Master Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia:
Personally, I think the PADI Master Diver cert is a total waste. Take the specialties for their own sake. If you've taken them, gotten rescue, and have a bunch of dives, why pay more for a card that doesn't teach you anything you don't already know? It's for card collectors, and not worth the plastic it's printed on IMHO.

I'd rather spend my money on a 6th specialty than on a meaningless wallet thickener, and I'd advise anyone else to do the same. Do you want to be a better diver, or pay to be called one?

WOW! I am going to copy this and in the future when someone ask on SB Ill just paste this responce. As I could not have said it better myself.

DiveMe:
Most of the really experienced divers I know would never show anything above an AOW card when diving. They don't want to be identified by boat crews as instructors, rescue divers, or DM's when they are diving for pleasure. They simply want to enjoy diving for a change and be responsible to no-one. They also never brag about their number of dives or the level of training they have.

Rescue doesn't give the diver any added responsibility, just training. As for instructors/DMs...if they don't want to accept the responsibilities that come with going pro, not really sure why they went that route in the first place...

DiveMe:
In contrast, we've all been on a boat with someone who is a card collector and makes sure we ALL know how great they are. Then we watch them destroy 100 year old coral with their horrible buoyance control. <sigh>

True...but not everyone who has cards is a card collector, and not every diver who tells you he/she has 50, 100, 150 dives logged falls into this catagory. Some may just be proud of achievements, and always looking for the next achievement. This could be what drives them to be a better diver and to learn more about staying off the corals and practicing good boyancy control.

Haven't many of us encountered situations where a boat captain/DM/dive guide wouldn't take us to a particular site without first establishing a level of skill and experience? Skill can be tested on a checkout dive. Experience can only be verified through documentation. A MSD card establishes a min of 50 dives logged and a number of training environments through specialty courses, as well as self-rescue skills learned in Rescue. And by showing that card, you are condensing what you have to carry with, thus not comming across as a card collector.

gangrel441:
Haven't many of us encountered situations where a boat captain/DM/dive guide wouldn't take us to a particular site without first establishing a level of skill and experience? Skill can be tested on a checkout dive. Experience can only be verified through documentation. A MSD card establishes a min of 50 dives logged and a number of training environments through specialty courses, as well as self-rescue skills learned in Rescue. And by showing that card, you are condensing what you have to carry with, thus not comming across as a card collector.
Yes, but I've only ever been asked to show "AOW or better" for deep or challenging dives, or "Technical certification" for dives with planned deco. So far, no charter I've done (outside of training) has required rescue, specialty certification (excepting EANx for nitrox fills), or a certain number of dives. Why it would be an advantage to be able to prove, with a single card, that you have experience no one is asking about is beyond me.

matt_unique:
PADI has the Master Diver certificate of recognition once you complete Rescue and 5 specialities. NAUI has a Master Diver course but it involves less training and has fewer requirements compared to the PADI Master Diver program.

You can check the respective websites for the details but in summary:

NAUI: Must have Advanced Certification and complete a course which includes 8 dives. A skin dive may count for one of these. There are no minimum requirements beyond having completed the Advanced certification (no min # of dives, etc.).

PADI: Must have Rescue certification, min of 50 logged dives, and complete 5 specialties.

I wish the requirements for all dive certifications were more rigorous. With that as a caveat, I think a Master Diver program serves as a good tool to continue training beyond Open Water. Along the way you may get some great instructors and experience multiple environments.

--Matt

Have you read the NAUI textbook for the class? Have you taken the exam?

Just curious how it compares to the PADI Master Diver text and exam???

DiveMe:
Most of the really experienced divers I know would never show anything above an AOW card when diving. They don't want to be identified by boat crews as instructors, rescue divers, or DM's when they are diving for pleasure. They simply want to enjoy diving for a change and be responsible to no-one. They also never brag about their number of dives or the level of training they have.

In contrast, we've all been on a boat with someone who is a card collector and makes sure we ALL know how great they are. Then we watch them destroy 100 year old coral with their horrible buoyance control. <sigh>

The only card anyone has ever asked me for said "Nitrox" on it :05:

DiveMe:

Lol! Great post.

MSilvia:
Yes, but I've only ever been asked to show "AOW or better" for deep or challenging dives, or "Technical certification" for dives with planned deco. So far, no charter I've done (outside of training) has required rescue, specialty certification (excepting EANx for nitrox fills), or a certain number of dives. Why it would be an advantage to be able to prove, with a single card, that you have experience no one is asking about is beyond me.

Not a matter of being asked for it so much as being up front about where one is. I do not consider myself to be an exceptional diver, I most certainly do strive to be one. PADI AOW establishes that one has a grand total of 11 dives logged. Everyone here complains about (and rightfully so) that 11 dives logged is not enough experience to establish that you have a fair degree of experience. I think 50 is a much better number, and were I a boat captain, I would think that for this reason, a MSD card would hold more water with me in establishing that a diver could handle a more challenging site. Haven't you seen AOW divers who have no business being below 60 ft? I have.

I consider it showing my guides a little bit of assurance that I'll be ok.

Incidentally...since you mention never recalling being asked to see a Rescue card....does that mean you would not recommend that a diver take Rescue?

gangrel441:
I consider it showing my guides a little bit of assurance that I'll be ok.

yeah but does U/W Photographer , Boat Diver, Fish ID, Creature ID, Nat Geo Diver, let anyone know that "youll be ok".
(If that was a joke Im sorry, but you forgot to put a smiley face)

gangrel441:
Incidentally...since you mention never recalling being asked to see a Rescue card....does that mean you would not recommend that a diver take Rescue?

The reason alot of folks take clasess is to learn; not to have a card they can show. Ive never been asked for a Rescue card either and think its just a wallet thickner like mike said However the class is one of the best out there. Why would I ever carry that? Are folks gonna want to see my rescue card before assisting them inthe water? hope not!

I dont even know why you would make such an assumption about that statement? I think you unknowingly make the card=knowlege connection

I carry my EAN card to get fills and and now my cave card to gain acsess to sites, and most importantly my Master card to pay for fills and admission (but not the one you guys are talking about :05: )

gangrel441:
No, it only means that no one has ever used rescue diver certification as a prerequisite for any of the non-training dives I've done.

I think rescue diver is one of the best diving classes I've taken, and I'd recommend it to anyone who dives without hesitation. I recommend it because I believe the training is valuable, and because I believe it makes divers safer, more confidant, and better equipped to handle emergencies... not because a person without it is likely to be barred from certain dives.

I've used that training to assist divers in distress on more than one occasion, and to date none of them have asked to see my rescue card. IMHO, taking classes is about developing and maintaining skills, not about getting the small plastic rectangle at the end.

narcT:
Have you read the NAUI textbook for the class? Have you taken the exam?
Just curious how it compares to the PADI Master Diver text and exam???

There is no single text or exam for PADI. Each specialty has it's own material and only a few have actual exams. Most of them only have "Knowledge Reviews" for the academic material.
The NAUI course has one text and a standardized exam which the instructor can add to if desired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom