Mask Fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its a Magnum mask but I cant remember the maker (I'm thinking aqualung). Odd, it also cost $60.

Hey another vote on using a bic lighter,you just have to be a little careful,Hell we bring 40-50 new masks online at a time for our dive and snorkel boats,can you imagine trying to scrub all those till they dont fog?

I only saw one poster mention this... temperature differential.

Once you are sure the mask is properly conditioned...

Be aware of the dirrerence of the temps between your face, the water, and the mask.

Keep them as close together as possible... especially the water and the mask.

The mask on your face is just like the windshield of your car... colder outside means condensation (fog) on the inside.

If you are diving cold water, don't close your wetsuit up too early before getting in the water. It funnels ALL of your body heat to your head and face. Try to leave your shoulders out as long as possible.

Even a well conditioned mask is not able to make up for all extremes... or nose breathers!

Has anyone tried the Rain-x anti-fog wipes?

I used to keep my mask half full of water so I could finish a dive, until someone here recomended the baby shampoo. That was the end of the fog! 100% Johnson's baby shampoo. A little blob moved around with your fingers, quick rinse and get ready to see what you've been missing. Good Luck, Cheers, Buzz.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere that the rain-x wipes are not for close exposure to the eyes.. Check the label carefully on these before using on a scuba mask.

I only saw one poster mention this... temperature differential.

snip ---
Has anyone tried the Rain-x anti-fog wipes?

Predive/dive:
work up a good gob of spit...and hork one into the mask...wipe with fingers or if available some sea weed. rince. and leave water in the mask if you are not going to put it on right away. Next soak your face to cool it off. a warm face will fog your mask . Once you are ready to hit the water empty the mask out rinse and put it on.

Agreed. I use to use anti-fog, but spit works 10 times better (and its free).

For a sure fix, take a lighter and carefully burn the glass so a soot forms. Then, rub toothpaste to remove the soot.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I know what you mean. I saw one of the DMs in Cancun do the exact same thing on a brand new mask.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere that the rain-x wipes are not for close exposure to the eyes.. Check the label carefully on these before using on a scuba mask.

I contacted Rain-X directly and questioned them about thier products for use in a mask. They responded that thier products are NOT recommended due to the possibility of eye irritation.

Too bad... I love the stuff on my windshield.

Keep cleaning... simple, simple, simple.

I used to fog on every dive. I even tried a new mask but still got fog. Than I tried this.

spit.jpg

No more fog. It's the best I have ever used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom