Mares Nemo Wide or Oceanic Geo 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dusty61

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello guys, I am losing sleep over which computer to buy: the mares nemo wide or the oceanic geo 2.0. I have found a store where I can get both for the same price. I am a new diver however I do not want to outgrow my computer. I do like the nemo for the wide display however I don't have poor vision. I can't see the Geo being too difficult to see. I would like something that has features that I can later use as I increase my skill and training. I will be doing most dive in cold water so I was wondering how difficult the geo is to activate any buttons like the backlight with gloves on?

All your help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

I had the geo 1 and it kept having battery problems so I returned it. It was hard to navigate however from the reviews on the net, the 2.0 doesn't appear to have the problem.

I have been using the Geo 2.0 over a year, and have had no problems with it. I bought it when I started doing deeper dives, and needed the exact NDL instead of what the tables told me, and I wanted something that was going to last awhile, as my training increased. I dive cold water most of the year around Lake Erie areas and have had no difficulty with pushing buttons on it in 5mm gloves. Not too long ago I got my Nitrox Cert. and the geo2 works just fine with that as well. I think this is a great watch you will not out grow too quickly. Battery is cheap to replace, about $5 or $6 and you can replace it yourself in about 15 seconds. (but I have not yet had to replaced mine).

However, I am looking to upgrade mine as I prepare to start my Instructor Course, and depending on the amount you want to spend there is a dive computer you can buy, and purchase upgrades and it unlocks features from a pin you type into the computer that you get after upgrade purchase. It is basic and stripped down,but everything you need for now, until you want to add something to it. So if/when you do Trimix, you can unlock that. If you want to use it as an O2 Analyzer, you can unlock that with upgrade, also Rebreathers, etc. THE UPGRADES ARE CHEAPER THAN BUYING A NEW COMPUTER EACH TIME! This one does it all. Even though this model is a year or so old, I have been looking at buying the VR3 by VR Technology, a bunch of the instructors dive with these, and love them! There is a NEWER model available called the NHeO3, and I have been waiting for a few more reviews to come in about it, and if the upgradeability is the same as the VR3. It does retail for about $875 US, but i'm not sure what features that includes, if all/any. There was a great deal back in September for a completely unlocked VR3 for $800, when you send in an old (working or not) computer to be recycled, but i missed that train....

I hope this doesn't throw an additional wrench in the mix, but just something to think about. Good luck with you decision. I'm going to continue my quest of VR3 vs NHeO3....

Not looking to spend anywhere close to $800 lol. But the geo 2.0 review was most helpful. Like I said, it is a choice between the geo 2.0 and the nemo wide. I don't intend on becoming an instructor.

By the way- I an get both a new geo 2.0 or nemo wide for $289.

Where did you find it for that price???

I got friends in high places lol. I just needed help on which one to pick. I think I am going to go with the geo2.0

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom