Master scuba diver - why the negativity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Master Diver
Dive Master

What is in a name? Just too similar. Change the names.

No one is or should be discouraging anyone from furthering their training.

Anyone who furthers their training should be commended for improving their knowledge and skills.

The problem is in the name but I guess it is too late to do anything about that.

There was a thread where a girl was bashed because of something she did but many people chastised her for being a DM with only 120 dives. If the system allow it then what is the problem?

At the same time 50 dives to be a Master Scuba Diver would not be a big deal if the name was something more appropriate. Laypeople don't know the difference between a master dive and a dive master. It is all in the name......

Well the ones who think there is only one way to dive are so busy slapping each other on the back congratulating each other on how "skilled" they all are with perfect trim and frog kicks etc.

There are those who choose to dive W/0 all the drills and the skills and light flashing and teams etc. Many of these divers still manage to have a great time. There is more than one way to dive.

There was a thread where a girl was bashed because of something she did but many people chastised her for being a DM with only 120 dives. If the system allow it then what is the problem?

At the same time 50 dives to be a Master Scuba Diver would not be a big deal if the name was something more appropriate. Laypeople don't know the difference between a master dive and a dive master. It is all in the name......

SB can be a tough audience because many very dedicated, experienced divers hang out here.

Compared to the average active SB poster, 120 dives may seem paltry. I wonder what the true median experience is of scuba divers worldwide? An average would be skewed by divers with 5,000+ dives, but the median would be interesting to know. Perhaps most certified divers never progress beyond BOW and tend to have fewer than 50 dives. In such a case, why not allow someone with 120 dives to instruct?

Well the ones who think there is only one way to dive are so busy slapping each other on the back congratulating each other on how "skilled" they all are with perfect trim and frog kicks etc.

There are those who choose to dive W/0 all the drills and the skills and light flashing and teams etc. Many of these divers still manage to have a great time. There is more than one way to dive.

If you are not going to it right? Why do it at all?

:wink:

In particular, I have seen references that the PADI Nordic office requested the removal of the mandatory night dive, due to summer daylight times in Scandinavian countries.

Night dives were illegal in Greece too meaning every centre had to get a waiver every year to teach AOW. It was ridiculous. There are still many areas which don't allow training or course dives at night. Was a good idea to make it optional, those that want to do it can still do it, instructors can force it if they feel like it but it means everywhere can comply with course standards.

I appreciate what you posted and I am not saying that you are wrong. However, having an MSD is not a scarlet letter carved in one's chest. If you have an MSD and pursued it for the sake of a guided education, nothing precludes you from showing your AOW and Nitrox card to the boat DM instead of your MSD card.

Yes, there is nothing inherently wrong with pursuing MSD in itself. The issue, if there is one, is internal and based on how one interprets why and what they have done.

It can be that one has made a commitment to further their dive education
It could mean that one has pursued a "bucket list" item and left it at that
It could mean one is a conciencious diver
It could mean one is a label seeker
It could mean one is open to learning
It could mean one has learned it all

The important thing is to be aware of what it means to you (the general, not specific, you). Ultimately, successful diving is about knowing your potentials, limitations, motivations, strengths and weaknesses. If you are secure in your reasons for taking a course it should not matter what others think. If it really bothers you what others think perhaps one should recheck their motivation.

There IS only one way to dive. Don't be ate the F up! (To use Army terminology).
If you want to sink underwater for awhile and suck on a hose, go ahead.
Or you can evaluate yourself, work on weak areas, and make attempts at improving.
Or just take it less seriously, ignore all that and have fun as well.
I don't care what people do, it's your diving.
Just don't try to sell me on the idea that I can just meet the bare minimum standards, and it's ok, because it's "fun".
Progressing is "Fun". Being competent is "fun".
Just my opinion. So don't get all bent out of shape about it.
Only one way? I guess so, be squared away...or not.
We all define "squared away" differently.

-Mitch

Last edited:
If you are not going to it right? Why do it at all?

Diving is like snowboarding and sex. Even if you are not very good - it is still fun! :crafty:

Diving is like snowboarding and sex. Even if you are not very good - it is still fun! :crafty:

Exactly why I am going to the mountains for the new years with the good woman. :wink:

Exactly why I am going to the mountains for the new years with the good woman. :wink:

Sex... right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom