Mask strap under/over hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well... not to open a MOF debate... but, from experience I can tell ya' that there ARE times when getting that mask off your face to make breathing easier... MUH (Mask Under Hood) just would not be good here...

... and then there's that "Cold water incursion" issue with MUH that others mention... WARM is good... that's why I wear a hood... when I wear a hood...

... and, finally... umm... weaseling a hood on over the top of a mask (... and I imagine it might also depend on what SIZE mask you're wearing...)... just seems wierdly uncomfortable...

... if you're worrried about loosing a mask... carry a spare... or put a bungie on it...

I have a lot of trouble using the basic five as a rationale for how you wear the mask. Shutting down an engine is great practice for engine failure during flight training, but starting out low on fuel to facilitate an engine failure for the purposes of training is pretty stupid. Wearing the mask on the outside to make it easier to remove and replace is subject to the same logic. Increasing a threat just to make training easier just does not make sense.

DA Aquamaster, I kinda understand what your saying. But I do not see how keeping your mask strap over your hood is increasing a threat. I would think that having to remove your hood then replace your mask, then install your hood again is 2 extra steeps that can make the dive become very dangerous. I though DIR was a way to keep it safe and not add dangers to diving.

Like I said in my Post above, I do this basic 5 in none deco dives. I do this because if I have a problem I could make a safe ascend if needed. As we know deco is a imaginary overhead. So as to your flight training to start with low fuel is the same as doing this skill with 30min of deco left.

As this is in the DIR forum so lets keep it DIR, Remember keep diving safe and keep diving fun.

I had a problem with the isolator knob pushing my mask strap up and off my head. A former WKPP member recommended I put the strap under my hood. I tried it, but the hood didn't seal well, and for some odd reason, the mask tended to leak more as well. I suspect the hood pulled on it somehow when I turned my head. Anyway, I went back to outside the hood and just check the strap from time to time during the dive.

I always have my hood over my mask strap. I find it works really well. For me this practice has eliminated my mask from flooding. As for the comfort factor, I donÃÕ notice any difference.

If you want to try it and make it an easy/comfortable process it helps if you thoroughly wet the hood first. Mask removal/replacement is also easy; you just peel your hood back, replace the mask then put the hood back in place.

I have had mask straps break but I have never had a lens fail, break, etc. If that is a problem for a diver they need to buy something better than a wal-mart mask.

I don't know whether it was a design flaw, how I was caring for it, or simple bad luck, but they both failed in exactly the same way.

The frame came apart where I've circled it, which allowed the lens to delaminate.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 111
I found the best mask that fit and was well made is the Diverite masks. I have tryed the both of them and can not say one thing bad.

I found the best mask that fit and was well made is the Diverite masks. I have tryed the both of them and can not say one thing bad.

Per one of my teammates' suggestion, I'm now using an Atomic mask. I liked it enough to buy two (primary/backup).

Per one of my teammates' suggestion, I'm now using an Atomic mask. I liked it enough to buy two (primary/backup).

I have one, but would buy another in a heartbeat! It's the first mask ( out of 5 ) that I really, really like.

I have never had a strap break (neoprene) but the pins holding the strap to the frame have a couple times.

Unless I had a thin, loose hood (which would be pointless) I don't think I could get a strap underneath

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom