mask squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the opposite problem, although I don't really think of it as a problem..I exhale through my nose all the time and the mask kind of bounces around on my face a little. I rarely have to clear the mask. Anyhow, as others have siad, get in the habot of exhaling a little through your nose and you won't have any mask squeeze. Regarding the tightness of the strap, be careful as too tight a strap will eventually mean breaking it and that's a big bummer if you're on a boat and don't have a spare. I keep meaning to buy one of those fancy straps.

I was surprised to see no one really talked about how to fit a mask. I was taught to try them on without the strap. you should be able to gently push it against your face, or hold it there and breath in through your nose, and it should stay as long as you don't exhale through your nose. So, they are right on the lack of a need for a strap. It's really just backup, I don't think mine stretches at all while on my head....not sure though..

Kwbyron:
I was surprised to see no one really talked about how to fit a mask.

Possibly because fit didn't seem to be an issue.

Kwbyron:
I was taught to try them on without the strap. you should be able to gently push it against your face, or hold it there and breath in through your nose, and it should stay as long as you don't exhale through your nose. So, they are right on the lack of a need for a strap. It's really just backup, I don't think mine stretches at all while on my head....not sure though..

That's not a good method of fitting a mask, although it is the most common. How hard are you pushing the mask against your face? Gently, what does that mean? How do you know if you're not pushing too hard? Push too hard and any mask will appear to fit.

Instead try this. Flod the strap in front of the mask. Look at the ceiling, then place the mask on your face. Gravity will cause a mask to seal if it really fits. If available, have a buddy look for gaps between your face and the mask. If any are seen, try another mask. If not, move to the sniff test you described. Don't touch the mask or bring your face down until after you sniff.

Walter:
Possibly because fit didn't seem to be an issue.
Well, I figured if eveyone was going to suggest getting a new mask...someone would have mentioned a good way to fit it. I agree though, the gravity method seems a better way to make sure you don't push it too tight. I just threw out what I was taught, which got me a really good fitting mask..maybe "touch the mask to your face" would have been better words..

Instead try this. Flod the strap in front of the mask. Look at the ceiling, then place the mask on your face. Gravity will cause a mask to seal if it really fits. If available, have a buddy look for gaps between your face and the mask. If any are seen, try another mask. If not, move to the sniff test you described. Don't touch the mask or bring your face down until after you sniff.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll be sure to try this too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom