Mares Puck PC Cable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone. I know I respond to an old thread, but yesterday I bought a mares smart as a replacement for my Suunto Spyder with, sadly, a broken display.

I think my wife goes bananas if I also order a expensive Mares Cable, so I would like to build the interface. Can someone please sent me the PCB? I am an electrotechnician, so soldering should not be a problem.

Greatings from the Netherlands,
Jeroen

Just to say another thank you to all the contributors here!

I had the parts for this project kicking around for a couple years while I was distracted with family (first baby, etc.) until I finally implemented the interface. Got back from a dive trip where I certified AOW and Nitrox and saw someone bump the thread, so I sat down and worked on it. With everything on hand, I completed the project in a matter of 3 hours (even with my 9 month old daughter distracting me and trying to eat some of the components).

I successfully pulled data from my Mares Puck this evening!

My wife has a Puck Pro so that will be the next computer I try to download.

As you can see in the photos, it was a bit of a hack job. I just bread boarded the circuit components and used alligator clips to connect to the dive computer.

Last edited:
Hi Russoft,

Good job I have just ordered the parts and try to build one for my new mares smart (hope it is the same as the Mares Puck) Right now I am diving in Cannes (Mediterianian France) and be back home in about two weeks. I hope that the parts arrived by that time and I can build and read out my latest dives. I make some pictures and post them. Hope it works...

Rgrds,
Jeroen

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the parts?

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the parts?

I got the CP2102 USB to TTL converter off eBay for a $2.00

From Digikey, which is not known for cheap parts, I ordered:
Resistors: $0.04 ea
NAND gate: $0.45
capacitor: $0.19
diode: $0.39

A few bucks total for components alone. Probably closer to $15 if I included the total cost for shipping, and the unused components I ordered to get volume discount.

yeah... my experience with partsexpress is that you spend a dollar on the components and fifteen on the shipping. For mares cables it adds up to almost half as much as the new factory-made cable: not too bad, but nothing to brag about really. Of course if you're into that sort of thing: putting it all together on a breadboard: priceless.

Well, the price on the interface cable has dropped substantially (LeisurePro selling for $50). It used to be $100. I already had all the components (ordered when the cable was expensive), so it just made sense to build it. I still think it's an overpriced cable.

I got the CP2102 USB to TTL converter off eBay for a $2.00

From Digikey, which is not known for cheap parts, I ordered:
Resistors: $0.04 ea
NAND gate: $0.45
capacitor: $0.19
diode: $0.39

A few bucks total for components alone. Probably closer to $15 if I included the total cost for shipping, and the unused components I ordered to get volume discount.

This project makes me happy. Thanks for sharing. Cameron

I ordered the CP2102 off alieexpress. Free shipping for total 1.20 (shipping to the Netherlands and customs is never an issue)

Rgrds,
Jeroen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom