Marlin Dive Center in Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone tell me how it is diving the Red Sea and if you know anything about the Marlin Hotel and Dive Center? It seems affordable but I'd like to hear from other divers how it is? Also, big consideration, how safe is it for Americans? Thanks

pilotfish - as diving in the Red Sea - you can read my latest report ( I just came back) or some of the older ones - mine, chippy's and so on. Here you can also find my tips for all going to Egypt - some basic info.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=68804&highlight=tips,+egypt
And this is absolutly safe for americans - BTW On New Year Eve i met a whole bunch of people from LA - there was more than 30 - being on holiday there and enjoying it. Egypt is probably safer than your hometown - at least the most famous tourist resorts.
Diving there is absolutly great so if you have a chance to go there just grab it.
Mania

mania:
pilotfish - as diving in the Red Sea - you can read my latest report ( I just came back) or some of the older ones - mine, chippy's and so on. Here you can also find my tips for all going to Egypt - some basic info.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=68804&highlight=tips,+egypt
And this is absolutly safe for americans - BTW On New Year Eve i met a whole bunch of people from LA - there was more than 30 - being on holiday there and enjoying it. Egypt is probably safer than your hometown - at least the most famous tourist resorts.
Diving there is absolutly great so if you have a chance to go there just grab it.
Mania

That is very helpful. Thank you. The tipping: you state 10 dives $150? $15 a dive? Every place I've dove it is $5 per dive at the end of the week. That seems excessive. Do you work at a dive op in that area? Have you ever heard of Marlin Inn and Dive Center? Which is better Sharm El Shiek or Hurghdasp-sp? Egypt?

Well, it is around 150 Euros now for 10 dives. And they have a flat rate, so it doesn't change at the end of the week. Meantime Egypt switched from $ to Euro at the rate 1:1 so it of course means rise up of the prices.
I myself like Sharm more than Hurghada - diving in Sharm is a bit more difficult, a bit deeper and most are drift dives. The reef in Sharm is less destroyed than Hurghada. But Sharm is an artificial city build for tourists while Hurghada is an original one so more Egyptian. also Hurghada has this advantage that is closer to piraminds in Luxor than Sharm. So if you want to do some site seeing i would choose Hurghada. If you don't care about ancient Egypt - then take Sharm.
I don't work there I only love diving there so I go very often. I don't know Marlin Inn but if you look through topsics here you will find some names of diving centres used by other SB members - mainly European - we are quite close to Egypt.
and it's always a bit cheaper if you book diving in advance.
Any other questions - I will answer them with pleasure.
Mania

Are you talking about the price of diving, or the tipping? Do you mean a flat rate for tipping? I hope i understnad what you're saying. If you do 3 dives in one day you tip $45? That seems very extravagant. Poles, British, French and Geramns do that?
What is teh water temp in F in June?

From what you're saying, Sharm El Shiek seems the better diving?

I do appreciate your excellent help. Oh, is Sharm El Shiek under Israeli control?

mania:
Well, it is around 150 Euros now for 10 dives. And they have a flat rate, so it doesn't change at the end of the week. Meantime Egypt switched from $ to Euro at the rate 1:1 so it of course means rise up of the prices.
I myself like Sharm more than Hurghada - diving in Sharm is a bit more difficult, a bit deeper and most are drift dives. The reef in Sharm is less destroyed than Hurghada. But Sharm is an artificial city build for tourists while Hurghada is an original one so more Egyptian. also Hurghada has this advantage that is closer to piraminds in Luxor than Sharm. So if you want to do some site seeing i would choose Hurghada. If you don't care about ancient Egypt - then take Sharm.
I don't work there I only love diving there so I go very often. I don't know Marlin Inn but if you look through topsics here you will find some names of diving centres used by other SB members - mainly European - we are quite close to Egypt.
and it's always a bit cheaper if you book diving in advance.
Any other questions - I will answer them with pleasure.
Mania

OK we got into missunderstanding. 150 euros is the price of diving.
As the tips are concerned - usually it's not more than 2, 3 Egyptian Pounds. Plus I always give extra tip for the boat staff at the end of diving week - mine rate is 10- 15 Euro.
Sharm el Sheikh and the whole Sinai Penisula belongs to Egypt, was given back in 1979 by Isreal as the result of Camp David agreement that was signed in 1978.
Yes, I think Sharm is much better for diving that Hurghada reefs are more interesting.
Temp in June - air - 86-96F, water 77F up to 82 on the surface.
Hope now everything is clear.
BTW currency rates changed a bit.
1 US $ = 7 Egyptian pounds
1 Euro = 8,2 Egyptian pounds

If I still can help - do not hesitate asking
Mania

mania:
OK we got into missunderstanding. 150 euros is the price of diving.
As the tips are concerned - usually it's not more than 2, 3 Egyptian Pounds. Plus I always give extra tip for the boat staff at the end of diving week - mine rate is 10- 15 Euro.
Sharm el Sheikh and the whole Sinai Penisula belongs to Egypt, was given back in 1979 by Isreal as the result of Camp David agreement that was signed in 1978.
Yes, I think Sharm is much better for diving that Hurghada reefs are more interesting.
Temp in June - air - 86-96F, water 77F up to 82 on the surface.
Hope now everything is clear.
BTW currency rates changed a bit.
1 US $ = 7 Egyptian pounds
1 Euro = 8,2 Egyptian pounds

If I still can help - do not hesitate asking
Mania

OK, I know you have been patient so thanks .You give 2 to 3 Egyptian pounds each day for 3 tank dives and a bit extra at teh end of the week ? That seems more reasonable?

77* water temp would mean a 3 mil long suit with hood, for a male? Is that about right?

Thanks again

pilot fish - you don't give tips everyday (for diving). You simply give them one big tip at the very end of your holiday. BTW - most od the dive operators in Egypt do 2 dives a day. So it would be difficult for you to have 3 dives per day.
2 - 3 pounds is the standard tip for a bellman at the hotel, taxi driver etc.
Hope now it's clear?
3 mil with the hood? Difficult to answer - I get cold uw very easily so i use 5mm without hood.
And remeber - no gloves or knives - these are not allowed but on the wrecks.
Mania

mania:
pilot fish - you don't give tips everyday (for diving). You simply give them one big tip at the very end of your holiday. BTW - most od the dive operators in Egypt do 2 dives a day. So it would be difficult for you to have 3 dives per day.
2 - 3 pounds is the standard tip for a bellman at the hotel, taxi driver etc.
Hope now it's clear?
3 mil with the hood? Difficult to answer - I get cold uw very easily so i use 5mm without hood.
And remeber - no gloves or knives - these are not allowed but on the wrecks.
Mania

That is clear. Thanks again. You've been extremly helpful ,Mania

pilot fish
there are rather reports iwrote about diving in Sharm. One from August:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=68439
And the other one from May
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=55246
In this section of SB there are also reports from Hurghada and Dahab. Dahab is 90 km from Sharm with it's world famous blue hole and some absolutly fantastic dove sites. Many of the dive op in Sharm do organize one day in Dahab - but of course for this you have to pay extra but it's worth every cent.
BTW it's pleasure for me if I can help somebody - so at you service
Mania

Back
Top Bottom