Master.........Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took 210cf of gas to carve a pumpkin in a 12' deep pool, just for the practice moving around with the rig on. I went on a 30' pond dive with a friend, but we decided to do the dive after the dive shop closed, so he had to use double HP100s with trimix. I think there's a lot of reasons to show up "overgeared", but they aren't all stupid.

I am a scuba diver since about 1 1/2 year with closely 250 dives! And i am working on my DiveMASTER.

I am not perfect, or i do not know everything!

But, i think, it is not about how many dives i or others have! Or how long i am scuba diver!
I think its the ability, to see things before they happend, or to know what your buddy or Instructor needs!

i rather diving with someone who is new, than an 10 year diver with 150 dives in his log!

I did a beachdive a while ago with a friend, who invited an other diver....
the other diver show's up with tec gear on a beachdive! he dives for years, he said! :confused:

I mean nothing happend was a normal dive. But the reef is in only 20 feet of water, i mean what an paranoid idiot was that.

You guys should have seen his gear, he was ready for the Titanic!

So anyhow, if you have enough dives (minimum requ.) and you think your are confident, yes go for it! Become a Master...

I dive alot with people who use tech gear for sometimes as little as 20 feet of water. It really does not hurt anything what so ever to have too much though it does have a questionable appearance.

Its like driving in a school zone. You can ride a moped at 25 mph and accomplish the same thing that a roush stage 3 mustang will when doing only 25 mph. When you have to worry is when you go for a tech dive and they show up with the wrong gear :)

LOL who knows he may find the titanic the hard way :)

And by the way I do agree with you. I would rather dive with a new diver any day over experienced divers. Id rather hear people ask me for advice then tell me how the sun sets on their diving career and how they were taught by God himself.

I guess you know little of nothing about nursing.

I don't recall advocating macho, invulnerability, impulsiveness, and anti-authority. If you have decided that, "He or she no longer needs to rely on rules, guidelines or maxims and posses an authoritative knowledge of the disciplines that make up diving that leads to a deep tacit understanding of, as well as a holistic and intuitive grasp of situations" equates with any of those four terms ... the problem is with your grasp of the English language, because there is neither intent nor evidence of such a coupling.
Of lack of both.:rofl3:

Specifically, which rules and guildlines do you advocate replacing with authoritative knowledge and how does one determine they have enough authoritative knowledge to do this?

If that were the case, then other areas where human error can cause significant danger would also be governed by the same logic?

Personally, I wouldn't fly with a commercial pilot who, regardless of experience, felt they knew better and could disregard the rules and procedures laid down for them.

Well, I like the idea of a pilot following all the rules. However, I would prefer a pilot who, when the **** hits the fan & they are faced with a unique situation, doesn't just keep doing the same old, same old, until we hit the ground in a spectacular manner, but will throw the book out the window & do whatever it takes to get the craft on the ground safely.

Someone like Al Haynes, who managed to land his United Airlines DC-10 without hydraulics in Sioux City, Iowa, in 1989 using only engine thrust. No one taught him how to do that.

Specifically, which rules and guildlines do you advocate replacing with authoritative knowledge and how does one determine they have enough authoritative knowledge to do this?
All rules and guidelines can be replaced in that fashion, which is not to say that alternate conclusions will be reached, we are talking about process more than result.
If that were the case, then other areas where human error can cause significant danger would also be governed by the same logic?

Personally, I wouldn't fly with a commercial pilot who, regardless of experience, felt they knew better and could disregard the rules and procedures laid down for them.
Who ever suggested disregarding? Again it is a question of ability, knowledge and process, oft with the same result since the rules and procedures where developed by one (or more) with enough authoritative knowledge to do so in order to assist those who are at a level that all they can do is respond in a rule based fashion.
It's a character flaw... I admit it. In my own defense, I have tried nursing several times, but I prefer scotch.
Cute, but it does not address the point you were failing to make.

Cute, but it does not address the point you were failing to make.

My point, Thal, is that I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :D

I have to agree with your feelings evan though i am a relatively new diver only having done 160 dives in the last two years. I was very excited about each new level of achievement and hitting the master certification was one of my goals from the beginning but more so as a point of very basic understanding of the scuba skill set not for bragging rights i would hardly brag that i am a master diver instead i would say it is the beginning of understanding most of the basic aspects of the sport but it certainly in no way qualifies me as a master diver in any shape or form

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom