Mask filling with water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scorcher

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, I bought this new mask after I tried it in the pool, and it seemed to fit really well and was comfortable. Yesterday we went diving in Key Largo, and I tried my new mask. When I turn my head and look backwards, it fills with water that eventually comes up to my eyes. If I push on the mask, it creates a vacuum, and the mask feels really tied. I tried adjusting the straps with the same results. It's a Tusa Freedom Elite M1003.

What am I doing wrong? I am a new diver and just got certified in May.

So, I bought this new mask after I tried it in the pool, and it seemed to fit really well and was comfortable. Yesterday we went diving in Key Largo, and I tried my new mask. When I turn my head and look backwards, it fills with water that eventually comes up to my eyes. If I push on the mask, it creates a vacuum, and the mask feels really tied. I tried adjusting the straps with the same results. It's a Tusa Freedom Elite M1003.

Check there's no hair or a hoodie breaking the seal - run a finger around it before you splash. It should slightly suck to your face underwater after gently equalising it without the strap over your head. If it still leaks then it's probably a case of following post #3.

If it happens only when you turn your head sideways, I would do the same in front of a mirror or your buddy (better an experienced one) to see what's going on. You should wear whatever you wear during the dive (hoods, regs etc). Most probably something is pushing your mask out of place, or your regulator hose is wrong length deforming the area around your mouth when you turn and water goes in through there. Have a look

To confirm, this only happens when you turn to look back?

First question, were you diving facing into a current that tried to take the mask off when you turned your head?

No, the water was very calm.

To confirm, this only happens when you turn to look back?
I noticed that it also happened right under my nose where I could feel a little bit of water coming in. It stopped when I pushed on the seal but happened again later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom