Mask strap under/over hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got such a good response from my last question I thought I'd ask another.

I recently heard someone mention that they wear their mask strap under their hood (to stop it from getting knocked off). What would the DIR perspective be? Not just a yes or no please. I am interested in the pros/cons/reasoning behind it. On the surface it sounds reasonable but I am wondering if there is a negative I haven't thought of.

I personaly have it over my hood. I would think DIR would be the same since the one of the basic 5 is to remove and replace your mask. Keeping th strap under the hood would make this very hard to do.
Most diver that are (GUE/DIR)trained are more than comfortable not having a mask on. On every non Deco dive I do the basic 5 and then some. I even do maskless asents to feel the pressure diffrence so when doing the skill I can feel if im keeping my level in the water. ( just started this so Im still working on it this)

How the hell would you get it UNDER your hood?

:idk:

I've never done it. I know that one should be able to deal with a knocked off mask, making it somewhat unneccisary, but is keeping the mask on securely worth the lack of ability to remove it (if you know what I mean). Would DIR have an opinion on it?

I just ran down stairs and tried it. Pulling the hood over the mask sucked but putting on the hood, putting my head through the face hole, putting the mask on and pulling my head back out of the hole worked just fine.

Man, I must be bored.

but is keeping the mask on securely worth the lack of ability to remove it (if you know what I mean)...

Your mask can do more than come off.

I've never had a mask kicked off. But I have had two masks break (lens delaminate from frame), resulting in uncontrollable flooding.

I reached down to my right pocket, pulled out the backup, and that was that. Under my hood, I'd likely have to remove the hood (or at least pull it very far back) to remove a broken mask. If it's cold enough to necessitate a hood, I want it to stay in place.

As was mentioned, many of us train maskless ascents, airshares, and whatnot. I certainly could complete a dive without a mask. But, to me, that defeats the purpose since I dive to see the underwater world.

As for getting it on, I think it would be a huge PITA with my hood. I've seen people with zipper hoods that would probably make it easier.

How the hell would you get it UNDER your hood?

Step 1: Put hood on, but keep it around your neck.
Step 2: Put mask on, pull hood over head like you normally would.
Step 3: ...
Step 4: Profit

:D

I know some people that do this all the time -- in case your mask strap breaks, the chances of having your mask fall off are pretty slim. I tried it, however, and it did a wonderful job of letting water in right next to my ears. Having constantly flushing water in your hood kinda defeats the purpose of a hood...

I think it depends on your head/mask/hood combo and whether or not the hood will effectively seal against your head with the kind of mask you're wearing. For me it just didn't work. No big deal. Personally I think it looks nicer to have your mask strap under your hood, but it's just an aesthetics thing. :eyebrow:

Note that it won't work very well if you are using a neoprene 'slap strap' instead of the normal rubber mask strap.

:rofl3: Hmmm... 5 yard penalty for illegal use of Underpants gnomes reference! Still third down....

Step 1: Put hood on, but keep it around your neck.
Step 2: Put mask on, pull hood over head like you normally would.
Step 3: ...
Step 4: Profit

:D

I know some people that do this all the time -- in case your mask strap breaks, the chances of having your mask fall off are pretty slim. I tried it, however, and it did a wonderful job of letting water in right next to my ears. Having constantly flushing water in your hood kinda defeats the purpose of a hood...

I think it depends on your head/mask/hood combo and whether or not the hood will effectively seal against your head with the kind of mask you're wearing. For me it just didn't work. No big deal. Personally I think it looks nicer to have your mask strap under your hood, but it's just an aesthetics thing. :eyebrow:

Note that it won't work very well if you are using a neoprene 'slap strap' instead of the normal rubber mask strap.

I"m also one of those that tried the mask under hood thing. As SB reported earlier it allows more water to flush in and out which defeats the purpose of the hood.

I wear my mask under my hood. The only thing it probably complicates is allowing the instructor to remove the mask (requires pulling the hood back etc). Consequently, when I am in a class, I wear it on the outside.

In very cold water, I wear the strap on the outside as it does prevent the straight shot of water to my ears - but we are talking water colder than 55 degrees or so.

Functioning without a mask is a basic skill that OW divers have to master, so I don't hold it forward as a very difficult skill.

I do find that keeping the mask on under the hood protects the stap more and decreases the risk of it being dislodged so it is worth the minimal extra donning and removal effort. I have had mask straps break but I have never had a lens fail, break, etc. If that is a problem for a diver they need to buy something better than a wal-mart mask.

My thought is that adding some increased protection against the most likely failure is worth pursuing. For example having the mask come off or having the strap break creates the risk of losing it and in either case that risk is reduced with the mask strap under the hood and doing so would be optimum. In very cold water however, warmth is the primary consideration so wearing it on the outside is optimum.

I have a lot of trouble using the basic five as a rationale for how you wear the mask. Shutting down an engine is great practice for engine failure during flight traiing, but starting out low on fuel to facilitate an engine failure for the purposes of training is pretty stupid. Wearing the mask on the outside to make it easier to remiove and replace is subject to the same logic. Increasing a threat just to make training easier just does not make sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom