mask squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer:
I've also found that different mask skirts will squeeze differently. When I first began, I had a mask that would put pressure on the base of nose where it meets my upper lip. God, it was excrutiating! Out of curiosity, I tried a different mask and found relief. The old mask that was "biting me" was immediately thrown in the trashcan. I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy...

If all of the great suggestions above don't work out, try a different mask. Often, the masks with the black silicone seem to be softer and less squeeze-prone. At least, that's how it has seemed to me.

I thought you dropped your old mask in 400 feet of water...:sofa:

that was his fifth mask.

his fourth mask i think got eaten by a dog.

I agree with what you're saying, but honestly I could not have equalized my mask by blowing a little air in it..I tried. It was extremely tight which is why I was asking how tight is "too tight" for the strap. I just wondered if there was a "rule of thumb" but I'm thinking it's a trial and error type of thing.

thanks for the info..I appreciate it.

that last post was a reply to Walter, I'm new at this, hit the wrong "reply".
Anyway, I just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions, they are all worthwhile and I will apply what I have read. You were all very kind and I feel a little less embarrassed now- a little. I am going now to try on my mask and adjust my strap accordingly. I'll let you know how I do. Keep your fingers crossed, I'm still on the mend. :05:

Hi Micro. I had the EXACT same problem with my first mask. Even when exhaling through the nose, the mask would not equalize. Unfortunately, I found this out at 65 ft in Cozumel.
My mask was on too tight. But even then, this mask would not equalize at pressure unless I grabbed it with both hands and tilted it slightly while I exhaled through my nose.
Finally, I ditched the mask and purchased a new one and haven't had the problem again. Might have been just they way my face fit in the mask.
I recommend getting a low-profile mask with fairly soft nose fittings.

SeanMc:
I recommend getting a low-profile mask with fairly soft nose fittings.

Is this the black silicone type mask that people are talking about? I spent 56.00 on the mask in Mexico. I had it on for about 30 seconds...Just long enough to ..."you know" Anyway, I hate to give up on it so soon, I'll have to try these other things first..
Thanks, it sure is nice to know I'm not alone.

A lot of people have their masks too tight because they think they need to get it tight to keep it from leaking. That can actually make it worse. If the mask is leaking, the most likely reasons are it either doesn't fit, you are smiling or otherwise moving your mouth and thus breaking the seal there, or you are breathing too much through your nose and breaking the seal.

One time while working with students in a pool, my mask strap somehow slid off the back of my head and was lying loose on the top of my head. I didn't know it had happened for about ten minutes.

I think the trick is to welcome, not avoid, mask squeeze. Wear that diving badge of honor proudly!!!

CHUD:
I think the trick is to welcome, not avoid, mask squeeze. Wear that diving badge of honor proudly!!!

Hahahaha.....Have you ever had a face hickey?? you made me laugh though...thanks.
I needed it. Where I'm from, there are not that many scuba divers..especially in my profession. So there really is an element of pride in my circle....they are all too scared.
I'm a hero...haha, that makes me laugh too!:D

Back
Top Bottom