Mares Icon HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tried to download the Dive Organizer on a friend's Windows Vista. I'm a Mac person. Anyway, apparently his malware protection software blocked the download so I'm still stuck with an early build that doesn't let MacDive talk to the ICON.
A few questions:
Can I send the ICON back to you to have your tech people do the firmware upgrade? I tried my LDS/Mares dealer (who will remain unnamed) but after a month they still hadn't been able to do it.
If so, assuming you had it by Monday or Tuesday, could you have it back to me by the end of the week? Going to Bonaire 1/27/2011.
Thinking of buying a new or used ICON HD online. Would the same upgrade policy apply when the AI model comes out? Would I have to go through the dealer or could I do directly through Mares in Florida?
Thanks in advance

Jim,

PM sent re: your first question.
2nd question, a 2nd hand owner can upgrade their Icon HD with air integration when available. Note: The computer may be upgraded only one time regardless of how many owners.

Best,

Zak

Thanks Zak. So if I pick up a unit online I can participate in the swap when it becomes available. Will this have to be done through a dive shop or can I swap it out directly through Mares?

Reason I ask, is that the LDS should be happy to swap out the unit I brought from them but might be reluctant to handle a unit purchased elsewhere...and understandably so.

I have followed these forums for years - but have never registered. As such, this is my first post of a simple "question."

In advance, I apologize if this information is available somewhere else. I have searched this forum for updated information on the release date for the elusive transmitter for the Mares Icon HD. Like others, I purchased this unit with the understanding that the air integration (i.e. the release of the transmitter) would occur in "Summer 2009". Then "Spring 2010." Then "Autumn 2010."

I visited the Mares website today and found that it will be available "from spring 2011."

Respectfully, I bought this unit as opposed to the OC1, based on the representation by a sales agent (for Mares) that the transmitter would be rolling out soon (Summer 2009"), information confirmed by the company's own website. I am huge fan of Oceanic computers (as I have owned a good number of them over the years). This is my first Mares product.

Question: Other than "it will be released when it is ready" can anyone (such as Zak) give us better idea if this is actually going to happen this year? And, when?

Thanks Zak. So if I pick up a unit online I can participate in the swap when it becomes available. Will this have to be done through a dive shop or can I swap it out directly through Mares?

Reason I ask, is that the LDS should be happy to swap out the unit I brought from them but might be reluctant to handle a unit purchased elsewhere...and understandably so.

Jim,
We will generally not handle upgrades directly with the consumer. Maybe under rare circumstances will this occur. Any purchases of Mares products should go through a local retailer. I understand your concern about where you purchased your Icon. I would not worry too much as there is an incentive for the authorized Mares Dealer to handle the upgrade. We understand there is a bit of work involved in managing the upgrade process. I hope this helps.

Zak

Thanks lots! That does clarify the matter and dovetails with what I have heard. Concerning the previous poster's comments, of course we're all a bit frustrated but understand that precisely because of prior predictions you guys are a bit gunshy about specific dates!
On the other hand, the wait would be easier if you could drop some hints as to any new features over and above A! There have been some rumors... ;-)

On the other hand, the wait would be easier if you could drop some hints as to any new features over and above A! There have been some rumors... ;-)

Oh...let's gossip here. :eyebrow: Zak will reel us back in if we get too far off base. What have you heard?

I think it would be cool if the thermometer for temp readings were on the AI unit and not on the wrist mount. I get higher temp readings than others on the dive and I think it is because it is registering my body heat.

Oh, let's! ...with the proviso that EVERYTHING we chatter about is just chatter.
I had heard the big thing will be communication, unit to unit, and boat to unit. The former kinda makes sense. If you can read your buddy's Air supply, why couldn't you pass messages along like, "look at this," "where the %%#$ are you? and "Danger, Will Robinson!" As far as the latter, an optional ultrasonic beacon, hung off the boat could steer us in and spare the embarrassment of surfacing next to the wrong boat.
Again just chatter, but sure would make an attractive package now that easy to read computers like the Cobalt and that Swiss DC are shipping.

Ok, I got a chance to try out my Icon in the pool :depressed: only tonight and have a few questions. I could not enter the map mode, was this disabled because I was only in 13 feet of water? Secondly related to dive organizer download. I was able to do the download from the Icon but even though I have the HD set for imperial units, the organizer software only shows in Meters/ Celsius. I could not find anywhere in the organizer settings where to change this, where do I find it?

Sleepr. Did you download the latest dive organizer from the website, or did you upload from the computer or a disc? If you did any of the latter, I suggest you delete them from your add/remove manager section of your PC. Then go to Mares.com and download the latest dive organizer from our website. Then connect your Icon HD and run a firmware update. This will ensure that your organizer and Icon are running the latest updates. I believe this will solve your issues.

I haven't heard of any issues with accessing the maps, as you should be able to do this at any depth. If updating the above does not allow this functionality, I would take it to your dealer for further assistance.

I hope this helps.

Zak

Back
Top Bottom