Master Diver - worth getting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well lets be fair it does show you are at least Rescue Diver Trained, have completed a minimum of 50 dives and have committed to additional training. So it does hold some value over and above AOW or Rescue.

I agree it shows the diving shop/operation you are a fool who will easily be parted with your money. It's of immense value to them.

I can't think of 5 specialities worth doing... Nitrox, Deep (for holidays), Wreck (for holidays)... That's about it.

Does it mean you get free stuff? Or at least a discount on dives? Or maybe the best seat on the dive boat?

If not, then it appears to be just as worthwhile as an OW.

I agree it shows the diving shop/operation you are a fool who will easily be parted with your money. It's of immense value to them.

I can't think of 5 specialities worth doing... Nitrox, Deep (for holidays), Wreck (for holidays)... That's about it.

I did Advanced Buoyancy Control, Nitrox, Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, and Rescue. And Solo, after I had my MSD card.

I think those are all totally worthwhile - presuming having a good instructor, of course.

Last edited:

Drysuit...needed for some rentals
O2 Provider...helps in getting Emergency O2 cylinder fills at certain gas suppliers
Self Reliant Diver...lets you dive alone at some locations

if you have completed your 5 specialties and minimum dives then you may as well collect your MSD rating if for nothing more than a sense of achievement and its of course its nice to hand the card over the counter to any new dive shops. I think even though some alternative agencies make it more challenging to achieve your still going to be a in low percentage of people that have achieved the rating so why not go for it.

But it's a certification for show only, in terms of actual usefulness it doesn't have any.
That's how I feel about a Master instructor card..yeah,it shows that you taught a bunch of rescue,divemasters,asst instructors, taught in a few IDC's, but does not have much usefulness.some may see it as a ok thing, perhaps for marketing, but go after 40 years being a PADI instr paying dues,insurance,creating other dive pros (income streams) for PADI you would think they would simply issue the rating as a sign of recognition and thanks. They rather charge a fee to send a card out. Not planning to upgrade from IDC staff to course director here so will not bother. Don't need no stinking badges!

I don't qualify for it, so I can't answer meaningfully.
Really? Why not?

Faced with the same choice a little while ago, I went tech instead. Tech will make you a better diver, master just means you Put Another Dollar In. For me, it's all about the skills & experience

PADI master diver is a card you can buy after Rescue and 5 random specialties. (And yeah 50 logged dives, I know.) It's good that it probably encourages some people to take Rescue, but I see it mostly as a PADI marketing scheme to get people to do more specialties. I wouldn't show a Master Diver card even if they gave it to me for free - I'd be embarrassed since I'd think it might make a shop think I was gullible.

I have nothing against specialties, many can be good, but there's nothing magic about 5. I'd have a higher opinion of PADI master diver if there were some required specialties and you had to choose any electives from a shortlist that included only the more solid dive skill specialties, not stuff like fish ID or equipment or photography. Not that there is anything wrong with those if you're interested, but 5 fluff specialties does not make anyone a "master" diver.

You missed Peak Performance Buoyancy - to me, that was the most meaningful courses I've taken so far (actually should be tacked onto OW as a basic requirement in my opinion). I could also see the Deep specialty being worthwhile if it is taught correctly to better understand the limitations/risks at deeper depths and to learn to ID and manage narcosis effects.

I just think the title of "Master Scuba Diver" seems premature given the relatively low bar of requirements...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom