Mask Fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Hi,
My wife and I and our daugher went snorkeling. I dive, they don't yet.

We all used Sea Drops Anti Fog defogger. Their masks kept fogging while out of the water prio to the dive and into the dives, mine didn't. They have OMS masks, I have a Scubapro purge.

Any idea why? Water temps were like 72-73 today.

This anti fogger has always worked great for me, never had any problems.

Any idea's why they were having problems?

Did you clean them all with toothpaste or some other cleaner prior to use? If not give that a try. If you did try cleaning it again. I find the I have to redo it ever so often or it starts to fog again.

Good Luck.

Chad

Hi Scuba446

If there mask are new, you might try cleaning the inside and outside with toothpast (not gel). The mask come from the factory with a film on them and if it is not cleaned off it will cause the mask to fog. Toothpaste is a very mild abrasive and it will take the film off. Be sure to rinse it well though.

If there mask are not new it might be the method that they are putting on the defog. Try doing it for them. They may be rinsing it to many times. I don't know what sea drops suggest but I always let my defog dry out before I rinse it out.

The masks are not that new and I have scrubbed them upon receipt prior to use with toothpase.

I did it for them today, but, we didn't let it dry rpior to rinsing. Maybe that did it, or, today befroe we left home, I cleaned their mask up with dish soap as they were 'scummy' looking. Perhaps that did soemthing? Soap residue, perhaps?

I think the dish soap could definatly be the cause.

Good luck

Chad

Ahh,
OK, back to toothpaste scrub then...I wondered about that!

Bad move, eh?

Thanks..

I hope that works for you.

Chad

Try this; rub the sea drops onto the lenses, let them dry, then rinse once quickly before you put them on.

For the longest time, I had a hit or miss success with sea drops, until my LDS told me to let them dry then rinse quickly only once. I though they were kidding, but I tryed it. Presto, no more fogging, at all, at any temp. It evens lasts for a second dive most times, if I'm in a rush and have forgot to reapply.

Hope this helps.

Johnson's Baby Shampoo instead of the defogger. I met someone this past weekend that has been diving for the past 25 years & he said that it was the best thing he's used for anti-fogging. I'm gonna try it out next weekend!

Cindy
:turtle:

Hi guy,

I have the same problem with my Oceanic framelss and I think because it is a very low volume mask and somtimes even presses on my nose bridge it fogs up more. I have cleaned it many times with no avail so I only use my Seadive purge now.

Did the family have a good time? Were you able to find the park near the pavillion?

chuckrt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom