Mares Volos going for real cheap at Diveinn.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Edge

Reaction score
A shame since I bought mine a couple of months ago. Great fins in all conditions.

wetman once bubbled...
Wouldnt buy them again for 10 bux.

why would that be? Got problems adapting your kicks to suit the fins?

From what I've read on other posts, the Volo fin from Mares wears out pretty quick. The hinge point breaks. Here is a thread you can read:

Mares Volo Fin Thread

Some say they are great, others had problems. I don't have them, but I have a buddy at my LDS that used to use them and his broke also after swimming in moderate current water. He maintains his equipment in excellent shape. Could have been a fluke or as they mention in some threads, just an early batch of those fins. who knows.

:rolleyes:

Well lets see:

Mares fin buckles/straps - have been personally witness to 8 failures of them in the past 6 months on either my own fins (I have quatros and volos) or others i've dove with - and thats not counting just the buckles opening by themselves if you accidentally touch your feet together. Add to that the genius design of their new red locks on their buckles that makes them hard as hell to unbuckle and you get a sense for my love of their buckles.

People say they hardly feel like they're on. Well, thats because they dont do anything for you - i think they're ok in situations where you dont need much propulsion at all - dead calm water when you have buddies that dont want to move anywhere fast.

I've had buddies complain that they have to kick, wait and then kick again so i can keep up to them - while i'm kicking the whole time. I've been very conscious of my legs moving much faster than others to keep up to the same pace.

All of these issues went away when i got my new turtle fins - i have power when i need it, can do any kick very comfortably and no one feels like they're waiting for me any more + i added spring straps so my fin panacea is complete.

Volos are joke and should be half the price of the quatros, not double.

Oh yes, theres also the crap rubber that is used throughout the fin - my hinged area is cracking as has been mentioned elsewhere by others. And you know, i'm not sure even new ones would be much better - its such a weak point in the fin that it looks like it would be the first part to break anyways.

I spent 260ish canadian on these things and now consider a fin design thats on the order of 30 years old and half the price superior in every way. Go figure.

steve

Well your volos WOULD crack if it was the 'A' batch of volos, which incidentally can be changed for the 'b' batch that does NOT crack, you can check this by looking at the sole of the volo and the production stamp would show either an A or B.

I dived with various people with various types of fins, including quattros. I find that although I have to kick more, I move much faster and the load is much lighter on the legs and knees. I had to change my kicking style from my use of the Plana avantis but it was a mere minor adjustment, requiring 2 dives to find the optimum kicking style. Incidentally, I been able to flutter, frog and back pedal using these fins.

If you still have your broken volos, have them changed out, and resell them. Remember, get the B batch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom