. This subject came up at my last Mares service update. The Mares / extended range videos show them using icons.

I used a icon for recreational diving for two years and was quite happy with it. It has a great display including a compass that almost anyone can use.

Yea i like it for recreational diving, easy computer with a clear screen. but as you say mares is new moving towards tech more with revo and extended range so why arent they pushing the software for the icon towards trimix and Buhlman 16 algorithm as they are loosing out on tech computers, and if the hardware is what they say it is then make the icon to the tech computer of mares and let it be what it was said it should be when they launched it .

yea as a Recreational computer, as i can't (for good reason) use it for trimix when i go twinset.
Cobalt is a consol computer isnt it ? never been big fan of that myself.
Yes, the Cobalt is a console, and I am using it as my backup. But it sure is impressive.

If I have the facts right, there were not a whole lot of people in mares that were tech instructors when they bought Ssi. So the one guy That I met who does have TEC knowledge moved from mares equipment / service to Ssi. The announcement was not official when I heard it. I think he is really going to go back and fourth.

All the ssi tech videos have mares equipment prominently displayed. I would be very surprised if mares did not come out with a more tech oriented computer in the future that used buhlman.

The cobalt has two things against it for tech. First it is a hosed ai computer not an analog gauge and second, it also uses RGBM. I used one before I got the icon. But since it is hosed, and I wanted so redundancy, I went to the icon and an analog gauge.

Industry rumor was that atomic was going to develop a wrist cobalt, but huish bought liquid vision which only makes wrist computers. Then again the rumors about the atomic bcd went on forever and they bought zeagle. I think a lot of people were surprised when the atomic bcd actually came out.

Yes, the Cobalt is a console, and I am using it as my backup. But it sure is impressive.
okay can only take you on your word, never used a consol before, so cant really say. im just a fan of the arm mount philosophy (apart from a spg ofcause)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom