mask squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

microdiver

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to the diving experience and am having a great time. I recently had a problem with mask squeeze and would like some input. I have been about 2 weeks healing from my mishap, my eyes are just about back to normal. My question is: Will this accident at all predispose me to a future problem? I purchased a new mask and I guess I had it adjusted a little tight. Could someone give me some suggestions as to how to know for sure that my mask will fit properly on my next dive? I know that I have to be sure to equalize my mask on my descent but any suggestions as to where to start the adjustment? ie: should my mask strap be loose when not under water? Should it be "just tight enough" that when I disembark from the boat I'd have to hang on to it of lose it?? Get where I'm going with this.? I just need a little help, I don't want to repeat this mistake. I'ts very embarrassing.:06:

I'm sure others will give you a better answer than I'll be able to, but make it tight enough to be comfortable and seal the water out. If the frame's touching you anywhere, it's probably too tight. The skirt of the mask should be snug against your face so that a strong current won't knock it off, but again, you don't want it cutting off circulation.

Make it comfortable, just make sure it's tight enough to stay on in the conditions you dive. I think a lot of it's up to what you think's comfortable more than what's "right" or "wrong". If water doesn't leak and currents aren't ripping it off your face, I'd say it's tight enough.

Don't be embarressed. I dove for a year or so before I realized my terrible headaches weren't from diving, but because I had my strap too tight. I would just play with the adjustments starting with the mask a little loose at first. It is pretty easy to tighten the mask underwater, but a little more difficult to losen. Eventually you'll find the adjustment where your mask doesn't leak or pop your eyes out. Good luck

A mask squeeze is not caused by a too tight mask strap, but by the effect of Boyle's Law on the air space in the mask on descent. You can easily prevent mask squeeze by simply exhaling through your nose on descent. Every time you equalize your ears, equalize your mask.

Walter:
A mask squeeze is not caused by a too tight mask strap, but by the effect of Boyle's Law on the air space in the mask on descent. You can easily prevent mask squeeze by simply exhaling through your nose on descent. Every time you equalize your ears, equalize your mask.

What Walter said and I think you could probably dive without a mask strap due to the water pressure but I think the reason you did not feel the negative pressure in your mask is because you had the dang strap to tight. I do what Walter said and in addition if I get the feeling that my mask is too tight I give a little puff out of my nose and everything is fine again. If your mask is too tight to start with then it may be hard to distinguish the first slight onset of mask squeeze.Just my newbie 2cents

Walter:
Yea, but I think I remember forgetting to equalize my mask early on too. You remember after a few mins of squeeze.

Don't feel bad, it will come naturally in time. Losen your mask, put it on, dive it for a minute or two at very shallow depths. If it leaks, it's too loose. Tighten it up a little and try again.

Chris

Don’t think too much into this, there is no big secret to it. Make sure it is comfortable and does not leak at the surface then, as the others said, as you descend (and if the mask becomes tighter) simply blow a little air out through your nose. This should loosen the mask enough to make it comfortable--just remember to inhale through your mouth instead of your nose. This is something that will become second nature as you get more dives under your belt.

microdiver:
Could someone give me some suggestions as to how to know for sure that my mask will fit properly on my next dive?

first, adjust your mask right:

you'll be surprised how "loose" your mask can be and still retain a seal

i would start by wearing the mask and adjusting it until it is comfortable.

then loosen it a little bit more

then you can either dunk your head in the bathtub or try it out in a pool

it will probably still be tighter than it needs to be to hold a seal. keep adjusting it
until it starts to leak. tighten it a bit, and you're done

then, at depth, just make a habit of blowing through your nose into the
mask. if you keep adjusting the pressure in the mask this way, you will
be ok.

I was taught the only reason for a strap is to keep the mask from falling off before you got under water. I know that when I wore a normal mask I would have the straps very loose.

However, that's not why you get mask squeeze. To prevent that just breathe out the nose as you go deeper and that will equalize the mask. I know some divers that breathe in the mouth and exhale through the nose all the time, they claim they get better SAC rates and no mask squeeze that way.

I've also found that different mask skirts will squeeze differently. When I first began, I had a mask that would put pressure on the base of nose where it meets my upper lip. God, it was excrutiating! Out of curiosity, I tried a different mask and found relief. The old mask that was "biting me" was immediately thrown in the trashcan. I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy...

If all of the great suggestions above don't work out, try a different mask. Often, the masks with the black silicone seem to be softer and less squeeze-prone. At least, that's how it has seemed to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom