Mares Quattro = Cramps = Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joel smith

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been diving with these Mares Quattro fins about 6 months , I like the way they work except they cause cramps at times. Im serriously considering a pair of split fins and just need oppinions on which split fins to buy .

I like the way they work except they cause cramps at times

obviously you do not like they way the quattros work, if you did you wouldn't be getting cramps and talking about it here.

Joel, with 0-24 dives in 6 months I have to wonder if your legs are in shape for diving. Fins load muscles in a pretty unique way. There are some exercises that can prepare you but nothing beats swimming with fins on. If able I suggest logging some skin-diving time, even laps in a pool. That will let your legs become virtually cramp proof.

There are other possible causes of the problem such as low hydration (drink more water pre-dive) or a potassium low (eat a banana).

You will find fans of nearly any split fin you want to try and in the end it will come down to what feels good to you. I tried the highly regarded Atomic splits and to me they felt like a bag of worms, go figure. I have a number of friends who find the APS Mantaray Dive Fins to be a gentle fin. We have had good luck with the soft center / vented Aeris Velocity series, now the Velocity X3.

Pete

How long had Mares Quattro ABS been in production? There must be good reason for its to be still "alive" even though it is being produced in Czech than Italy. I do get cramp occasionally because of tireness.
It is one of the best in the market but it is NOT a beginner fin.

Mares manufacturers a number of very good and efficient fins. I have Mares Plana fins in both regular and the stiffer graphite models, the Quattro series etc. The Mares fins are all very good fins.

You can decide between fins that flap about, stiff fins, or different models of fins using the split fin technology.

Take your time before you spend your money.

The advise about swimming with the fins is great. Hard to argue with exercise to prevent cramping.

The first thing I would do is see how well the system of your foot, booties and fins fit. It should be snug with little play in any direction.

If that is good, go to your LDS and try a pair of spring heel straps. They make it a lot easier donning and doffing your fins and have the benefit of flexing when you swim. That flexing will reduce the strain on your muscles and decrease cramping. You will need to take your booties and fins to get properly fitted. Should run you $40 on the high side for a basic set of springs.

It's a guess, but what I think is going on is that you are not relaxed enough and spending too much energy maintaining position with your legs.

As previously suggested, try to find some time for conditioning and getting accustomed to the Quattros before spending the money on new split fins. The Quattros are arguably some of the best fins on the market. I put spring straps on mine Mares Stainless Steel Fin Spring Straps 415348 with reviews at scuba.com, wear them with Seasoft Sunray boots Seasoft 3mm Sunray Titanium Heavy Duty Low Top Zipper Dive Boots SRB with reviews at scuba.com and really love them. The solid sole boot is key to preventing cramps with open heel fins because they cause you to engage your larger thigh muscles rather than the calf and foot muscles that can easily cramp. I dive at least twice a day, six days a week and love my fins. If Caribbean, 100ft viz, no current diving is your norm it may be hard to appreciate the Quattros but once you find yourself in a strong current and/or needing to get somewhere quickly underwater the value of these fins is obvious.
Not intended to be a commercial for Mares but just don't like seeing people give up on quality gear when some minor fixes could change the whole feel of it.

The advise about swimming with the fins is great. Hard to argue with exercise to prevent cramping.

The first thing I would do is see how well the system of your foot, booties and fins fit. It should be snug with little play in any direction.

If that is good, go to your LDS and try a pair of spring heel straps. They make it a lot easier donning and doffing your fins and have the benefit of flexing when you swim. That flexing will reduce the strain on your muscles and decrease cramping. You will need to take your booties and fins to get properly fitted. Should run you $40 on the high side for a basic set of springs.

It's a guess, but what I think is going on is that you are not relaxed enough and spending too much energy maintaining position with your legs.

I am always drinking water, I eat at least one bannana a day , usually more. Itry to walk three times a week I have really tried to get in better shape for diving. I will try the spring heel straps ,I do try and relax, but you might be right about spending to much time trying maintain position with my legs.

As previously suggested, try to find some time for conditioning and getting accustomed to the Quattros before spending the money on new split fins. The Quattros are arguably some of the best fins on the market. I put spring straps on mine Mares Stainless Steel Fin Spring Straps 415348 with reviews at scuba.com, wear them with Seasoft Sunray boots Seasoft 3mm Sunray Titanium Heavy Duty Low Top Zipper Dive Boots SRB with reviews at scuba.com and really love them. The solid sole boot is key to preventing cramps with open heel fins because they cause you to engage your larger thigh muscles rather than the calf and foot muscles that can easily cramp. I dive at least twice a day, six days a week and love my fins. If Caribbean, 100ft viz, no current diving is your norm it may be hard to appreciate the Quattros but once you find yourself in a strong current and/or needing to get somewhere quickly underwater the value of these fins is obvious.
Not intended to be a commercial for Mares but just don't like seeing people give up on quality gear when some minor fixes could change the whole feel of it.

Thanks for this advice , do the Sunray Titanium come in 7mm or 5mm I dive cold water also.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom