Mares Volo Or Apollo's ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

z28pwr

Reaction score
Well you guys convinced me on buying a good set of fins and mask therefore I'm getting the Oceanic Shadow but I'm debating fins between the Mares Volo and the Apollo's.

I want to buy them from the local Dive shop since they are letting me try them out and their price's aren't that bad.

They have the Mares Volo for $149 and the Apollo's for $179.

Only problem is I don't know which one to get I'm new at scuba therefore I have no idea which one would be better then the other. I'm going to see if they will let me try them out in the pool before I decide on one.

Only thing I hear is that the Apollo is not a padle style fin and will let you swim further with less oxygen.

I tried them both on today and felt more comfortable with the Volo's and really like their locking mechanism.

Any feedback would be apreciated.

Thanks.

Get something that does not cost so much. The old Plana Avanti would be fine.

Let me guess, you are a Chevy man.

If you only have these two choices, go for the volos, may look flimsy but its enough to propel you through the water with twin tanks on.

The mares locking mechanism is great but Stainless steel spring heel straps are even better. I think leisurepro has em and they are compatible with mares products too.

Before you buy either, watch your legs beside someone with regular fins. And get them to watch you. You will be doing twice the leg strokes if not more for the same distance/speed. The reason they feel so light on is because they're not providing as much resistance which means they're not moving as much water. If they're not moving as much water, then you're not moving as far or as fast. Nothing is free especially propulsion. My volos sit in my closet waiting for the day that someone nearby needs a set of free fins to play with the kiddies in pool, because thats all they're designed for. And Mares buckles are absolutely no treat either. Buy a real fin and learn to fin properly and you'll be much better for it. Doing a proper frog kick in volos would be next to impossible. There is nothing positive about these fins unless you think paying twice what an excellent set of fins can be had for is positive. Or maybe wasting plastic on crap toys is positive. As for the split fins which i have no experience with, if you look at their ads, they apparently chanel water out behind you if you're doing a flutter kick. My bet is, if that even is true, they dont chanel it all and the rest would have some up or down like regular fins at which point you'll be stirring up the bottom and providing great visibility for your buddies or those behind you.

Other than that, they're fine.

steve

Well, okay, I'll take a dissenting view.

I have a pair of apollo bio fins, and I wouldn't think of anything else!

My hubby bought the Mares Quattros which were the hot recommended model (pushed by his instructor, too) before the volos came out. He complained of a lot of leg fatigue and cramping. On one dive, we swapped fins. When we surfaced he went directly to buy a pair of Apollos.
(Anyone wanna buy a used pair of Quattros?)

And, in terms of kicking more or less -- I know with my Apollo's I am always encouraging new divers to slow their kicking down to match mine. I find that I typically have a very slow, relaxed kicking rate -- for me, it feels like I'm out for a stroll.

I also disagree with the idea that resistance = propulsion (pardon me, I'm not an engineer , but...) I think that the not ALL of the energy you use kicking (with any fin) goes directly to propulsion -- some of it is lost to the mechanical inefficiencies including friction, etc of the system -- so just because a fin feels like it is less work, doesn't necessarily mean that it provides less propulsion -- it depends on whether the "work" that you feel is all producing propulsion, or if some of it is lost in the system.

Of course, this for what it's worth -- Your Mileage May Vary.

Liz

However, you should try to get the opportunity to try both types of fins out. I use volos, and I do notice that I have a much easier fin stroke than some other divers, but that could also be from my lap swimming workouts :) I've never tried split fins, but a quick search on the board (which I'm sure you have) will give you a ton of threads for and against splits. Volos work for me in all respects (flutter, frog, hovering, and all the other fin techniques that I use). Like many other gear choices, go with what fits, works for you and what you're most comfortable with.

My husbands friend and his wife where doing their AOWD and still had mostly rental gear.I thought I'd be nice and loan her my Apollos.I can truely say I will try my hardest not to wear anything like a paddle fin again.If it's that or not dive I'll do it but hate the fin the whole time.It was so much harder for me to keep up with the group.Had no clue how spoiled I got by my apollos.

Jen

Wetman is a Turtle fin convert, while I am the opposite, after 25 years of diving with turtle fins, I purchased a pair of Volos.
But that's ok , we dive together often and we agree to disagree on some things.

When I got my Volos air consumption dropped 20%.

Feeling heavy force on your fins, quattos, jet fins or turtles doesn't mean more thrust, just more drag.

I do recommend you add spring straps regardless of the fins you choose. (on this Wetman and I agree).

My 2 cents worth.

Mike D

p.s. Hey Steve I'll take your Volos for free.

Oddly enough - they're off to cuba right now - my dad picked them up today, so we'll see how they do just plunking around the beach. Likely fall appart as they hit the sand with their faulty rubber or something.

:)

Heres one you can all try with your volos - fin backwards. (i'd actually would be quite curious if its even possible with volos or split fins)

steve

Yes Steve,

I can do em all... backwards, helicopter turn, mod frog, mod flutter etc. all the DIR kicks and maneuvers with my Volos. The secret isn't the blades, It's the spring straps....................ROFLMAO !

You are right about the rubber, there was likely a bad batch of material or it was processed wrong. Mares should never have shipped them out like that.

My hinges broke on my Volos and Mares replaced them.

MikeD

Back
Top Bottom