Mask Fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea,
We parked at Sevey's right by the 'tent.' By where Aquatic has their grill stashed. Nice time.

Looking forward to A-Bay though on the 24/25th.

My Oceanic frameless (Shadow), constantly fogs no matter what I do. Actually spit works the best on it. I have done everything to it. Tried softscrub, toothpaste, different defogging drops. Nothing works.

I recently bought a Cressi HORIZON..... and it has not fogged even once on me. I used softscrub on it one time and defog before my dives.

I think it depends on the mask.... and not so much on the diver.
Manufacturers ought know better before they release a mask.

Have them purchase a new Horizon... and be done with the problem. And..... they will be stoked at the new found vis!

I just use good 'ol spit, never had any troubles..

But yeah it depends on the mask not the diver, like someone has already said.

Thanks,
I already replaced it with a clone of my Scubapro Tri Vent which has been good to me, an she likes it as well. While a bit larger in volume, it offers a great sight picture and never fogs. Plus, I like the purge but best of all - you don't get a 'closed in ' feeling that the OMS low volume seems to offer.

I've had great luck with 500 psi Mask Defogger. :)

GP once bubbled...
I've had great luck with 500 psi Mask Defogger. :)
So have I...with the secret of using very little on the tip of a finger, and then letting it dry before dipping in the mask bucket before hopping overboard.

Another little tip I've "rediscovered" is to keep the exhaling through your nose limited to only reducing the squeeze on your mask.

I started exhaling through my nose a lot and the mask would fog something awful. This I remembered that the reason is that the air I'm introducing into the mask space has been warmed within my lungs and is hitting the cooler surface of the mask, causing fogging.

Now that I've quit that, the fogging problem hardly happens.

CTurtle once bubbled...
Johnson's Baby Shampoo instead of the defogger. I met someone this past weekend that has been diving for the past 25 years & he said that it was the best thing he's used for anti-fogging. I'm gonna try it out next weekend!

Cindy
:turtle:

Any Results Yet? Ive TONS of that stuff laying around.... (uncle scrooge here)

I'll second the use of baby shampoo. I carry a little spray bottle (found at Walmart) with a mixture of baby shampoo and water. Sometimes, I forget to rinse it out prior to putting it on, but like the label says, "no more tears". Works like a charm. Cheap too.

Mike

BTW, it also works great for getting drysuit seals over your hands. I suspect, it would work well for donning wetsuits too.

I have used baby shampoo and it does work well. One time while suiting up for an ice dive someone else rinsed my mask for me. They didn't do a good enough job because it wasn't long before I was blowing bubbles. No sweat, just let some water in to rinse. Before I was done my mask was completly filled with suds. I had to remove it to get it clear. That water was cold!

TexasMike once bubbled...
So have I...with the secret of using very little on the tip of a finger, and then letting it dry before dipping in the mask bucket before hopping overboard.

500 psi can last you a very long time, works great, and does not sting your eyes if you happen to splash water when washing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom