Master.........Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It appears as though many people share my humble opinion.

The word "master" has been watered down and many realize that certification does not quite hold the merit that it may have in the past. It is a shame.

Realize, however that there are many professions that have done the same thing:

*Certified Master Inspector (glorified home inspector, diploma mill)
*Sanitation Engineer (garbage man)
*Master Baiter (greenhorne on a crab/lobster/fishing boat)
*Master Carpet Fitter (flooring guy/girl)
*Master Chef (winner of a reality show)

And by the way, I am not slamming the educational and experience of the Master Diver or Dive Master certification, just the name. Any improvement in education and experience is a plus. They just need to name it something else and leave the master diver cert at the top of the food chain.

So is the term, "Master Instructor" just a glorified name as well?

The NAUI perspective on their Master Diver program is that a NAUI Master Diver should have the same water skills and book knowledge as a NAUI Instructor with the exception of the topics of NAUI as an organization, teaching diving and managing diving groups.

It appears as though many people share my humble opinion.

The word "master" has been watered down and many realize that certification does not quite hold the merit that it may have in the past. It is a shame.

Realize, however that there are many professions that have done the same thing:

*Certified Master Inspector (glorified home inspector, diploma mill)
*Sanitation Engineer (garbage man)
*Master Baiter (greenhorne on a crab/lobster/fishing boat)
*Master Carpet Fitter (flooring guy/girl)
*Master Chef (winner of a reality show)

This is true, but some professions still have a 'Master' title that is well deserved. For instance, Master Chief, the sole remaining spartan in the halo video game series who basically single handedly saves the human race from destruction :wink:

Yup, I tend to avoid anyone with master, professional, or whatever tacked to their name. In my opinion there are those who do the job, and those who talk about how good they are at doing the job.

I just finished my NAUI Master Diver course - so does that make me a hypocrite? Personally I didn't see much difference between OW, AOW, and Master Diver. :idk:

Agreed - obtaining my NAUI Master Diver certainly didn't make me a dive "expert". I didn't take the title seriously, although I appreciated the training for what it was: to build on techniques and scenarios I'd been exposed to previously. It also forced me to take on more responsibility, which was fun: my instructor demanded that I plan and lead dives for the rest of our group, as well as demonstrate skills for her OW/AOW students in the group. That was cool, but I was very aware that I wasn't a master (or mistress, in my case) diver in a true sense.

I'm surprised to hear you say that you didn't see much difference between OW/AOW and Master Diver. For me, the dive physics/physiology etc contained in the NAUI Master Diver course took the themes we'd learned in OW to a noticeably further level. I understand that NAUI Master Diver coursework is not far removed from the theory that dive professionals of other agencies are required to learn. That's not too shabby, but to emphasize again: I'm painfully aware that the theoretical knowledge I've acquired doesn't make me Richard Pyle!

Last edited:
I'm not gonna pay for AOW 3.

Master Scuba Diver sounds a lot cooler. I can't impress the chicks at the bar with a card that says AOW 3.

Good point!
Must remember to fumble through wallet at bar and let my c-card drop on the counter next to the hot chickie, then ask her if she has seen my MASTER DIVER card.
She'll probably tell me that they only take AmEx at the bar.

Good point!
Must remember to fumble through wallet at bar and let my c-card drop on the counter next to the hot chickie, then ask her if she has seen my MASTER DIVER card.
She'll probably tell me that they only take AmEx at the bar.

I take it that you've seen the episode of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" the DENNIS System?:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom