Marlin Dive Center in Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania:
pilot fish
there are rather reports iwrote about diving in Sharm. One from August:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=68439
And the other one from May
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=55246
In this section of SB there are also reports from Hurghada and Dahab. Dahab is 90 km from Sharm with it's world famous blue hole and some absolutly fantastic dove sites. Many of the dive op in Sharm do organize one day in Dahab - but of course for this you have to pay extra but it's worth every cent.
BTW it's pleasure for me if I can help somebody - so at you service
Mania

I printed out your Egyptian vocabulary words in case I go there I will know a word or two. shokran :)

Will look at you links.

Hello Pilot Fish,

I am very pleasantly suprised to see your message since I registered on this board literally about 24 hours ago.

Anyway, I am the owner of Marlin Inn Dive Center and I can answer most of your questions.

1. Americans can consider themselves 100% safe in Egypt. Violent crime is virtually non-existant in our country.

2. Sharm-El-Sheikh is an Egyptian city, although it was briefly occupied by Israeli forces in the 1960's & 1970's.

3. There is no rule for tipping, you can tip boat crew and dive center staff if you want, how much is at your discretion.

4. In our center, 5 days of diving (2 dives per day for licensed divers) costs US$160. A full set of dive gear costs US$18 per day. Add 10% sales tax. We can do extra dives and/or night dives at extra cost.

5. Don't be fooled by reports that Hurghada's reefs are "damaged". You haven't dived with us yet.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to contact me! Best Regards,
Hassan

Hassan Adly:
Hello Pilot Fish,

I am very pleasantly suprised to see your message since I registered on this board literally about 24 hours ago.

Anyway, I am the owner of Marlin Inn Dive Center and I can answer most of your questions.

1. Americans can consider themselves 100% safe in Egypt. Violent crime is virtually non-existant in our country.

2. Sharm-El-Sheikh is an Egyptian city, although it was briefly occupied by Israeli forces in the 1960's & 1970's.

3. There is no rule for tipping, you can tip boat crew and dive center staff if you want, how much is at your discretion.

4. In our center, 5 days of diving (2 dives per day for licensed divers) costs US$160. A full set of dive gear costs US$18 per day. Add 10% sales tax. We can do extra dives and/or night dives at extra cost.

5. Don't be fooled by reports that Hurghada's reefs are "damaged". You haven't dived with us yet.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to contact me! Best Regards,
Hassan

Salem Aleykum, Hassan. Shokran for your reply. How's that? Mania provided us with a list of words. I saw the webpage for your hotel. It looks nice. What would be the cost for one person in a room with bath? I might be traveling alone.

Have not made up my mind whether to vist your place or Sharm el Shiek, or even if I want to go to that area at all. As you can imagine, good diving is not my only concern .I hear that diving is better in Sharm?

Maybe I will vist your area this year, in shallah.

Hi Pilot Fish, I agree with what Mania and Hassan have said...Americans are perfectly safe in Egypt. Fact is, I feel safer in Egypt than in most Caribbean countries. I am also American and have been there three times, though only once for a diving trip. But I'm going again in 6 days. The diving is fantastic! Book a trip and go! Work out the little details like tipping later. Ask questions from the legions of divers who go to the Red Sea as often as we can.

regards,

Phil

Hassan Adly:

Hassan - some of the places in Hurghada are absolutly great - Aquarium, Giftuns...
But diving there and in Sharm I like Sharm diving sites more - Tiran is something that beats every Hurghada's places. And yes - I still think that some of Hurghada reefs are more damaged by humans that Sharm ones.
On the other hand once somebody is in Hurghada can also do Safaga or even MarsAlam - these places are great - while from Sharm is too far away.

What's the most important is that generally Egypt is a great country, diving there is WOW!!!! and - as it was mentioned by me and DutchDown before - it's safer than in our hometowns.
So guys if you can - pack your things and just go there!!!!
Mania

DutchDown:
Hi Pilot Fish, I agree with what Mania and Hassan have said...Americans are perfectly safe in Egypt. Fact is, I feel safer in Egypt than in most Caribbean countries. I am also American and have been there three times, though only once for a diving trip. But I'm going again in 6 days. The diving is fantastic! Book a trip and go! Work out the little details like tipping later. Ask questions from the legions of divers who go to the Red Sea as often as we can.

regards,

Phil

Thanks, Dutch. Is Sharm a better place to dive? What's a great place to stay in Sharm el Shiek? Are the costs about the same?

Sharm is a bit more expensive than Hurghada. As hotels and places to stay - well in both cities you have so many hotels varying from 3* to 5*+ so it's a lot to choose from.
In Hurghada I really liked Conrad - great hotel! In Sharm my favourite is Hilton Waterfalls. In Poland usually it's a package - charter flight plus hotel (Half board) and the prices are in the range of 600 (4* hotel) up to 1500 (5* hotel)US $ per week.
You can also stay at the Four Season if you want and can afford (it's an incredible hotel like a paradise) :D
Maybe a bit more about dive sites - dives in Sharm are deeper, most of them are drift ones sometimes with strong currents and so a bit more difficult. This is why for newbies I always advice first Hurghada, then later on Sharm. But from Hurghada you can do some great wrecks (i.e Salem) - they are a bit more in the south, close to Safaga. From Sharm they may take you to Thistlegorm but that's it - all Safaga wrecks are too far away.
So if you are advanced diver I propose Sharm.
But remember - Sharm is a typical tourist resort while Hurghada is a very interesting city with Sakkala - old town - very Egyptian. So the atmosphere there is different. Depends what are you looking for besides diving.
BTW both have great night clubs - in Hurghada this is Papa's Beach ( I love this place), in Sharm - Pacha (Bus Stop).
Mania

Pilot Fish, if you are going to Sharm, it will be pretty hard to go wrong with just about any of the hotels. It's a resort destination, so all the major chains are there, along with many fine smaller operations. I stayed at the Camel Dive Club and Hotel last january. My buddies and I all loved it. Good middle class hotel with a great bar. It's in the center of Na'ama Bay and just a short walk to everything including the harbor. Diving in Sharm is pretty much all boat diving...two perday, but you can often arrange a night dive. If you go there, you must arrange a day trip to Dahab. It's about an hour away by road and has two shore dives I consider unmissable...the Canyon and the Blue Hole. I'm heading to a tent camp in Marsa Alam this coming Sunday because I want to dive at least three times per day. They offer unlimited shore diving there along with two trips each day by jeep to other sites along the coast. I also get a free boat dive on Elphinestone Reef! yeaaaa!!!!

Book a trip to Egypt!

Phil

Phil
I envy you. Although i jus came back I'm ready to go again - never have enough of this place....
Mania
PS. Pilotfish - Camel Hotel, bar and Diving Centre is in fact next to Pacha - the best night club I saw.

DutchDown:
Pilot Fish, if you are going to Sharm, it will be pretty hard to go wrong with just about any of the hotels. It's a resort destination, so all the major chains are there, along with many fine smaller operations. I stayed at the Camel Dive Club and Hotel last january. My buddies and I all loved it. Good middle class hotel with a great bar. It's in the center of Na'ama Bay and just a short walk to everything including the harbor. Diving in Sharm is pretty much all boat diving...two perday, but you can often arrange a night dive. If you go there, you must arrange a day trip to Dahab. It's about an hour away by road and has two shore dives I consider unmissable...the Canyon and the Blue Hole. I'm heading to a tent camp in Marsa Alam this coming Sunday because I want to dive at least three times per day. They offer unlimited shore diving there along with two trips each day by jeep to other sites along the coast. I also get a free boat dive on Elphinestone Reef! yeaaaa!!!!

Book a trip to Egypt!

Phil

I guess the the big considerations for me would be how close to dive boat, whether you are picked up at hotel, as in Saba, and how comfortable and clean hotel is. Not interested in dico clubs and night life. Do they have safe gear storage and good rinse tanks in Sharm?

Back
Top Bottom