Master Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Horn:
They should make it a a better program just to have basic certification and from there you could go and apply for and receive actual "specialty" training for things like nitrox and sport a card for this. I don't see the point of all this "specialty" certification and the "advanced" dive card money pit.

As a responsible diver it is training (mostly practice and study combination) that make you a better diver. The card means very little if nothing at all. The most important card is the initial training card, after that.....what ever.

How can a person be a "specialized" wreck diver with 5 dives??? or Specialized underwater photographer after 5 camera dives. It's like "drysuit specialty" ??? practice practice practice..........card.......who cares! What you are like underwater is not reflected on the face of a plastic card.....................

There are a scant few specialty cards I would support as true specialties. These are more of the entrance requirements than 'master' level though.

Think Cavern-Cave certs
Think Tec-wreck (with penetration)
Think Nitrox - Deco procedures (on through various tec levels)
Think Drysuit - (if you have to rent one, its proof of proper training)

Most though, are fluff. They can serve other roles though. If you're interested in underwater photography, that cert class may give you a jumpstart to where you want to go. That said, explain the PADI Boat Diver card.....

This might only be me but the term "speciality" is miss understood. The term doesn't mean this person is great "wreck" diver. It just means they have been trained in that "speciality".

Once I got OW I started diving every chance I got. Since then there have been a few things I have wanted find out more info. about so I went and talk to my instructor and if there is a class or book I take it to learn. I am not getting cards for each speciality but rather just directing them towards my AOW/MD card. So I will only have one card and not one for each speciality.

I just completed my NAUI Master Diver cert and we learned a LOT. We had 8, 3.5 hour classroom sessions and went far beyond what the book covered. Each of the NAUI tests had an equal number of questions added by the instructor that were not covered in the text. We were given study guides which required several hours of research, mostly web based, to complete. Some of the dives were done in the quarry but at least 2 required going out on the lake. It was a great class and a lot of fun. Aside from OW it was the first class where I really came away feeling like I was challenged and learned something. Our instructor was not willing to just give us a card because we paid for the class. Most of the credit for the class goes to him.

Joe

When I first got certified NAUI had the OWI cert (today's Openwater) the OWII cert. (today's AOW) and the Advanced cert (today's Master Diver). The Master Diver class is very academic as neil said, the exam is a real bear. Depending on the instructor this class can really be interesting as it may involve environmental studies complete with written reports, mapping of quarries/wrecks/etc., lifting projects (big things like boats) and pool sessions that can include any skills your instructor can think of. I know we got to swim laps using regulators with different malfunctions (no mouthpiece, hole in diaphragm, freeflow, etc.).
Ber :lilbunny:

neil:
Apples and oranges.
You could certainly make the case that the NAUI course has less "training" because fewer dives are required, 8 vs. 5 specs and rescue, but the NAUI course has a much more rigorous academic component. It covers physics, physiology, environment, safety, equipment, to name a few. I'd go out on a limb and say that not many PADI Master Diver card holders could pass the test that is required in this course.
It's a different course with the same name.

I agree they are apples and oranges with the same name. I doubt many NAUI Master Divers could pass the tests required for all the certs leading to the PADI Master Diver. I'm quite sure a combination of the NAUI and PADI programs would be better than the individual tracks.

--Matt

gangrel441:
I know they don't do it automatically, since mine does not list my nitrox...and I was told by a PADI rep that they don't do it at all. If any of you can tell me what I need to do to get a card that lists MSD and Nitrox, that would be valuable to me, as it would establish AOW, Rescue, EANx, and 50 logged all at in one card.

It looks like it applies to Master. Here's the URL for the replacement cards-
http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/replace/

This is the mail I originally got. It appears that even though it supposedly expired 2004, you can still get them.

Are you tired of carrying several C-cards to have the option to dive with enriched air? With PADI's limited edition replacment cards, you can have Enriched Air Diver recognition on your core certification card. Bottom line: you only need to carry one card now!

For a limited time only, when you order a new vibrant certification card, you can include Enriched Air recognition for no extra cost. What a great value!

Get your new Enriched Air Diver replacement card and take advantage of these great benefits:

* With breathtaking images to choose from, your card will stand out from the rest.
* Make sure you don’t miss a dive due to a forgotten card. Order extras to keep in your dive bag, wallet, BC pocket or passport.
* If you’re not entirely happy with the photo on your current card just submit a new picture.
* With the holiday season approaching these limited edition cards make great gifts for that hard to shop for dive buddy. Surprise your dive buddy with a new card-- great for stocking stuffers!

But even more importantly, PADI will donate a portion of proceeds to two Hurricane Relief Funds helping those stricken by the recent storms in Florida, USA and throughout the Caribbean. Proceeds will go to relief funds set up by The American Red Cross and the Caribbean Tour Organization.

Getting your replacement card is fast and easy. Click here.

But you might want to hurry because these limited cards are available only until 31 December 2004. Offer valid for PADI Americas territories only while supplies last.

(Enriched Air Diver recognition available only for Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Rescue, or Master Scuba Diver certification levels).

Courses outside the realm of what you would expect as a "normal" rec diver should be the "specialty" training.

Cudos to the instructor who went far and beyond to give you a good course. Pushing your limits safely is the only way to praticaly learn. My OW was two months twice a week for four hours pool/instruction and the ow dives in the ocean at 32 F in a wet suit. Yes I live in a coooooold place from time to time but a dive a 50 F water is still pretty nice (gotta dive dry) and a dive where vis is better than 10'.....wow, night dives ....better than 70% due to work etc...wreck...if we can find them......photo.....psssss.....camera flooded but working on getting something better...........................diving...........any condition..............................LOVE IT!

Damselfish:
It looks like it applies to Master. Here's the URL for the replacement cards-
http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/replace/

This is the mail I originally got. It appears that even though it supposedly expired 2004, you can still get them.

You can still get them. I just got my combined Master/Nitrox card.They also sent me a certificate suitable for framing, and (tada!) a backpack with a PADI logo and "Master Scuba Diver" embroidered on it.

pete340:
You can still get them. I just got my combined Master/Nitrox card.They also sent me a certificate suitable for framing, and (tada!) a backpack with a PADI logo and "Master Scuba Diver" embroidered on it.

Just got mine and the wife's yesterday in the mail. It's funny, we got our cards and folders 2 months ago, and just this week, I went out to check the PADI Master Scuba Diver Challenge website. I knew what the instructors get as incentive, but noticed that it mentioned on the site the backpack and custom certificate. I thought, hmmm....didn't get either of those...

The next day, they show up in the mail. Wife brought the boxes in, wanted to know what I ordered from PADI. :D

Hey, I'm not above accepting a freebie...

Most of the really experienced divers I know would never show anything above an AOW card when diving. They don't want to be identified by boat crews as instructors, rescue divers, or DM's when they are diving for pleasure. They simply want to enjoy diving for a change and be responsible to no-one. They also never brag about their number of dives or the level of training they have.

In contrast, we've all been on a boat with someone who is a card collector and makes sure we ALL know how great they are. Then we watch them destroy 100 year old coral with their horrible buoyance control. <sigh>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom