mask and fin ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hover

Reaction score
I am going to be replacing my old mask and v-drive fins with some newer more up to date equipment. The choices are endless, and of course each different manufacturer claims that their product is the best. What i am looking for is some advice from people that have actually used the some of the equipment that i am considering purchasing. I would greatly appreciate replys from anyone that has had any experience with any of the following equipment ---
FINS
Apollo Bio-fins, Mares plana Avanti Quattro ABS, Mares Volo, Force Fin
Pros, Scubapro Twin Jet Graphite, and Cressi Space Frog.

MASKS
Cressi Big Eyes, Mares ESA or Opera, Aqua Lung Vera, Tusa Splendive IV,
Zeagle Ranger, Seavision 2000, Oceanic Bivu2 or Shadow, and Dacor Sea
Shades.

I understand that many things are a big factor in selecting equipment. (like size,
swimming style, and the type of conditions under which dives take place.)
I am only looking for suggestions so that I can narrow my choices to a few so that I can test them for myself and then make my choices. I have been certified for 13 years now and for the most part I do recreational diving in low to medium current, warm water (usually wearing a short wetsuit, no dry suits, BBRRRR!! I hate the cold)
Please feel free to suggest any equipment you use and think that I should check out.

Hover,

For fins, I love my SP Jets. I used to dive with the Seaquest/Wenoka Reefflex and the Jets are so much more comfortable. I have added spring straps (last a lot longer than normal fin straps).

For a Mask: Look for one that is low volume, it is easier to clear and can give you a larger line of sight. I just picked up a Scubapro Frameless and it works very well. The oceanic Shadow is almost identical to the SP. Mares makes a nice low volume as well.

Eric

Hover,

I've been diving for about a year with Mares Quattros and I love them. IMHO, the #1 advantage to these fins = the buckles -- incredibly easy to take your fins on/off regardless of conditions, are VERY easy to adjust, and they have stayed firmly buckled every time I've used them (knock on wood). These are large blade fins, and as a result are probably a better choice for larger divers with stronger leg muscles. I tend to use a slow, long, gradual kicking motion, and I always feel I have more than enough power.

Hope this helps -- good luck with your choices.

I use the Mares ESA (I used to and I will again - right now they're beyond economical repair). I love the six panes and the fact you can get prescription lenses; I am not impressed with its durability.
I've tried the split fins and they are nice, but in my opinion not worth the extra money. I dive Frogs in open water and very old ScubaPro Jet fins for wreck penetrations & caves.
---------
For Ericfine50 - where'd you find spring straps?
Rick

Rick,

I got my from Jackie Smith in Fl. But you can now get them from Dive Rite and John Allen of Northeast Scuba Supply http://www.northeastscubasupply.com . They sell for about 45.00 a pair and are great for cave/wreck, no snag hazard and they last a lot longet than the fin straps. Most people go wit the L or XL. It depends on your foot size and the type of boot you wear (wet or dry)

Eric

It makes me happy to see a BB that gets replies quickly. I would like to thank you for taking the time to reply> Thank You!! And please keep your ideas and preferences coming!

DIVE ON!!

I use the Mares Plana Avanti Quattros and love em, love em, love em. Easy on and off... I use slow purposeful kick cycles and get great propulsion from them. If I have to "move" it, I can really get good speed from them as well.

The Sea Vision 2000 are also a thumbs up. I tried the Sea Vision original and the mask leaked a bit around the skirt.... I called SeaVision and they sold me the SeaVision 2000 model at cost. The colors at depth with the color correction is amazing... its something you should at least try if you get the opportunity.

'nuff said

Happy SCUBA

Thanx CCRN! :) I was curious about the color correcting lenses in of the 2000. Its good to hear that some one likes them. I will definately be looking further into them as a choice. I do some under water photography( really just point and shoot, nothing technical) and the 2000 peaked my intrest due to the fact that i would like to be able to discern colors at depth better that with a traditional mask. Ive been shocked at the photos that ive taken(thinking that the fish i was shooting was the subject) only to find that the corals in the background were much more colorful than i believed them to be. Thanx for the info!

make sure you try it out in a pool with regulator in mouth and evaluate the mask for leaking. and put one of those color graphs on a friends tank and look at it at depth.... if you are really adventerous, you can do what I did. I took two masks down... and switched at 80 feet to see the difference in the color palatte. Anyways... my wife and I love em as does teh whole shop staff I dive with.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom